MBM 5 question

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Hey guys;

MBM reports my diode (internal CPU sensor?) temp as 40c and the socket temp (in the cavity under the CPU core?) as 30c. Both temps are at idle. My question is why that much of a difference and is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Sheriff

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
I'm thinking one is the MoBo Temp (30C) while the other is the CPU (40C) and that would be normal.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I've got 3 sensors running in the tray and one says Case and reads 24c. Is 20c defference between the socket and diode normal?

Nickel020

Jun 26, 2002
MBM doesn't give the Sensors names like "Case" it just says Asus 1, Asus 2 etc. Check the MBM website to confirm your sensors are correctly assigned.
In your first post you say Diode CPU temp is 40C and socket is 30C which is a 10C difference. I remember reading somewhere that Asus adds 10C to all socket temps when looked at in the BIOS because that's how much the socket temp is usually below the diode temp (acccording to Asus).

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Nickel020
MBM doesn't give the Sensors names like "Case" it just says Asus 1, Asus 2 etc. Check the MBM website to confirm your sensors are correctly assigned.
In your first post you say Diode CPU temp is 40C and socket is 30C which is a 10C difference. I remember reading somewhere that Asus adds 10C to all socket temps when looked at in the BIOS because that's how much the socket temp is usually below the diode temp (acccording to Asus).

New to version 5.3.6 are dowloadable configuration files for specific motherboards. I didn't actively name the sensors or do anything other than minor tweaking. Are you saying that it's possible that the sensors are pointed to the wrong sources? TBH, I never considered that. The difference in what I listed I think is because I switched to fahrenheit so it would make more sense, being that I'm not native to metric.

Nickel020

Jun 26, 2002
Well, there are several different versions of the A7N8X Deluxe and they may have different sensor assignments (e.g. Asus 1 may be "Case" v1.0 of the mobo but not in v2.0). On my MSI K7N2-L the sensor that is reading the CPU diode temp actually changed from one BIOS version to the next (confirmed on MBM's website).

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
For my A7N8X DLX Rev 2 with MBM5 the Case is Asus 2, Socket is Asus 1, and Diode is w83l785ts-s Diode. Some times the socket temp is above the Diode but that is ussually just a mis measure ment you can tell by which sensor is the diode by which rises fastest when u run prime95 or another program to test stability.

The reason hte Diode is much hotter is because it is actually in the CPU the socket reasing is not in the actual CPU it is sitting under neith it and really only reading the PCB's temperture at that spot.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: JBT
For my A7N8X DLX Rev 2 with MBM5 the Case is Asus 2, Socket is Asus 1, and Diode is w83l785ts-s Diode. Some times the socket temp is above the Diode but that is ussually just a mis measure ment you can tell by which sensor is the diode by which rises fastest when u run prime95 or another program to test stability.

The reason hte Diode is much hotter is because it is actually in the CPU the socket reasing is not in the actual CPU it is sitting under neith it and really only reading the PCB's temperture at that spot.

Okay, that makes sense. Is there anything available that would be more accurate. I'll get a copy of prime95 ASAP.

Sheriff

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
I see you have the Digidoc. Didn't that device have a thermal temp wire/device that you could slip between the MoBo and CPU?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Sheriff
I see you have the Digidoc. Didn't that device have a thermal temp wire/device that you could slip between the MoBo and CPU?

Yup, it does. But weaving a wire between the pins of the CPU and the ZIF would pop-up one side of the core and bork the thermal interface, wouldn't in?

Sheriff

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
I've used them in a few Rigs, albiet a different Monitoring device, but had no problems.