McCain leads 46 percent to 40 percent in a hypothetical matchup against Obama

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans aren't going to win the Congress, so who cares about Congressional Republicans? McCain and the Democrats will either work out some nice and liberal agenda, or we'll have deadlock, which is also not a bad thing, considering Bush tax cuts are set to expire.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
If I was McCain I would have preffered to have the Rev. Wright fiasco happen a number of months from now. As it stands McCain might be on the receiving end of a friendly bump in the polls as a result of this mess but it wont last. And as the death toll in Iraq breaks the 4,000 barrier you can bet the media will turn its attention back over to the bungle in the middle east. That is...if our economy doesn't dominate our national headlines like it has over the past few weeks. Either way, McCain doesn't benefit nearly as much once this issue is forgotten by the public.

The Rev Wright fiasco is not sustainable unless we suddenly are innundated with more footage of Obama ranting right beside the good Rev. I think both the HRC and McCain camp know this, why else have they kept so silent about this issue?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: senseamp
Republicans aren't going to win the Congress, so who cares about Congressional Republicans? McCain and the Democrats will either work out some nice and liberal agenda, or we'll have deadlock, which is also not a bad thing, considering Bush tax cuts are set to expire.

And if the Republicans find a way to blame the Democrats for deadlock? Face it, your dream of a liberal era isn't going to happen with McCain. What this nation needs is a competent Democrat who won't divide along partisan lines. Partisanship is very childish and solves nothing. With that said, every nation deserves the leader it has...

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Arkaign
I am voting for McCain if Blabla Blablama is the nominee.

After all your complaining about the Iraq war, you vote for the the pro-war candidate!

GENIUS :laugh:

Iraq is destroying the GOP long term. Why mess with what works?

What a cop-out.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: sportage
Pee Wee Herman could win in the fall if he was a democrat.
All the democratic candidate has to say over and over is a McCain
quote, "100 years of war". And as to the economy, gas will be $4+
by then and most everyone would have spent their $600.
But this ongoing war will be the key to the Whitehouse front door.
And the democrats hold that key.
You forget, there are plenty of idiots who will support mccain regardless. No personal attacks allowed, but just in this thread the OP referred to it as hope that mccain may win. People like him will not be swayed by reason or logic, so the democrats cannot possibly sway them.
he'll be about the same age as reagan when he began his second term and Golda Meir when she was elected Israeli Prime Minister, and he has heavily hinted that he'd only serve for a single term. but heck, Churchill was 77 when he was elected PM.
The man is old, though and had cancer years ago. The office has a way of keeping old folk alive, but I do think it's somewhat of a valid concern--certainly his VP is of more significance than Obama's. McCain just seems like a guy who is literally chomping at the bit to have a single and fatal heart attack at any time. I can see it in his face for some reason.

Well then I hope he makes Romney his VP.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Have you read the numbers of sample people they use in these polls? They're horribly small. 1,000 people does not make an accurate reflection of the vote. I'd say the number should be closer to 250,000 to even begin to paint an accurate picture of where people are at.

You should learn some statistics to save yourself from more embarrassment.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Dari

And if the Republicans find a way to blame the Democrats for deadlock? Face it, your dream of a liberal era isn't going to happen with McCain. What this nation needs is a competent Democrat who won't divide along partisan lines. Partisanship is very childish and solves nothing. With that said, every nation deserves the leader it has...

Republicans are getting blamed for the mess we are in, and will continue to be so.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

After all your complaining about the Iraq war, you vote for the the pro-war candidate!

Whoa...I thought this election was all about health care for you?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Sinsear

Whoa...I thought this election was all about health care for you?

It is, but I don't think the country is serious about reforming health care yet. It hasn't reached crisis point yet. That issue is not going anywhere, Republicans have no plan to fix it, and current trends are not good. I think on this one we can wait for the public to demand reforms instead of having politicians impose those reforms. Also, none of the current candidates seems to be supporting a single payer system that I am for. So I don't mind waiting for a better environment and proposal for this reform, instead of having a bastardized version passed now. I want full blown New Deal 2.0, Medicare for all.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I don't think Blabla Blablama can handle a crisis. If there is one, the first thing he'll do is write a speech and demagogue it to death. Then he'll go organize a community action or something.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
I don't think Blabla Blablama can handle a crisis. If there is one, the first thing he'll do is write a speech and demagogue it to death. Then he'll go organize a community action or something.

That is better than Shrillary. She will call Dub and ask him what to do. They are usually on the same page.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as I see someone use a nickname like "Blabla Blablama," "Shrillery," or even "Dub," I write them off as a moron and ignore the rest of what they are saying. I've found nine times out of then what they are saying is just meant to piss off those with opposing viewpoints and is useless for meaningful debate.

(see two above replies)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ntdz
Link

I didn't think, and still don't really think, McCain stands a chance against Obama. However, this poll is giving me hope. Does this worry all you Obama supporters out there?

I think this poll is more a reflection on the Rev Wright flap.

It's a long time to the gen election, I suspect little effect of that matter will linger by then.

Fern

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: ntdz
Link

I didn't think, and still don't really think, McCain stands a chance against Obama. However, this poll is giving me hope. Does this worry all you Obama supporters out there?

I think this poll is more a reflection on the Rev Wright flap.

It's a long time to the gen election, I suspect little effect of that matter will linger by then.

Fern

I don't think you could be more wrong about that. Obama supporters trying to downplay this as over is nothing but wishful thinking on their part.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Have you read the numbers of sample people they use in these polls? They're horribly small. 1,000 people does not make an accurate reflection of the vote. I'd say the number should be closer to 250,000 to even begin to paint an accurate picture of where people are at.

:D :thumbsup:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

:D :thumbsup:

Hell, I didn't take statistics but I've been watching the polls since Iowa. Besides that one NH debacle, just about every other state's polls were very accurate and they all used the standard 1000 or so number of respondents. Empirical evidence FTW.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Farang
I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as I see someone use a nickname like "Blabla Blablama," "Shrillery," or even "Dub," I write them off as a moron and ignore the rest of what they are saying. I've found nine times out of then what they are saying is just meant to piss off those with opposing viewpoints and is useless for meaningful debate.

(see two above replies)

I have never said Shrillery before. I was mocking senseamp and his dumb Blabla Blablama. Dub is a common nickname. You are too thin skinned if that offends you.

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
I don't mean to disrespect McCain but he is absolutely horrible at public speaking and debating, his repetition of phrases will not work versus Obama.

Is he any worse than Bush? I don't think most Americans care about debates and have already made up their minds.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

The damn trouble with that argument is that its quite apparent that McCain can't handle the current crisis which is Iraq. McCain is the dumb MF who still thinks a military solution is still possible for Iraq. And given his recent gaffe with Iran and Al-Quida, he has an insufficient understanding of regional dynamics to even start to craft any kind of diplomatic solution.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Ldir
Originally posted by: Farang

(see two above replies)

I have never said Shrillery before. I was mocking senseamp and his dumb Blabla Blablama. Dub is a common nickname. You are too thin skinned if that offends you.

It doesn't offend me. It simply gives a clear indication that you have no intention of engaging in a productive argument.

I understand why you are 'getting back' at someone by replying with their candidates' nickname, and I suppose I shouldn't call you a "moron" for that, but I certainly do write your argument off as worthless. You merely counter his inflammatory remarks with your own, and we go in circles. So my main point of ignoring the arguments of those who use nicknames still stands.