McCain Can't Quit John Hagee

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: loki8481
I can forgive a blatant pander easier than a 20-year bff relationship.

but I'm a cynic and willing to accept political realities. ;)

So, that's how you're going to try to split a hair to explain the blatant hypocrisy where Obama has to renounce Wright's views, but McCain gets a pass on Hagee's?

Sorry, but I don't care whether it's 20 years or 20 minutes, the candidate allying with someone who espouses bigotry - and Hagee's is far worse, IMO - is the issue regardless.

In fact McCain's is the worse of the two as well because it shows his very current position to get close to Hagee, instead of something from a long time ago.

Yea, there is no difference between 20 years and 20 minutes....:roll:

So, on the one hand, you have John McCain call these people "agents of intolerance" and then he lies in bed with them. On the other hand, you have Obama criticize some of his pastor's remarks but refuses to tear up his relationship with him. Tell me, who has more principals?

Yes, John McCain is playing election year politics by doing whatever he can to gain votes, is that really so surprising to you? On the other hand, you have Obama using a radical anti American racist as his moral compass, for about 20 years.

Now I'm not making excuses for McCain, because I don't agree with what he is doing either, but it is nothing out of the ordinary for a career politician to play election year politics. And please don't start in with another "but you have to understand where black people are coming from" rant. Although it was especially funny when you said that to a black person on this forum.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: EXman

So, that's how you're going to try to split a hair to explain the blatant hypocrisy where Obama has to renounce Wright's views, but McCain gets a pass on Hagee's?

Sorry, but I don't care whether it's 20 years or 20 minutes, the candidate allying with someone who espouses bigotry - and Hagee's is far worse, IMO - is the issue regardless.

In fact McCain's is the worse of the two as well because it shows his very current position to get close to Hagee, instead of something from a long time ago.

20 minutes is = to 20 years? whatever:roll:

Looking for support from a racist church McCain = Obama Being a part of a racist church. whatever:roll:

both are deuchebags. Clinton isn't religous in my view she just panders to anyone with a checkbook.

Yep, thats pretty much how I feel about it as well.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

So, on the one hand, you have John McCain call these people "agents of intolerance" and then he lies in bed with them. On the other hand, you have Obama criticize some of his pastor's remarks but refuses to tear up his relationship with him. Tell me, who has more principals?

Yes, John McCain is playing election year politics by doing whatever he can to gain votes, is that really so surprising to you? On the other hand, you have Obama using a radical anti American racist as his moral compass, for about 20 years.

Now I'm not making excuses for McCain, because I don't agree with what he is doing either, but it is nothing out of the ordinary for a career politician to play election year politics. And please don't start in with another "but you have to understand where black people are coming from" rant. Although it was especially funny when you said that to a black person on this forum.

So McCain, the "Maverick", pandering is fine but people taking a couple of speeches out of context is not OK? Got it. For the record, I've criticized those ignorant remarks myself (like the ones about AIDS). But if you listen to Wright's complete sermons, you will notice that they are not hate-speech, racist, or anti-american. And if you knew the context of where those statements were coming from, you would know that even the great Dr. King said some of the same things Rev Wright said verbatim.

BTW, what makes you think I'm not an AA?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

So McCain, the "Maverick", pandering is fine but people taking a couple of speeches out of context is not OK? Got it. For the record, I've criticized those ignorant remarks myself (like the ones about AIDS). But if you listen to Wright's complete sermons, you will notice that they are not hate-speech, racist, or anti-american. And if you knew the context of where those statements were coming from, you would know that even the great Dr. King said some of the same things Rev Wright said verbatim.

Dari Please In most churches if you ever mentioned what Wright Did you be yanked. Context. plaaleez peeps those just should not be in there. Not to mention Wright gave Farrakahn an award and traveled with that lame. Your so far off base from comon sense here it is laughable.

BTW, Wright was yanked some say retirement. I bet he was paid off by a Obama booster. No proof just a guess.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Dari Please In most churches if you ever mentioned what Wright Did you be yanked. Context. plaaleez peeps those just should not be in there. Not to mention Wright gave Farrakahn an award and traveled with that lame. Your so far off base from comon sense here it is laughable.

