McCain at Sturgis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Sinsear
So just how many of those Germans in Berlin will be voting in the election?

Maybe 20, if they're American citizens voting absentee.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: TechAZ
Originally posted by: jpeyton
He was a grade A douchebag during that appearance. Basically par for the course for McCain public appearances these days.

He also got a little jab in about Obama's factually CORRECT stance that properly inflating tired and maintaining vehicles would save this country more in fuel that we would see 20 years from now in offshore drilling.

Proof?

Just read the plethora of media stories defending it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi

Wasn't there a federal agency report about WMD?

Of course, if an unrelated federal agency made a wrong report, we should never trust any government reports on any topic ever.

You're a moron.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Of course, if an unrelated federal agency made a wrong report, we should never trust any government reports on any topic ever.

You're a moron.

Well that's pretty much what the anti war folks say every time a report comes out that says anything positive about Iraq...

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
What else do you expect?

McCain's wise and beautiful woman wife is wicked good at pulling in crowds. She used to be a rodeo-girl, since she never really had to pay for her own expenses in her life. Sidney then ends up riding the wave to a political career. He's flying in Cindy's plane right now! In all seriousness, it was a great move for him. One might as well reap the spoils when one leaves his crippled wife for a younger, sexier trollop.

Obama's "terrorist fist-bumping" baby mamma was only a very accomplished professional from a lower-class-to-mediocre backround. Fuck that whitey-hating bitch. You know, the whole American dream thing about rising up from nothing to something... all kinds of whitey-hating malarkey!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good." - Hillary Clinton

You are aware that the context of that quote was at a $10,000 per plate democratic fundraiser where she told the affluent crowd that if elected she was planning on repealing the Bush tax cuts which would result in those in attendance paying more in taxes?

The complete quote:

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you. We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

Everyone pays taxes for the common good, but it kinda makes a little bit of difference there, as opposed to her addressing a bunch of lower middle class laborers or something.

Just wanted to point that out. Feel free to keep using it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy

You're a moron.

Well that's pretty much what the anti war folks say every time a report comes out that says anything positive about Iraq...

Links?

What you're probably thinking of is new reports of CIA estimates on Iran, etc... etc. While I wouldn't agree, you can make a reasonable case that if an agency was wrong about a topic in the past that if the same agency was reporting on the same topic in the future that you should treat it with skepticism.

In this case he's saying a totally unrelated agency on a totally unrelated cause should be viewed with similar skepticism. Certainly you can see why that's dumb.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks
"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good." - Hillary Clinton

You are aware that the context of that quote was at a $10,000 per plate democratic fundraiser where she told the affluent crowd that if elected she was planning on repealing the Bush tax cuts which would result in those in attendance paying more in taxes?

The complete quote:

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you. We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

Everyone pays taxes for the common good, but it kinda makes a little bit of difference there, as opposed to her addressing a bunch of lower middle class laborers or something.

Thanks, it's been pointed out before, and it doesn't make a difference to me. I don't look at the rich as evil and undeserving of their wealth like some do (I'm not referring to you) here.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

The complete quote:

Thanks, it's been pointed out before, and it doesn't make a difference to me. I don't look at the rich as evil and undeserving of their wealth like some do (I'm not referring to you) here.

But the rich have wealth, and they certainly will not end up in a cardboard box if they are called-upon as citizens to contribute just a little bit more in these trying times. What's the matter with you? Do you hate America? We are in a pretty dire situation here, and you're trying to convince us that American's shouldn't sacrifice just a little bit to keep our country going strong?

Who is in a position to sacrifice? Is it the father of two working as a laborer and trying to pay for health insurance, food, and fuel for his commute; or is it the brahmin in NYC who gets trust-fund payments every month that are double of what the former earns per year.

Give me a fucking break.

