MBA Goes back to sleep after I wake it up

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by QueHuong, Dec 7, 2012.

1. QueHuong

QueHuong Platinum Member

Been seeing this often where I close the laptop lid when done to put it to sleep. then later when I open the lid and enter my password to get to the desktop, everything seems to be ok until the screen turns black. I press the power button to wake it back up again. It doesn't seem to be harmful, as there's no error and my laptop didn't lose data. Does anyone know what's going on?

2. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

No... what generation Air and is it still under warranty?

How long has this been going on?

3. QueHuong

QueHuong Platinum Member

Yes, it's still under warranty. It's last year's model, which I bought refurbed.

4. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

How long has this been a problem? My OG MacBook would do this from time to time, but not all that frequently. And my '10 MBA has never done it that I can recall.

5. fr

fr Diamond Member

I had a MBP that did that. I read that reseating the RAM might fix it and it did. That probably doesn't help you much in your case.

6. Slamrish

Slamrish Junior Member

Try a few things:

Delete the Sleep Image and Restart the Computer > Permissions Repair (Disk Utility) > Reseat RAM > Archive and Installation of Operating System > Erase and Install

If all of that doesn't work then something is fucked up pretty bad and I would take it for a genius bar appointment. A refurb from Apple comes with a one year warranty just like a new computer.

7. yehness

yehness Member

The Screen on my MBP awakes after I turn the backlight off.

8. Tweak155

Tweak155 Lifer

Maybe it is just tired?

9. QueHuong

QueHuong Platinum Member

Hey guys, sorry for the belated update. I tried Slamrish's suggestions about deleting sleep image and performing permissions repair. For a few weeks, everything seems fine so far. I'm not sure if the problem is truly solved, since of the past month, I see it less and less. Before, I would get this problem every few days. So something changed recently that cut down the frequency. And now after the above suggestions, I haven't had that problem anymore. Let's hope it's truly solved. Thanks all.

10. Emulex

Emulex Diamond Member

change the hybrid sleep mode to delay the image write to like 4-8 hours.

When you close the lid, it writes ram to the disk (hiberfil). It gets confused if you open it back up too quickly. If you delay this write to say 4 hours, it will give you more window of QUICK WAKE UP.

if you get a screen, then have to wait a few seconds before you can do anything, this is your problem.

11. QueHuong

QueHuong Platinum Member

Oh ok, thanks. I have opened the MBA after shutting it off, so your suggestion sounds like it would address my issue. Thanks.