McCain laments selection of Ifill as VP moderator

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: quest55720

She has a vested interest in the out come of the election. She makes millions on her book if Obama wins. She makes almost nothing if Obama loses. I figure that even a Obama supporter could figure out that it is not fair.

At the end of the day unless biden calls palin the C word this debate does not really matter. Obama is so far ahead it is almost impossible for him to lose.

Man it sounds more and more like McCain shouldn't have signed off on such an unfair moderator. If McCain can't even spend 10 minutes to google the name of the debate moderators before he signs off on them, doesn't that say awful things about the way he runs things?

How is he going to Google her when he can't use a computer?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I see nothing inconsistent here. First he speaks rationally and secondly he voices fears he says he will ignore in favor of rationality and confidence in the interviewer and her professionalism. What is wrong with expression concerns he has to trust where data raises doubts?

Agreed. McCain is not inconsistent or flip-flopping on this issue.

He repeatedly defers to Ifill's professionalism and states clearly that he has some concern about her but he will trust that she lives up to her reputation as a journalist first and foremost.

This is one of the silliest reasons to bash McCain and should probably be left to die a slow death.

For the first time in his life, sure. I expect a press release in an hour with McCain expressing his glee at the choice of moderator :p

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
At the end of the day the moderator performance matters very little compared to the two candidates of the debate.

AND with what is at stake here in this debate I imagine that irregardless of Ifill's performance (and she is indeed one of the elite journalists out there REGARDLESS of what people are saying about her) this is still the Palin/Biden show and alot will be determined by what THEY say not what Ifill says. the only way Ifill can have any impact is if she asks Biden whats 2+2, while asking Palin to give us her understanding of quantum physics or something equally insurmountable.

I find it surprising that other Journalists/Reporters/Media Personalities are not coming to Gwen Ifill's defense. I guess no one wants to be painted with the same brush as she is being painted with. That sucks.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I am sure Ifill will do her best to help Obama just like everyone else in the MSM. I am expecting more of a pop quiz than debate questions. Play a little gotcha at the debate but this debate is meaningless. Obama is so far ahead it does not matter. I do think to be fair there should be a second VP debate with a fox or talk radio moderator.

Gotcha? It's funny how the Republicans decided all of a sudden that 'gotcha' is a bad word. Yeah, suddenly if you get caught saying something inconsistent or something that demonstrates your inability to do your job, it's 'gotcha journalism'

I guess news reporters shouldn't report on anything that's pertinent to politics anymore. Yeah, Watergate was just another example of 'gotcha journalism' right? How unfair of the media to catch the Republicans in a lie or in illegal activities and then report about it!

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I am sure Ifill will do her best to help Obama just like everyone else in the MSM. I am expecting more of a pop quiz than debate questions. Play a little gotcha at the debate but this debate is meaningless. Obama is so far ahead it does not matter. I do think to be fair there should be a second VP debate with a fox or talk radio moderator.

How do you explain that McCain signed off on her?

Same questions as have been asked (without answer) numerous times. Did he know about her book ahead of time and not care, making him a hypocrite, or was his campaign so incompetent that they didn't even take the time to do some very very elementary research on the debate moderators before agreeing to them?

They did not know I am sure if they did they would of said no. His people over looked something big deal. It was who ever put together the debates that made the mistake of signing off on her. It is them who should of done the research to find out this huge Obama supporter.

So the McCain campaign has shown twice now with Palin and now with this that they don't even do the basic research before signing off on something. That is flat out incompetence.

If McCain signs off on something, he takes responsibility for his decision. Isn't his the party of personal responsibility? The woman is a professional journalist, she's presumably a Democrat and she did a fine job in the 2004 debate. There's nothing wrong with the network choosing her after that performance.

She has a vested interest in the out come of the election. She makes millions on her book if Obama wins. She makes almost nothing if Obama loses. I figure that even a Obama supporter could figure out that it is not fair.

At the end of the day unless biden calls palin the C word this debate does not really matter. Obama is so far ahead it is almost impossible for him to lose.

Then it's a good thing Obama isn't at this debate.

I say she'd get just as much from her book no matter how the election goes, since it's not actually a book about Obama.

In any case, the moderator has almost no responsibilities. She doesn't make the questions. She doesn't decide who gets asked which questions. She enforces the rules that are written by someone else.

She's going to sit there, ask the questions to the candidates in the prefabricated order, and tell each candidate when their time is up. McCain has agreed to this. If he's crying now, he has no one to blame but himself.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: GTKeeper
I will just say this:

The GOP is coming up with so many excuses for this and that, its mind boggling.

Do they seriously expect, that if elected, Palin will never be asked a trick question, or a 'tough' question or an 'unfair' question?

At the same time does McCain expect 0 bias in this world when he is president?

Well, the bush admin hasn't had to answer for anything... So... Maybe? :p

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Do you really want to repeat that lame excuse given by the McCain campaign? Do you really think it's "gotcha journalism" to ask someone what newspaper they read or if they have an opinion on Supreme Court cases other than Roe v. Wade or ask them what they think of a $700B bailout package?

Seems like fair questions to me if someone wants to be Vice President and possibly eventually President of this country.

As for having a Fox guy do a debate, as long as we are talking about someone with some journalistic integrity that would be fine. Brit Hume would be okay, Sean Hannity would not.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
His response was candid and he said he has to have confidence in the moderator. I think at some level one would lament having a moderator who is writing a favorable book about your opponent hosting your debate. Everybody would feel that way, it is natural. But he backs it up by saying he has to have confidence in her and he does if he signed off on her.

I said this in the other thread. She will be professional and courteous. If she isnt and is viewed as going after Palin it only hurts Obama's campaign.

