McCain makes stop at closing DHL facility...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Naturally, not everyone was happy to see him. But he wanted to give 'em "straight talk". Isn't that nice.
McCane: "Your plant is closing and some of my people are responsible for it, but let's talk about it."

If he was in Texas, I couldn't see that ending well.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITI...olitics&iref=polticker

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain made a stop Thursday in Wilmington, Ohio, discussing job losses that could result from closing the local DHL shipping center.
McCain didn't answer any questions from reporters over reports that his own campaign manager lobbied for the corporate merger that led to the plant's proposed closure.

The campaign manager, Rick Davis, lobbied the Senate in 2003 to approve the merger of Airborne Express with German-based DHL, according to news reports.

DHL announced in May that it planned to close the plant to cut costs. The company reached an agreement with United Parcel Service to have its packages flown on UPS planes. Those packages would go though a nearby airport in Lexington, Kentucky, the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper reported Wednesday.

City officials told the Plain Dealer that the closure of the plant could mean the loss of more than 8,000 jobs.

"I am deeply troubled by the specter of job loss ... in the town of Wilmington ..." McCain told reporters Thursday afternoon. "We should explore all options in proceeding with [a] viable commercial development plan if DHL ceases operation."

After the press conference, McCain greeted 150 DHL employees, some whom were holding protest signs.

Democrats have called on McCain to use his past links to the company to help save the thousands of jobs at stake.

The Washington Post, citing lobbying records, reported in June that Davis' lobbying firm earned $125,000 from Airborne in 2003 and $465,000 from DHL between 2003 and 2005.

The Post also reported that McCain helped to overcome opposition to the deal by Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, who objected to foreign control of an American shipping company. McCain blocked an effort by Stevens to prohibit the foreign-controlled company from holding U.S. military contracts, the newspaper reported.

McCain's trip will not be the first time he has answered questions about the DHL plant closing. Mary Houghtaling, a Wilmington resident, asked McCain to investigate the park closing at a town hall meeting in Portsmouth, Ohio, on July 9.

"I have been briefed and read about the situation and the enormous dislocation, I believe it's 8,600 jobs," McCain told her. "This is a terrible blow."

But McCain wasn't optimistic the plant could be saved and took several minutes to promote his plans for job retraining programs.

"I got to look you in the eye and give you straight talk," he said. "I don't know if I can stop it or not; or if it will be stopped, so I have to tell you that. It's some straight talk. In fact, some more straight talk: I doubt it. OK? But I am for a thorough examination of this situation, and I will do everything I can to see that that's conducted."

The Ohio Democratic Party launched a Web ad Thursday highlighting those comments. The ad accuses McCain and Davis of having "played roles in the fate of DHL Express and its Ohio air park as far back as 2003."

The Ohio AFL-CIO also blasted McCain for helping the Airborne-DHL merger get through.

"Those jobs are on the chopping block because Sen. McCain and his campaign were involved in a deal that resulted in control of those positions being shifted to a foreign corporation, and there's no getting around that," Joe Rugola, president of the Ohio AFL-CIO, told The Associated Press.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
No kidding. McCain's campaign stinks. It's amazing how Obama hasn't been able to distance himself. The D's are cursed it seems :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: jman19
No kidding. McCain's campaign stinks. It's amazing how Obama hasn't been able to distance himself. The D's are cursed it seems :p
They are!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
jesus, the crappiest shipping company ever had to close an office? god damn the america where people sometimes lose their jobs.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Just a little bit less hair and some more height and John McCain would be a dead ringer for Mr. Clean.

Mr. Clean Mr. Clean MR. Clean.

He will clean your whole house and every domestic job that is in it.

Mr. Clean Mr. Clean Mr. Clean.

Look at it on the bright side, when you lose your job, McCain will put you to work for a 100 years in Iraq.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Give me a break. The merger was approved by 90% of the voting shareholders. The only reason that the lobby firms / McCain were involved was that UPS and FedEx tried to kill the deal by getting congress to review it. 5 years later, you're blaming McCain for job cuts? If the shipping industry were booming right now and they were expanding, would you be crediting McCain for the extra jobs?

Fyi, McCain has asked for an anti-trust probe of the UPS-DHL agreement that's the cause of these cuts:

Link

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Man, how many lobbyist for foreign companies does he have on his staff?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: wetech
Give me a break. The merger was approved by 90% of the voting shareholders. The only reason that the lobby firms / McCain were involved was that UPS and FedEx tried to kill the deal by getting congress to review it. 5 years later, you're blaming McCain for job cuts? If the shipping industry were booming right now and they were expanding, would you be crediting McCain for the extra jobs?

Fyi, McCain has asked for an anti-trust probe of the UPS-DHL agreement that's the cause of these cuts:

Link

SWOOOSH!!! That was the point flying right over your head.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari

Link

Not really. The point of the article and you posting it was to paint McCain in a bad light because 5 years ago he supported a deal, and now he's fighting against the jobs cuts. My point is that it's not reasonable to hold him accountable for the business decisions of DHL 5 years later, especially considering the different economic conditions between now and then. I think it's perfectly acceptable for him to challenge the job cuts now, despite his previous endorsement of the deal.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari

Link

Not really. The point of the article and you posting it was to paint McCain in a bad light because 5 years ago he supported a deal, and now he's fighting against the jobs cuts. My point is that it's not reasonable to hold him accountable for the business decisions of DHL 5 years later, especially considering the different economic conditions between now and then. I think it's perfectly acceptable for him to challenge the job cuts now, despite his previous endorsement of the deal.

This has little to do with McCain and more to do with his lobbyist friends. I even wrote it in the topic summary.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
No, its not all anti McCain drivel---and its all in one sentence of the oft quoted wetech excuse-----If the shipping industry were booming right now and they were expanding, would you be crediting McCain for the extra jobs?

Which is exactly the point, the shipping industry along with the rest of the economy is in trouble---Because of GWB inspired economic decisions McCain supports and votes for.

If the economy were booming after eight years of GWB inspired economic policy, McCain as the presumptive nominee of the GOP would deserve some of that reflected credit, but GWB has only been able to prop up the economy by basically adding 4 trillion in public debt, and now the economy and the number of jobs is shrinking even then.