McCain is "worried" that terrorists will attack to cost him the electionE

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I guess we see that Rove and Mehlman have hit their strides in the "consulting" of the McCain campaign.

Fear! Terror! If you vote Democrat we all DIE!!!

Full story

Republican presidential candidate John McCain said on Friday he fears that al Qaeda or another extremist group might attempt spectacular attacks in Iraq to try to tilt the U.S. election against him.

McCain, at a town hall meeting in this Philadelphia suburb, was asked if he had concerns that anti-American militants in Iraq might ratchet up their activities in Iraq to try to increase casualties in September or October and tip the November election against him.

"Yes, I worry about it," McCain said. "And I know they pay attention because of the intercepts we have of their communications ... The hardest thing in warfare is to counter someone or a group of individuals who are willing to take their own lives in order to take others."

Edit: Shoot, wrong forum. Mods, please move to P&N.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
The only thing McCain has to worry about is having a heart attack and being put into a rest home.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Either it helps them or it hurts them, you can?t have it both ways.

Yep if there are no attacks and Iraq is quite, for iraq, then its all working as he said and should be in charge.

If more us, and even iraq's, die then its to keep him out as they are afraid and you should vote for him since they don;t won't him.

More spin that Fox, rush, and other republicans will eat up.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Let me see. McCain has positioned himself as the strongest terrorist fighter. Terrorists attack.
Who ya gonna call?
McCain.

Simply put due to Republican propaganda they are the best equiped to fight terrorists. So if terrorists attack it will take the focus off the Bush fiscal debacle and actually give "100 years in Iraq" McCain an actual shot at the Presidency.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
If I was him I'd be worried about that too. What's his big claim to fame? Supporting the surge.

His much spun "100 years in Iraq" remark is just gonna kill him in the election if Iraq turns ugly, the surge is deemed a failure and (almost) everybody wants to just pull-out.

IMO, His ONLY hope to win the election is to pick up some independant voters who are wary about a quick withdrawl from Iraq. The way I see it, the more the mood in this country turns anti-Iraq "war", the less chance he has to win. An erruption of violence there would be highly undesirable for him.

Other than try to get out in front of that by making this statement, IDK what he can do. He can't change his policy now. He's already deemed a flip-flopper by many.

But I think he needs to also pay attention to Al Sadr and the Mahdi Army (they are not AQ, they are Shia not Sunni). IIRC, the February truce/cease-fire was extended 6 months, ending in October. Possibly very bad news for him and the Repubs. If you're a politition, it's a great year to be a Democrat.

Fern

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think it would hurt Obama most with his inexperience, perceived or real, so there will be no such attack.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Attacks in Iraq would be bad for McCain good for Obama since Obama wants to pull troops out. Now if there was an attack in America that would help McCain out a lot.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
I think it would hurt Obama most with his inexperience, perceived or real, so there will be no such attack.

This is about an attack in Iraq.

I think an attack on US soil would be a completely different matter. That, I agree, would hurt Obama and help McCain.

Fern