She will be fair, mark my words.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
His response was candid and he said he has to have confidence in the moderator. I think at some level one would lament having a moderator who is writing a favorable book about your opponent hosting your debate. Everybody would feel that way, it is natural. But he backs it up by saying he has to have confidence in her and he does if he signed off on her.

I said this in the other thread. She will be professional and courteous. If she isnt and is viewed as going after Palin it only hurts Obama's campaign.

I think you're right BUT it's not only about bias it's about perceived bias. I think she should have stepped down because I think it's quite likely that she will be accused of unfair moderation regardless of outcome.

I also kind of worry that in an effort to appear neutral she's not going to have enough teeth to push for real answers.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Eeezee

Gotcha? It's funny how the Republicans decided all of a sudden that 'gotcha' is a bad word.

Yeah, suddenly if you get caught saying something inconsistent or something that demonstrates your inability to do your job, it's 'gotcha journalism'

All of the Republicans are rolling out the same talking points from Rush, Hannity, Fred Thompson etc.

Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yet another of McCain flip flop flap. :thumbsdown:

The FLIP...

October 1, 2008, McCain said, "I have confidence that Gwen Ifill will do a professional job with corroborating video from Faux News.

McCain: I have ?confidence? in Ifill

by Mosheh Oinounou

NDEPENDENCE, MO ? Sen. John McCain says he is confident PBS reporter Gwen Ifill will ?do a totally objective job? moderating Thursday?s vice presidential debate despite authoring a new book that is reportedly favorable toward Sen. Barack Obama.

Asked during an interview Wednesday with Fox?s Carl Cameron whether Ifill should excuse herself as the debate moderator, McCain acknowledged the potential conflict of interest but expressed confidence in the longtime journalist.

?I think that Gwen Ifill is a professional and I think that she will do a totally objective job because she is a highly respected professional,? McCain said during an interview at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum. ?Does this help?if she has written a book that?s favorable to Senator Obama? Probably not. But I have confidence that Gwen Ifill will do a professional job and I have that confidence.?

Campaign officials said they did not know about the book until today even though Ifill?s upcoming publication was mentioned in a September 4th Washington Post profile.

The Wall Street Journal reports:

Ifill's book was mentioned by name in a July 21 Associated Press article by Kinney Littlefield. The roster of debate moderators was revealed August 5.

The Washington Post reports:

It's no secret that Gwen Ifill has been working on a book about the younger generation of black politicians. The PBS correspondent talked about "Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama" in a Washington Post article on Sept. 4.

The FLOP (from the OP's link):

McCain laments selection of Ifill

Mike Allen Thu Oct 2, 10:05 AM ET

Hours ahead of the vice presidential debate, Sen John McCain (R-Ariz.) criticized the selection of PBS's Gwen Ifill as moderator because she is writing a book called "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama."

?Frankly, I wish they had picked a moderator that isn?t writing a book favorable to Barack Obama ? let's face it," McCain said on "Fox & Friends." "But I have to have confidence that Gwen Ifill will handle this as the professional journalist that she is.

Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Perhaps he had no problem with it because he did not know she was writing a book with Obama in the title?

Perhaps you should do your homework instead of spewing bullshit right wing talking points. The upcoming release of Ifill's book (AFTER the election) has been public knowledge for months. McCain and his campaign had full confidence in her fairness as recently as YESTERDAY!

John McCain couldn't keep his Double Talk Express on track if it had training wheels. :thumbsdown: :|

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Balt

I think you're right BUT it's not only about bias it's about perceived bias. I think she should have stepped down because I think it's quite likely that she will be accused of unfair moderation regardless of outcome.

I also kind of worry that in an effort to appear neutral she's not going to have enough teeth to push for real answers.

If she is fair the people watching will know this. If McCain's campaign tries to paint it as unfair when it wasnt it will slap him in the face.

People will see this with their own eyes. I dont see the problem here.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

If she is fair the people watching will know this. If McCain's campaign tries to paint it as unfair when it wasnt it will slap him in the face.

ZOMFGWTFBBQ!!! I agree with Genx87.

World Ends! Film at 11! :shocked: :thumbsup:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I agree with him because he is right. I want to see Biden ravage the fvck out of Palin and make her cry and run off stage as much as the next guy, but Ifill is clearly an inappropriate moderator for this debate. Maybe she'll be fine, maybe not, but there are billions of people who've not written books about the Obama age who could potentially have moderated.

What the hell is the difference. You are going to wind up arguing one loony tune defense of Palin or another anyway. That the moderator was biased is as good as any.
Your reply belies the fact that I consider Palin's persona moribund among all but the most insane of partisan hacks by night's end. She is, I do think, going to be completely out of her depth and I hope and expect to see her humiliated.

Unfortunately, moonbeam, the criticisms you lay upon supporters of republicans for their bias is one you have a hard time laying upon yourself, for you are also quite biased. You've become quite partisan. I can ridicule Palin as a pick and still see that Ifill is a terrible moderator for a debate in this case.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Except that many will also see only what their chosen spin meisters tell them happened.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Now McCain doesn't know what 2 Hours Ago McCain did. 2 Hours from Now McCain is already working on his new Agenda.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, right :disgust:

Do you even bother to watch Washington Week ? Have you even seen the professionalism shown by GI in previous debates ?

The incessant whining by the GOP shows nothing but contempt for America.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So the incessant whining from both the Obama and Clinton camps during the Spring Democrat nomination process was patriotic?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I think a soccer mom as the moderator would be their choice.
"tell me Mrs. Plain, do you prefer laced tennies or Velcro?"

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
So the incessant whining from both the Obama and Clinton camps during the Spring Democrat nomination process was patriotic?

No, it was still pathetic and annoying, but remember that a run for the party's nomination is basically an internal party matter, not a matter of national importance. Plus, it was over months before the election.