Mccain 81 rip

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Whatever one might think of his political positions, and I have conflicted thoughts about a lot of them, it's hard to argue that many people more fully served their nation while living a full life. He maintained a lot more decency than many even in opposition. History will judge his political actions for better and worse in due course.

On a personal level the praise for his humor,character, and generosity of time is basically universal amongst his peers (on both sides), journalists, and regular people. If that's how they would like to memorialize him I would not argue it.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Goddamn that sucks. A real hero, and one of the few leaders you felt was always thinking of the country even if you didn't agree with what he was doing.

Truly a loss

What he said...

My son-in-law is an underwater welder in the Navy, and I found it shocking that he didn't know the story of John McCain's imprisonment. When he was shot down in Vietnam, the high command found out who he was. His father was a US Navy Adm., his grandfather was a U.S. Navy Adm., the USS McCain is named after his grandfather. When they found out who he was, they tried to kick him out. They thought that the heat would be too great to keep him as a prisoner.

Lieut. Cmdr. McCain told them "I'm not going anywhere without my men." He spent five years in a POW camp, when he could've gotten out in three DAYS!

That's the kind of man he was, that's kind of sailor he was, and this country will be less because of his loss. Look up the word honor in the dictionary, and you'll see a picture of John McCain

I heard he wanted his ashes sprinkled in Vietnam but the plane crashed on the way.

Congratulations! You're officially a piece of shit!

Right along with Cadet Bone Spurs.

Last edited:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
He died 9 years to the day from friend across the aisle Ted Kennedy who died from the same thing.

If you believe in a Higher Power they are trying to tell you all something...

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Mitt Romney was 2012 w/ Paul Ryan as VP.

McCain and Romney lost for the reasons Trump won.

Oh shoot.
Yes,
Mitt Romney. How could I ever forget Mitt?
Apparently, pretty easy to forget Mitt Romney.
Like trying to remember what you had for dinner on Thursday June 1, 2012.
I realized my mistake earlier but just let it go.
I had to actually google "who ran against Obama in 2012".

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
He's going to lie in state at the US Capitol, an honor bestowed on only 31 people in the last 166 years. A decision made by congressional leaders from both parties.

Good for them.

Reactions: preCRT

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
RIP Senator John McCain. From everything I've read, it sounded like a horrible way to die that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

John McCain, despite not being able to be physically present in the Senate made a decision to not resign. This, when he knew full well that his condition was terminal with no hope for any other outcome. He evidently had no qualms that the citizens of the state of Arizona would have only one vote in the Senate until some time after his passing. His actions either reflect those of a hugely ego-driven individual or, more likely and this is a guess, that his family would benefit more with him being an "active" member of Congress versus a retired one.

Take your pick. Neither one is honorable.

This is not the first time this has happened but it needs to be the last. If we are going to continue to treat the political class as if they are special people with their own set of rules we will see nothing but escalation of their behavior. When do we put a stop to it?

If you owned a business and one of your top people was diagnosed with a terminal illness and was ill to the extent that they could not show up for work to participate in key decisions, would you not fill the position until that person had passed? Of course you wouldn't, you'd fill it as soon as possible after you knew.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
RIP Senator John McCain. From everything I've read, it sounded like a horrible way to die that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

John McCain, despite not being able to be physically present in the Senate made a decision to not resign. This, when he knew full well that his condition was terminal with no hope for any other outcome. He evidently had no qualms that the citizens of the state of Arizona would have only one vote in the Senate until some time after his passing. His actions either reflect those of a hugely ego-driven individual or, more likely and this is a guess, that his family would benefit more with him being an "active" member of Congress versus a retired one.

This is not the first time this has happened but it needs to be the last. If we are going to continue to treat the political class as if they are special people with their own set of rules we will see nothing but escalation of their behavior. When do we put a stop to it?

If you owned a business and one of your top people was diagnosed with a terminal illness and was ill to the extent that they could not show up for work to participate in key decisions, would you not fill the position until that person had passed? Of course you wouldn't, you'd fill it as soon as possible after you knew.

Trump deplorable train continues on.

Reactions: cytg111

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

One without honor should hold their tongue about their betters. McCain was many things, some I did not like, but he has more honor in death than the remainder of his party and the entirety of the WH, including the one person who is not worthy of licking the bottoms of McCain's shoes, Trump, one so low that you somehow manage to look up to the lowest of those to hold High Office.

If honor is a positive quality to be tested before passing through the Pearly Gates, it will be a great asset unlike for Trump and his minions in their decent.

b74813b5fcddbfbc6d9ac09f502691ce.jpg

That is the Gate and above it reads "Lasciate ogni speranza voi che entrate"

Reactions: Josephus312

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Trump deplorable train continues on.

What he said..

Donny is such a piece of shit, Malaria must do a massive amounts of drugs to tolerate his touch.
Poor girl..

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/white-house-flag-john-mccain-tribute/index.html

White House flag at full-staff after short McCain tribute

Just after midnight on Sunday night, the flag flying above the White House was hoisted back to full staff.
Since Saturday evening, it had been positioned at half-staff to mark the death of Sen. John McCain, the former Vietnam prisoner of war and onetime Republican nominee for President. His death had sparked an outpouring of tributes from across the political spectrum, except at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, where President Donald Trump has yet to utter a word about McCain since his passing.

The White House flag returned to its regular position even as other flags around Washington -- including at the US Capitol -- remained in the half-staff mourning position.

The contrast offered the latest reminder of the animosity that Trump has maintained for McCain, even after his passing.

