McCain camp calls Tina Fey sexist

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I can definitely see a backlash coming because of the overusage of the word.

http://politicalticker.blogs.c...palin-sexist/#comments

(CNN) ? A top aide to John McCain said Monday she thought comedian Tina Fey's impersonation of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin on NBC's Saturday Night Live over the weekend was sexist because it portrayed the Alaska governor as lacking in substance.

The NBC comedy show's season premiere began with a "nonpartisan message" during which Fey's Palin and Amy Poehler's depiction of Hillary Clinton called for an end to sexism in the presidential race.

"The portrait was very dismissive of the substance of Sarah Palin, and so in that sense, they were defining Hillary Clinton as very substantive, and Sarah Palin as totally superficial," Fiorina told MSNBC earlier Monday. "I think that continues the line of argument that is disrespectful in the extreme, and yes, I would say, sexist in the sense that just because Sarah Palin has different views than Hillary Clinton does not mean that she lacks substance."

Watch: 'Palin' makes SNL debut

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO is among McCain's most high profile surrogates and earlier this month was the first member of the Arizona senator's campaign to suggest Democrats were launching sexist attacks at the Republican VP candidate.

"I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin?s experience,? Fiorina said then. ?The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a Mayor and Governor than Barack Obama has made in his life."

Fiorina, along with other high-profile female backers of McCain, held a press conference at the Republican National Convention criticizing the Obama campaign and the media for what they said were sexist comments about Palin.

"I think one of the things Hillary Clinton's run for the presidency did is attune women's ears to sexist attacks?. Many people have demeaned or belittled [Palin's] experience ? and as women, we all know how frequently that happens. This is a well qualified candidate for the vice presidency," she said.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Your a sexist if you do not vote for Palin/McCain and you are a racist if you do not vote for Obama.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
" A top aide to John McCain said Monday she thought comedian Tina Fey's impersonation of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin on NBC's Saturday Night Live over the weekend was sexist because it portrayed the Alaska governor as lacking in substance."

That makes it accurate, not sexist. What a stupid assessment. McCain should fire this idiot.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Another lame attempt to get an absurd fake outrage as the topic rather than what's happening in the economy today.

Anyone that believes that Tina Fey is sexist is beyond stupid.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hehe, it might be unfair, but even Hillary's portrayal in that same skit could be deemed as Sexist using that criteria and unfair for that matter.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
This is yet another example of the GOP playing the victim card. I thought they were above that? You'd think so given how much they rail against victim mentality. And yet here they are, lamenting about how they're the victims of supposed sexisim. And in a larger sense, crying about how they're the victims of the media, and the elites and the list goes on.

Wah! Cry me a river! We're Republicans and we're poor pathetic victims!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
This is yet another example of the GOP playing the victim card. I thought they were above that? You'd think so given how much they rail against victim mentality. And yet here they are, lamenting about how they're the victims of supposed sexisim. And in a larger sense, crying about how they're the victims of the media, and the elites and the list goes on.

The thing is it works. Jesse Jackson and Sharpton beat their opponents for being racist and worked for the longest time. In NY if you even begin to talk about changing the welfare system, you get fried for being racist because a disproportionate number of recipients are black. You could even be labeled racist for merely pointing that out, at least if you aren't a Sharpton.

Now the Reps have found that out and can and will use it with Palin. There's a very good chance McCain is going to pull it off.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

The thing is it works. Jesse Jackson and Sharpton beat their opponents for being racist and worked for the longest time. In NY if you even begin to talk about changing the welfare system, you get fried for being racist because a disproportionate number of recipients are black. You could even be labeled racist for merely pointing that out, at least if you aren't a Sharpton.

Now the Reps have found that out and can and will use it with Palin. There's a very good chance McCain is going to pull it off.

Of course! Blame it on black people!

I jest

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's good that Carly is on McCain campaign, at least it keeps her away from her from running more great American companies into the ground. Actually, the best part of McCain's economic plan is to keep Carly Fiorina in Washington.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
It's good that Carly is on McCain campaign, at least it keeps her away from her from running more great American companies into the ground. Actually, the best part of McCain's economic plan is to keep Carly Fiorina in Washington.

I hear HP employees are paying the McCain campaign to keep her on ... :)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Originally posted by: senseamp

I hear HP employees are paying the McCain campaign to keep her on ... :)

Too bad 25000 of them won't have much to pay him with in the near future :(

sapiens74

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Originally posted by: rudder
Your a sexist if you do not vote for Palin/McCain and you are a racist if you do not vote for Obama.

And you are a Racist Sexist if you vote for Bob Barr :)

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder

How true.... But you have to admit the skit on SNL was a knee slapper and what I consider on point. I guess McSame wants to keep everything on the down low, or perhaps they took his sence of humor while he was held captive also

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Legend
Another lame attempt to get an absurd fake outrage as the topic rather than what's happening in the economy today.

Anyone that believes that Tina Fey is sexist is beyond stupid.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:A++ would read again.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005

It's the culture war narritive and Palin is the poster child...How dare these elitists do this to Sarah.

Think about it, it's the same tactic they used to elect Bush. "He's just like you", "someone who you can have a beer with". "He's a down to earth everyday guy". Not a "rich elitist, liberal", I'm better than you type". When in reality Obama (where Kerry wasn't) is the one who is just like them. Someone who had nothing and worked his way to where he is on his own. No silver spoon upbringing. But the victimization of the media narritive is making him out to be the "elitist". "Look at him, he's a Democrat, that guy really talks with intelligence. He is not one of us. He will talk down to you.