BTW, Wright was yanked some say retirement. I bet he was paid off by a Obama booster. No proof just a guess.

Please. Most churches are highly political. Look at all those megachurches. Why do you think the Republican base panders to them? You think Black churches are any different? For many, Church is more than a house of worship. It's the center of the community where people come to congregate to get marry, have funerals, marital counselings, parties, drug-treatment programs, etc. The vast majority of the time the pastor his heavily involved so he understands his community very, very well. To say that politics never enter is a bold-face lie. To even hint that controversial remarks never exit is an egregious lie.

Farrakhan may be the devil in disguise to white America but some AAs respect him (I don't). So, you may be appalled by Rev Wright and his speeches and association with Louis Farrakhan, but you need to step in the world of AAs to fully understand why such men exist. Of course, you can choose to criticize from beyond, which is fully within your right, but I refuse to argue with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

Please. Most churches are highly political. Look at all those megachurches. Why do you think the Republican base panders to them? You think Black churches are any different? For many, Church is more than a house of worship. It's the center of the community where people come to congregate to get marry, have funerals, marital counselings, parties, drug-treatment programs, etc. The vast majority of the time the pastor his heavily involved so he understands his community very, very well. To say that politics never enter is a bold-face lie. To even hint that controversial remarks never exit is an egregious lie.

Farrakhan may be the devil in disguise to white America but some AAs respect him (I don't). So, you may be appalled by Rev Wright and his speeches and association with Louis Farrakhan, but you need to step in the world of AAs to fully understand why such men exist. Of course, you can choose to criticize from beyond, which is fully within your right, but I refuse to argue with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Dari I have a real hard time listening to you as you try to make yourself out to be a church expert do you know why?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

LOL, taken out of context, ok, whatever. I would love to see what scenario you could come up with that makes those kinds of comments ok. Your apologizing for this guy is getting a little out of control.

After reading everything you have said on this topic, I highly doubt that you are black. Mainly because you say things like "you have to understand where black people are coming from" instead of saying "you have to understand where we are coming from", or using the terms "they" instead of "us" when referring to the black community. So are you black?

As for this, "So McCain, the "Maverick", pandering is fine"

What is it about "I'm not making excuses for McCain, because I don't agree with what he is doing either" do you not understand? I was just pointing out that he is a politician, and that's what politicians do. That doesn't mean that I am ok with it.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

This is the double standard that so many people have a problem with. Race relations in this country will never be fixed as long as people like you make excuses for racists.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

LOL, taken out of context, ok, whatever. I would love to see what scenario you could come up with that makes those kinds of comments ok. Your apologizing for this guy is getting a little out of control.

After reading everything you have said on this topic, I highly doubt that you are black. Mainly because you say things like "you have to understand where black people are coming from" instead of saying "you have to understand where we are coming from", or using the terms "they" instead of "us" when referring to the black community. So are you black?

As for this, "So McCain, the "Maverick", pandering is fine"

What is it about "I'm not making excuses for McCain, because I don't agree with what he is doing either" do you not understand? I was just pointing out that he is a politician, and that's what politicians do. That doesn't mean that I am ok with it.

Go back to youtube and watch the entire videos. Someone here posted one of them not long ago but I forgot where they were.

As for me being an AA, I don't care if you believe me or not. Hell, most AAs find it hard to believe that I'm a Republican and I don't give a damn either.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Dari I have a real hard time listening to you as you try to make yourself out to be a church expert do you know why?

When I was growing up, we had to go to church every Sunday and Monday. I also went there for many other events. I don't claim to be a pastor, just an observer.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

This is the double standard that so many people have a problem with. Race relations in this country will never be fixed as long as people like you make excuses for racists.

I wasn't making excuses. The mistake you like to make is to grossly generalize. Listen, if you want to call Rev Wright a racist, go ahead. I'm not even interested in convincing you seeing that you've closed your mind on the subject. Case closed. Let's move on to another subject.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

When I was growing up, we had to go to church every Sunday and Monday. I also went there for many other events. I don't claim to be a pastor, just an observer.

Good because they are called SERMONS not SPEECHES! lol j/k I keep seeing you use that term and well it is funny. Must of had a speech class not long ago huh?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I wasn't making excuses. The mistake you like to make is to grossly generalize. Listen, if you want to call Rev Wright a racist, go ahead. I'm not even interested in convincing you seeing that you've closed your mind on the subject. Case closed. Let's move on to another subject.