Trump has yet to offer a single word of praise or recognition of McCain's service since he died Saturday after a battle with brain cancer. The White House offered no official statement, but Trump did tweet his "deepest sympathies and respect" to McCain's family.

Early in his presidential bid, Trump -- who received five deferments to avoid military service in Vietnam -- infamously maintained that McCain was not a war hero because he had been captured. He never apologized or walked-back his comments, despite the fact that McCain was imprisoned and tortured in Vietnam for more than five years.
Barring an official White House proclamation ordering flags nationwide to be flown at half-staff in McCain's honor, the top Senate Republican and Democrat on Monday requested that the Defense Department "provide necessary support so that US flags on all government buildings remain at half-mast through sunset on the day of Senator
McCain's interment," Schumer's communications director said.

Defense Department guidelines call for flags to be flown at half-staff "from the day of death through the following day" in the event a US senator or member of Congress dies. But the President has the authority to order a longer period of mourning.

Even after McCain was diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer, Trump continued to launch broadsides in McCain's direction, lambasting him for his critical "no" vote that thwarted a last-ditch Republican effort to partially repeal Obamacare. Earlier this month, during a signing event for the national defense spending bill named after McCain, Trump did not once mention the senator.

During the time he remained active in the Senate, McCain also expressed deep misgivings about Trump's job as President, criticizing his handling of world affairs and the example he has set for the country.

McCain also made clear he did not want Trump to attend his funeral service, instead choosing former Presidents George W. Bush, a Republican, and Barack Obama, a Democrat, to eulogize him. Vice President Mike Pence is expected to represent the White House at McCain's funeral service.

Hey Donny, Eat shit and Die! The only people at your funeral, will be those that show up to piss on your grave!

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018

No, Captain John McCain had honor, something you wouldn't recognize if you were presented to it every day for the rest of your miserable, deplorable existance.

We ALL get it, he dared stand against your God-King and anyone without blind loyalty does not get recognized for his valor in service when it comes to you lot. This is the only thing you could find to criticize him over and it's what you are going with.

You are such an incredibly pathetic individual that it's not even amusing to taunt you over it, it just makes me sick to my stomach that the likes of you exist in my nation.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
We ALL get it, he dared stand against your God-King and anyone without blind loyalty does not get recognized for his valor in service when it comes to you lot. This is the only thing you could find to criticize him over and it's what you are going with.
Ted Kennedy did the same thing. I don't live in Arizona so it's no skin off of my nose. But should it happen in my state I'll make the biggest stink about it I can. A Senator is one thing, there is still one left although each state elects two. If it's your Representative that decides to retain their position for months on end despite not being able to be present to truly represent the people of his or her district that's far bigger. You then have essentially no representation at all.

My statements were simple ones and easily comprehended. But when everything that happens locally, nationally and in the world has to do with Trump because no matter how hard you try you just can't get him out of your head well, that's your problem not mine.

You are angry every day and I am happy. You have made your choice as I have made mine. Thanks for the laugh this morning. You've made my day that much brighter.

Jan 25, 2011
Well. Looks like it's McCain's fault that Trump has been petty with his lack of timely remarks and the flag matter per Sen James Inhoff (R).

Well, you know, frankly, I think that John McCain is partially to blame for that because he is very outspoken. He disagreed with the President in certain areas and wasn’t too courteous about it.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
RIP McCain.

I hope Trump can contain his twitterhea, not to mention honor the McCain family's wish to not attend the funeral. John liked his presidents not to be Russian assets.

I will always remember John exhibiting class and decorum when he was running for office against Obama, specifically when a woman said she couldn't trust Obama because he was a muslim. His response was the kind of class, respect and decorum that is now completely absent on the right.

Nonsense. Trump has nothing to do with Russia. The only reason why he agreed with Putin is because Putin was right about everything he said. Agreeing with the better man is not treason.

McCain was bitter and angry his whole life because he was shot down in Vietnam. Shot down by a Russian made jet, which was supposed to be inferior to its American counterparts at the time. Angry and upset, because his view of America as being invincible and superior to the rest of the world was instantly shattered. If you noticed, most of his politics were aimed against Russia in one way or another. He didn't want to open his mind and extend the peace pipe. He wanted to fight.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...n-should-be-given-a-medal-say-Communists.html

The Russians would never back away from a fight, hence warmongering politics are flawed. Diplomacy is where McCain did not excel. Where did war hungry politics take US? It all resulted in Russians producing a hyper-sonic nuke and a nuclear torpedo. Is that a good result?

Even though I never liked the man, I do hope he rests in peace, and wish the best to his family.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Nonsense. Trump has nothing to do with Russia. The only reason why he agreed with Putin is because Putin was right about everything he said. Agreeing with the better man is not treason.

McCain was bitter and angry his whole life because he was shot down in Vietnam. Shot down by a Russian made jet, which was supposed to be inferior to its American counterparts at the time. Angry and upset, because his view of America as being invincible and superior to the rest of the world was instantly shattered. If you noticed, most of his politics were aimed against Russia in one way or another. He didn't want to open his mind and extend the peace pipe. He wanted to fight.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...n-should-be-given-a-medal-say-Communists.html

The Russians would never back away from a fight, hence warmongering politics are flawed. Diplomacy is where McCain did not excel. Where did war hungry politics take US? It all resulted in Russians producing a hyper-sonic nuke and a nuclear torpedo. Is that a good result?

Even though I never liked the man, I do hope he rests in peace, and wish the best to his family.

That was some excellent spin! Welcome to p&n!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

jesus fucking christ