McCain and Obama will not be on the Texas ballot

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Linky

:laugh:

I'm sure the state will break their own rules and allow both McCain and Obama be put on the ballot. But had the shoes been put on the other foot, had Barr been the one to miss the deadline, I wonder if the situation would pan out the same way.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That'd be hilarious if they were both left off the ballot, but the system is designed to keep the entrenched parties in power so they'll be quietly added.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
So what was the Barr campaign's source - the website? It's very possible that they did register, they just haven't updated the website yet....

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Deeko
So what was the Barr campaign's source - the website? It's very possible that they did register, they just haven't updated the website yet....

http://news.google.com/news?hl...1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=in

I'm not saying it's not true, but none of those cited references either. In fact, most of them quoted either A) the bob barr site you linked or B) the blog post that was the first result. Neither of those are very credible.

Again...could be legitimate, but I won't pass judgement until I see something worthwhile. Hey, I guess you guys can take a win by technicality, since Barr sure won't be winning anything through the vote.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

I would think they would wait until after the official nomination to register...

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

I would think they would wait until after the official nomination to register...

good point, how can you register if the nomination isn't "official" yet.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
Already fixed, read halfway down.

http://themoderatevoice.com/po...t-the-system-in-texas/

I understand this will be a non-issue. But, in another thread people were saying that breaking the law is not ok even if it was a free speach issue when the person was saying bad things about Obama. I wonder if they have the same opinion of Obama getting his name on the ballot despite the fact that the law does not allow it. I am not really upset, but deep down some shred of morals that our political system has not destroyed still hates double standards.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I think its not just mere bias against third parties, its basically my understanding that if a party fails to get something like 6% of the vote in the last election, they must meet the deadlines and jump through the hoops Barr is talking about to win Ballot access, but in all 50 States, the dems and repubs meet that 6% or so last election test, so their ballot access is automatic.

And if Barr can carry that 6% or so this year, next election the libertarian party will get automatic ballot access.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I am sure they will add them both to the ticket since the alternative is hand counting a million write in votes.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
As mentioned above, how can their names be on a ballot until they are officially nominated by their respective parties?