Those making exponential profits in the US are making them at the expense of real people who work from paycheck to paycheck. If these people fail, the rest will collapse very soon.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: fallout man

The complete quote:

But the rich have wealth, and they certainly will not end up in a cardboard box if they are called-upon as citizens to contribute just a little bit more in these trying times. What's the matter with you? Do you hate America? We are in a pretty dire situation here, and you're trying to convince us that American's shouldn't sacrifice just a little bit to keep our country going strong?

Who is in a position to sacrifice? Is it the father of two working as a laborer and trying to pay for health insurance, food, and fuel for his commute; or is it the brahmin in NYC who gets trust-fund payments every month that are double of what the former earns per year.

Give me a fucking break.

Those making exponential profits in the US are making them at the expense of real people who work from paycheck to paycheck. If these people fail, the rest will collapse very soon.

So now as long as you don't end up in a card board box, you're in a position to "sacrifice" for the rest of us. This is the reason why I have a problem with the government arbitrarily deciding that certain people are "rich" enough to just keep on "sacrificing", the last thing I want is someone like you making that decision.

Anyways, this is incredibly off topic, you should make your own class warfare thread if living in a capitalist society bothers you this much, and we can continue this there.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
I hope people do check their tires. I hope people adjust their driving habits - I think the bigger savings are there - like no jack rabbit starts and sudden stops (coast a bit). Racing between stoplights and stop signs is stupid.

But I'll bet most of those who all "hooray" about tire pressure thingy will throw a hissy fit if the government actually does creates a policy of conservation - That means reduction is the speed limit. And I'll bet many who are shocked some of us question the tire pressure numbers are gonna immediately refuse to belive the government's estimate on fuel savings resulting from a 55 mph speed limit.

As I've said before, I'm all for throwing the kitchen sink at it, including conservation efforts.
Fern
Most people don't check their tires unless one looks low -- then they check them all and fill them at the same time. Done. For at least another year or two.

But I have to say Fern...they could lower the speed limit to 40 but I will never drive slower than 70 on the highway EVER AGAIN :laugh:

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: fallout man

The complete quote:

Give me a fucking break.

So now as long as you don't end up in a card board box, you're in a position to "sacrifice" for the rest of us. This is the reason why I have a problem with the government arbitrarily deciding that certain people are "rich" enough to just keep on "sacrificing", the last thing I want is someone like you making that decision.

Anyways, this is incredibly off topic, you should make your own class warfare thread if living in a capitalist society bothers you this much, and we can continue this there.

You're so right.

It's a capitalist society going strong... as long as the meat doesn't unionize and ask for just recognition and compensation. Look around.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000

The complete quote:

Yet that was what she was suggesting anyway.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: brencat
I hope people do check their tires. I hope people adjust their driving habits - I think the bigger savings are there - like no jack rabbit starts and sudden stops (coast a bit). Racing between stoplights and stop signs is stupid.

But I'll bet most of those who all "hooray" about tire pressure thingy will throw a hissy fit if the government actually does creates a policy of conservation - That means reduction is the speed limit. And I'll bet many who are shocked some of us question the tire pressure numbers are gonna immediately refuse to belive the government's estimate on fuel savings resulting from a 55 mph speed limit.

As I've said before, I'm all for throwing the kitchen sink at it, including conservation efforts.
Fern
Most people don't check their tires unless one looks low -- then they check them all and fill them at the same time. Done. For at least another year or two.

But I have to say Fern...they could lower the speed limit to 40 but I will never drive slower than 70 on the highway EVER AGAIN :laugh:

true, because if you consistantly drive 30+ over the limit, you will loose your license in a short period of time and won't be driving, period.

if the speed limit is reduced, it will be strickly enforced at first and there will be some who will loose their license because 'I can't drive 55' (thanks Sammy)

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: brencat

Fern

Good for you, champ. Just have the word IDIOT where your license plate is so I can get out of the way.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: TheSnowman

The complete quote:

Yet that was what she was suggesting anyway.

I'll assume snowman's sarcasm?

To JD: Hillary and all the people at the fundraiser are rich, and they were all suporters of Hillary, so I don't think they considered themselves evil or undeserving of their wealth for supporting a repeal of Bush's tax cuts.