It's more of the same. "How dare that "elitist", "lefty" Tina Fey make fun of Sarah". She is one of us. She hunts. She is from a small town. She's just like us!". It is evedent everywhere. Bush has a 30% approval rating. Those who support him will vote for McCain no matter what. Anyone, even Republicans who see we are being duped again or even dare question the validity of McCain\Palin or are voting for Obama\Biden just based on the fact that they believe they are the stronger ticket are labeled "from the left" or "liberals". Basically, to them 70% of the country are these evil "elitist on the left" who will talk down to the average joesixpack.

The Democrats' achilles Heel has always been about the inability to connect with ordinary (read that "stupid") people or to even give them a reasonable amount of respect (read that "pander"). The essential wish of simple people with simple thoughts and simple (or simplistic) ways of looking at things is to find a simple-minded person to project themselves upon (read that Palin). The same way some people, generally better at critical thinking tend to want to project themselves upon someone much better at this way of thinking than them.

When Democrats have found someone appropriately competent for the project of president and the simple-minded predictably feel discomfited by this person, Democrats instinctively dismiss, ridicule and otherwise blow off the very people they then complain are doing it all wrong. It comes down to who will release the death grip on narcissism first, and of course the better educated person, the one who knows how to pronounce and spell "narcissism" is the one who should be intelligent enough to play it down, let it go, and grab the Republican opponent by the throat by reaching through the hearts of those who can't spell "narcissist." But no, that would be demeaning. Besides, who needs them? They aren't even real people. Of course they scare hell out of us when they manage to swing an election into the hands of those who know exactly how to play a "hick" and have no qualms about it, even as they know how badly they need those "hick" votes.

summing it all up.

"Liberals", "the left", or whatever name we are being called by the McCain supporters need to understand one thing. it's crap like the santa claus myth that creates the foundation for dogmatic fundamentalism of any kind and the only path to real societal change in the general direction that the rest of centrist tenets point is one that is devoid of dogma. Gandhi understood it. it cost him his life and ultimately his failure to convince his country of it resulted in the creation of Pakistan which turns out to be one of the largest thorns in the side of rationalists. so don't expect a whole lot to change here no matter what happens in the next two months.

It becomes clearer and clearer every day that the one 'thing' about Mrs. Palin which is most damning of her to 70% of Americans or "us", the so called liberals is her highest qualification in the eyes of the so called conservatives. it is her fanatical belief system. Its her simplistic views. the particular issue matters not. it is the mind set that is simultaneously anathema/delightfully refreshing to the two culture polarities of opinion in this country.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
lol, the best thing for the McCain campaign to do is to say they disagree with Palin's portrayal but understand that it's satire. Or they could just ignore it completely and let people stop talking about it. This fake outrage just makes people want to see it if they already haven't and it keeps it in the news cycle.

It's like when during the RNC convention, a CNN commentator (female BTW) pushed a McCain campaign aide (also female) for answers on Palin's experience. It made the McCain aide look like an idiot as she kept on ducking the question with the commentator not letting her do that. It was damaging, but I'm sure few people saw it. Of course, the next day McCain cancels an interview with Larry King because they said the commentator went too far. So instead of running a interview with softball questions for McCain, CNN explains what happened and showed the exchange from the day before to let viewers decide if they went too far.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Dari
I can definitely see a backlash coming because of the overusage of the word.

http://politicalticker.blogs.c...palin-sexist/#comments

(CNN) ? A top aide to John McCain said Monday she thought comedian Tina Fey's impersonation of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin on NBC's Saturday Night Live over the weekend was sexist because it portrayed the Alaska governor as lacking in substance.

The NBC comedy show's season premiere began with a "nonpartisan message" during which Fey's Palin and Amy Poehler's depiction of Hillary Clinton called for an end to sexism in the presidential race.

"The portrait was very dismissive of the substance of Sarah Palin, and so in that sense, they were defining Hillary Clinton as very substantive, and Sarah Palin as totally superficial," Fiorina told MSNBC earlier Monday. "I think that continues the line of argument that is disrespectful in the extreme, and yes, I would say, sexist in the sense that just because Sarah Palin has different views than Hillary Clinton does not mean that she lacks substance."

Watch: 'Palin' makes SNL debut

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO is among McCain's most high profile surrogates and earlier this month was the first member of the Arizona senator's campaign to suggest Democrats were launching sexist attacks at the Republican VP candidate.

"I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin?s experience,? Fiorina said then. ?The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a Mayor and Governor than Barack Obama has made in his life."

Fiorina, along with other high-profile female backers of McCain, held a press conference at the Republican National Convention criticizing the Obama campaign and the media for what they said were sexist comments about Palin.

"I think one of the things Hillary Clinton's run for the presidency did is attune women's ears to sexist attacks?. Many people have demeaned or belittled [Palin's] experience ? and as women, we all know how frequently that happens. This is a well qualified candidate for the vice presidency," she said.

Truth hurts don't it?

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
FWIW, , Palin was quoted as saying she saw the skit and thought it was pretty funny-- especially since a few years ago she dressed up as Tina Fey for a Halloween Party.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
This video echoes my thoughts in regards to the McCain campaign using reverse sexism in regards to Sarah Palin.