McCain accuses Bush of "spending money like a drunken sailor"

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
"The president cannot say, as he has many times, that I am going to tell Congress to enforce some spending discipline and then not veto

"We are laying a burden of debt on future generations of Americans. ... Any economist will tell you, you cannot have this level of debt, of increasing deficits without eventually it affecting interest rates and inflation," he added.

link

If it weren't for shrub's shady campaining tactics this man might (rightfully) be in office right now.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Spending is what they do. I'm not in favor of the continued overspending, although I find it interesting that Democrats are crying about the level of spending:p Oh wait...that's right...it's wastefull unless it's their spending;) Remember that the Medicare bill was just a "down payment";)

McCain is right about one thing - "Congress is now spending money like a drunken sailor. And I've never known a sailor drunk or sober with the imagination that this Congress has." It has to stop - no doubt about it.

PS- McCain didn't actually accuse Bush of spending like a drunk sailor like your title states;) He was blasting Congress for that. He did however blame Bush for not vetoing the spending though.;) I understand the confusion and angle though;)

CkG

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Yeah, I know my title is sensationalist, but I think this is very significant critisism of our president from a respectable member of his own party. To those of us who don't like Bush, the fact that this might get some republican voters thinking is a good thing.

Oh, and

"The president cannot say, as he has many times, that I am going to tell Congress to enforce some spending discipline and then not veto bills," McCain said.

This is probably the most significant quote in my mind.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
Yeah, I know my title is sensationalist, but I think this is very significant critisism of our president from a respectable member of his own party. To those of us who don't like Bush, the fact that this might get some republican voters thinking is a good thing.

Oh, and

"The president cannot say, as he has many times, that I am going to tell Congress to enforce some spending discipline and then not veto bills," McCain said.

This is probably the most significant quote in my mind.

That's all great and fine as long as ALL spending is critiqued the same way - regardless of who(which party) is doing the spending.

For a voter to vote against Bush because he spent too much by voting for the eventual Democrat nominee is quite silly since most all of them have HUGE UHC spending plans...which can not be "paid by repealing Bush's tax-cuts" no matter how much they try to say it will. So yeah - I hope it does make people think. Do we really need another 80+Billion per year added to the budget? Do people really want their taxes raised to pay for MORE entitlements? Haven't we had enough already?

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I thought it was drunken, doped up, AWOL, Viet Nam dodging National Guardsman. Sailors don't spend much cause they don't make much, and they have class.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Bush is a communist and sheep like CKG who believe they are voting 'smaller' government will continue to bring this country down.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I thought it was drunken, doped up, AWOL, Viet Nam dodging National Guardsman. Sailors don't spend much cause they don't make much, and they have class.

I agree that its misinformed to reference a sailor's spending and low wages, altho I think their "class" is generally worth less than 50 cents to every dollar they have in their pocket too. :p

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Phokus
Bush is a communist and sheep like CKG who believe they are voting 'smaller' government will continue to bring this country down.

Buahahahaha!!!

Some of you guys are too much:p It's good to laugh but sometimes enough is enough.

Baaaaah
rolleye.gif

CkG

PS - jjsole - nice to see you think so highly of the people who protect your right to spout off.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
McCain needs to suck it up. Its Congress' duty to pass laws. Its called politics. Congress gives eachother pats on the back, and then hands it to the president. McCain has added spending riders on bills. He should just shut the fvck up. Its every senator and reps job to get as much money for their state(and the people they represent) as possible. Arizona's Senators and Reps arent any different.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Howard Dean is more of a coward in the draft dodging department.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

You have no idea how government works. To say all the spending is Bush fault, well thats just plain stupid. Congress is the only one that can make budgeting decisions. Congress makes the laws, Bush signs them into law. Its more congress than Bush. I love it how Senators and Reps, and dumbfvcks like to pass the buck on to the president. Its not the president adding $100,000 riders here, $10million riders there, $10billion rider there. Etc etc. Its CONGRESS. Yes Bush could veto it, but well the government would then shut down, as no fiscal budget would ever get through. Not to mention all the bitching and partisan politics that would ensue.

McCain has added riders in the past. Hes kept uneeded military bases open. He really needs to shut up, hes just as guilty as Bush is.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Yes Bush could veto it, but well the government would then shut down, as no fiscal budget would ever get through. Not to mention all the bitching and partisan politics that would ensue.
Quality MJ you got there . . . I can see it now:
Speaker Hastert (R-IL): How dare that podunk hick from Midland veto our pork package!
Majority Leader Frist (R-TN): Well let's teach him a lesson . . . let's shut down the government and see how he likes 'dem apples!

Now back to reality . . . there's zero difference between the government running on continuing resolutions (due to unfinished appropriation bills) and the government running on continuing resolutions (due to vetoed appropriation bills).

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeh , well, it's amazing to see the same senators and representatives who bashed clinton and all dems for their tax and spend policies now doling out unheard of portions of pork and giveaway taxcuts to their corporate pals and members of the financial elite. Now that the Republicans have the power to actually create smaller government and reduced spending, they do just the opposite. I really think their aim is to cripple the govt forever with debt while treating themselves to an orgy of greed and cronyism.