Ummmm....yes, that's exactly what you were doing. Saying things like "but it's taken out of context" and "you have to understand where black people are coming from" is making excuses for racist comments. You seem to support the double standard that it's ok for blacks to be racist towards whites, but it's not ok for whites to be racist towards blacks. I'm not saying that you're racist, it just seems like you don't have a problem with other blacks being racist.

Fine, but like I said, attitudes like that is one of the main reasons that we will not fix our race problem in this country. White people, especially young white people that weren't even alive back during the civil rights movement, don't want to be told how horrible and evil whitey is.

I completely understand that older black people grew up in a time that was horribly unfair to them, but that had absolutely nothing to do with me or anyone even close to my age. Going all "black power" on people that had nothing to do with those horrible injustices does nothing but make things worse.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Good because they are called SERMONS not SPEECHES! lol j/k I keep seeing you use that term and well it is funny. Must of had a speech class not long ago huh?

:) You know, all this discussion about Rev Wright reminds me of a couple of years ago when I used to go to this bakery in Harlem. Two blocks from the bakery on Adam Clayton Powell Avenue (7th Avenue), there is this black church. The black members of the church would come in through an entrance. What was strange about this church was the looong line of white people that waited hours to get in. The lines went around the church. I wasn't really sure why so many people would venture to Harlem to go to church. Perhaps Rev Wright was speaking;)

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Ummmm....yes, that's exactly what you were doing. Saying things like "but it's taken out of context" and "you have to understand where black people are coming from" is making excuses for racist comments. You seem to support the double standard that it's ok for blacks to be racist towards whites, but it's not ok for whites to be racist towards blacks. I'm not saying that you're racist, it just seems like you don't have a problem with other blacks being racist.

Fine, but like I said, attitudes like that is one of the main reasons that we will not fix our race problem in this country. White people, especially young white people that weren't even alive back during the civil rights movement, don't want to be told how horrible and evil whitey is.

I completely understand that older black people grew up in a time that was horribly unfair to them, but that had absolutely nothing to do with me or anyone even close to my age. Going all "black power" on people that had nothing to do with those horrible injustices does nothing but make things worse.

lol. Anyone that blames you for their problems (except your wife and kids) is pathetic. I'm not giving AAs a green light to be racist and I never would. If you can prove to me that Rev Wright is racist or has made racist remarks, I'll say you've won this conversation. Otherwise, you seem to be stuck in your ways and no one can convince you otherwise.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

lol. Anyone that blames you for their problems (except your wife and kids) is pathetic. I'm not giving AAs a green light to be racist and I never would. If you can prove to me that Rev Wright is racist or has made racist remarks, I'll say you've won this conversation. Otherwise, you seem to be stuck in your ways and no one can convince you otherwise.

If you cannot see that he is, trying to convince you is not something most want to waste any more time doing. :)

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

If you cannot see that he is, trying to convince you is not something most want to waste any more time doing. :)

Give me an example.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
You know, I'm sure just as 40 years ago people were calling MLK a racist, trouble-maker, or communist, it's easy to call this Reverend a racist because he says things you don't like. Perhaps, as with Dr. King and other civil-rights activists, people can look back on the statements of Rev Wright not as racist but anger. Taken into context, Rev Wright may not be the most patriotic of Americans (rah! rah! rah!), but it's easier to dismiss them when encapsulated in vitriol rather than elegance. Either way, the message is the same.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
You know, I'm sure just as 40 years ago people were calling MLK a racist, trouble-maker, or communist, it's easy to call this Reverend a racist because he says things you don't like. Perhaps, as with Dr. King and other civil-rights activists, people can look back on the statements of Rev Wright not as racist but anger. Taken into context, Rev Wright may not be the most patriotic of Americans (rah! rah! rah!), but it's easier to dismiss them when encapsulated in vitriol rather than elegance. Either way, the message is the same.

Please go to their website and familiarize yourself with their creedo. How many times they use the word Black. And whom/what is important to them.