Although I don't always agree with John McCain, I do respect him. Not that it matters much, he's getting trampled along with the dems under the stampede to the trough...

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Yeh , well, it's amazing to see the same senators and representatives who bashed clinton and all dems for their tax and spend policies now doling out unheard of portions of pork and giveaway taxcuts to their corporate pals and members of the financial elite. Now that the Republicans have the power to actually create smaller government and reduced spending, they do just the opposite. I really think their aim is to cripple the govt forever with debt while treating themselves to an orgy of greed and cronyism.

Although I don't always agree with John McCain, I do respect him. Not that it matters much, he's getting trampled along with the dems under the stampede to the trough...

The democrats are a large part of the pork. The major bills were backed by republicans, but to get anything passed these days, riders are added on to the bills.

Congress is spending money like a drunken sailor not Bush. A whole hell of alot of bills are passed each year, and the majority of them contain pork barrel spending. The democrats and republicans are doing this not just one party of the president.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Congress is spending money like a drunken sailor not Bush. A whole hell of alot of bills are passed each year, and the majority of them contain pork barrel spending. The democrats and republicans are doing this not just one party of the president.
Your statement is patently false. The continuing resolutions typically provide funds consistent with the previous year's budget. Accordingly, if Bush veto every pork package that reached his desk . . . but signed continuing resolutions to keep the government running . . . then he could claim to be fiscally responsible. As long as Bush puts his John Hancock on the tripe coming from Congress . . . he's just as responsible as the drunken sailors.

Bush is touring the country . . . collecting cash and taking credit for the Medicare bill that passed Congress. Not only is Bush failing to reel in wasteful annual appropriations. He's creating whole new entitlements to boot.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Your statement is patently false. The continuing resolutions typically provide funds consistent with the previous year's budget. Accordingly, if Bush veto every pork package that reached his desk . . . but signed continuing resolutions to keep the government running . . . then he could claim to be fiscally responsible. As long as Bush puts his John Hancock on the tripe coming from Congress . . . he's just as responsible as the drunken sailors.

Bush is touring the country . . . collecting cash and taking credit for the Medicare bill that passed Congress. Not only is Bush failing to reel in wasteful annual appropriations. He's creating whole new entitlements to boot.

Wouldn't "continuing resolutions" be "cuts"? According to Democrats...not increasing spending...is a "cut" as proven by the little exchange between Dean and Kerry in the last Debate;)

Like I stated earlier - I'm pissed about the spending but I'd be even more pissed about a 80+Billion entitlement that most of the "candidates" have proposed.

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We are to blame because we voted for the people in office except, of course, for the President who was selected by the Supreme Coup. They are responsible for him. You get the politicians you deserve and hating ourselves as we do, the ones we have we are, down deep, actually rather grateful for.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I would have some pithy comment about how a GOP Congress would never allow a Democratic President to enact the various spending sprees they are campaigning on . . . then again . . . the GOP Congress is clearly enacting the spending spree policies of the current President. Furthermore, most of the GOP Congressmen are apparently planning to campaign on their ability to spend Treasury funds through the next decade.

From a realistic standpoint, a continuing resolution on say "education funding" would typically be a cut since more children are entering the system every year . . . and flunking . . . than the number that leave the system. In the case of agencies like the EPA or Forest Service, continuing resolutions would be an increase considering how Bushies have whacked away at them over the past two years.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm

You have no idea how government works. To say all the spending is Bush fault, well thats just plain stupid. Congress is the only one that can make budgeting decisions. Congress makes the laws, Bush signs them into law. Its more congress than Bush. I love it how Senators and Reps, and dumbfvcks like to pass the buck on to the president. Its not the president adding $100,000 riders here, $10million riders there, $10billion rider there. Etc etc. Its CONGRESS. Yes Bush could veto it, but well the government would then shut down, as no fiscal budget would ever get through. Not to mention all the bitching and partisan politics that would ensue.

HUH? Didn't the Presidential line item veto get passed? Bush can veto any part of any spending bill he doesn't llike without vetoing the entire bill. Let's face reality here ... Bush likes to spend, he thinks it will get him elected. Take the Medicare bill, budgeted at $400 bil but will cost $2 TRILLION over the next 20 years if it stays in the same form. Of course $2 trillion is chump change to a big government guy like Bush.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled
Originally posted by: digitalsm

HUH? Didn't the Presidential line item veto get passed? Bush can veto any part of any spending bill he doesn't llike without vetoing the entire bill. Let's face reality here ... Bush likes to spend, he thinks it will get him elected. Take the Medicare bill, budgeted at $400 bil but will cost $2 TRILLION over the next 20 years if it stays in the same form. Of course $2 trillion is chump change to a big government guy like Bush.

Line item veto got wacked by the supreme court i beleive.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Sitting back waiting for high interest rates to flush another GOP presidency down the toilet.