If they were white and had that on thier site and this was McCain it be all over in less than a week. He'd be SPITZERED!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I remember seeing hagee preach years ago. I found him to be a hateful, nasty man, at least from what I could see. Thankfully not all christian preachers have the same stance on life as him.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Please go to their website and familiarize yourself with their creedo. How many times they use the word Black. And whom/what is important to them.

If they were white and had that on thier site and this was McCain it be all over in less than a week. He'd be SPITZERED!

lol. You still can't give me ONE example of racism? You know what, I live in NYC and have Jewish friends all over Europe, Latin America and Israel. There are thousands of Jewish groups in America and around the world. You know why? Because of the countless hatred and pogroms against Jews for thousands of years. These organizations promote Jewish identity and culture. They are by no means racist just because they are Jewish programs helping Jews.

In a perfect world, you may be right. But there are certain people who have been wronged and try to empower themselves via identity networks and organizations. It doesn't make them hateful people. They are just trying to stay afloat in their larger world.

If you can find me one quote or dogma from Rev Wright or that church, I'll say you've won the argument. But you haven't and that implies there is no racism. You're trying to cry racism when it's a minority trying to preserve itself despite all that's happened to it. Unless you can show me where Rev Wright preaches the death and destruction of America or white America, or something remotely similar, you have nothing.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

lol. You still can't give me ONE example of racism? You know what, I live in NYC and have Jewish friends all over Europe, Latin America and Israel. There are thousands of Jewish groups in America and around the world. You know why? Because of the countless hatred and pogroms against Jews for thousands of years. These organizations promote Jewish identity and culture. They are by no means racist just because they are Jewish programs helping Jews.

In a perfect world, you may be right. But there are certain people who have been wronged and try to empower themselves via identity networks and organizations. It doesn't make them hateful people. They are just trying to stay afloat in their larger world.

If you can find me one quote or dogma from Rev Wright or that church, I'll say you've won the argument. But you haven't and that implies there is no racism. You're trying to cry racism when it's a minority trying to preserve itself despite all that's happened to it. Unless you can show me where Rev Wright preaches the death and destruction of America or white America, or something remotely similar, you have nothing.

You can't you see the forrest through the trees. I don't need you to tell me I'm right that he is a racist because you'd just be accusing me of common sense. I've heard him. I've seen the body language, I've talked about it with black friends, white friends my one jewish friend, and the evidence is overwhelming. This man is an attention seeking racist blowhard obessesed with his own vanity that is so far from the teachings of Christ it is laughable. Laughable to his 9,000 sq foot private retirement mansion. :roll: :disgust::confused::brokenheart::thumbsdown: :evil:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

You can't you see the forrest through the trees. I don't need you to tell me I'm right that he is a racist because you'd just be accusing me of common sense. I've heard him. I've seen the body language, ... and the evidence is overwhelming. .......

o_0

Body language? Wow, that's powerfully damning....regardless, what's that got to do w/ anything?

His church promotes having pride and respect in oneself and one's community to a broken and despirited people who often behaves like they have neither? OMG.

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "proud to be Irish." Obviously racist, and unpatriotic as well. St Patrick's day is revelry in racism and cultural elitism. Notre Dame should be banned from all network TV (not because they suck) but b/c their mascot is racist and anti-american.

One can only define self love by the measure to which you hate everyone else.

I'm def not voting for Wright in my primary. Thank god my state had the sense to leave him off the ballot. Too bad as I was hoping he'd get elected, attack whitey, & get thrown out of office. Then I'd have the perfect excuse for never having to vote for another black in my lifetime.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
C'mon people... lets stay on topic. I don't really care about Obama's or Clintons ... But haygee actually comes out and says he HATES ALL Muslims .... Anyone think that's not racist?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

You can't you see the forrest through the trees. I don't need you to tell me I'm right that he is a racist because you'd just be accusing me of common sense. I've heard him. I've seen the body language, I've talked about it with black friends, white friends my one jewish friend, and the evidence is overwhelming. This man is an attention seeking racist blowhard obessesed with his own vanity that is so far from the teachings of Christ it is laughable. Laughable to his 9,000 sq foot private retirement mansion. :roll: :disgust::confused::brokenheart::thumbsdown: :evil:

STILL WAITING for that ovewhelming evidence:roll: