MB with SLI

BigfootKevin

Jun 6, 2005
Can someone catch me up with the times? lol

I'm just now trying to learn about motherboard's with SLI. What exactly does it stand for? I know so far that they are PCI-E compatible boards, and have more than 1 PCI-E slot. I also heard that you can only use 2 nvidia PCI-E where as ATI doesn't support the use of 2? Or maybe im being fed wrong info.

Can someone please set me straight :p

I'm currently upgrading from a P4 system to an AMD system with a PCI-E so i'll be future proofed.

currently looking at using an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice socket 939 chip. Also, if anyone could recommend me a better CPU and a motherboard that'd be great.

I'm mostly a gamer if that'll clear some choices up.

Bucks

Jun 23, 2004

Promethply

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: BigfootKevin
Since these boards say "Nvidia nforce 4" does that mean that only Nvidia cards will work with it?

You can use any PCI-E graphics card in a non SLI configuration (single card).

But in SLI, you can only use 2 X nVidia based PCI-E graphics cards.

Promethply

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Unless you're into radical OCing, I'd go with the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe for the mobo. I have mine humming along happily since January (HT OCed to 233 MHz) :)

BigfootKevin

Jun 6, 2005
Alright, thanks for the info guys.

So SLI means you HAVE to use 2 PCI-E cards, or just an option?

I'm not into the whole overclocking area and don't want to plan on getting into it. I spend enough money on comp parts and I don't want to have to worry about blowing my stuff up or buying extra gadgets to keep my system cool because of overclocking :p

I probably would have gone with ABIT like my previous board, but the fan makes a loud noise upon turning the computer on. I read that ABIT is pretty notorious for this, otherwise it's a good board.

ASUS it is.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
I probably would have gone with ABIT like my previous board, but the fan makes a loud noise upon turning the computer on. I read that ABIT is pretty notorious for this, otherwise it's a good board.

ASUS it is.

Well then ignore that noise coming from the Asus chipset fan, it's just your imagination!

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
If you don't want to deal with a noisey chipset fan, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium, uses a heatpipe for silent cooling instead.

BigfootKevin

Jun 6, 2005
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

ASUS it is.

Well then ignore that noise coming from the Asus chipset fan, it's just your imagination!

lol, I should have said the board lately has been making loud noises that aren't normal :p Like the bearings or whatever makes it spin are worn out or somethin.

Waylay00

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
The ASUS A8N-SLI Premium looks to be a very nice board. I will be receiving mine shortly. It's an updated version of the A8N-SLI Deluxe, and has better overclocking features, has a passive chipset cooling heatpipe, and allows you to switch between SLI and non-SLI modes without having to physically adjust the selector card.

Promethply

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Alright, thanks for the info guys.

So SLI means you HAVE to use 2 PCI-E cards, or just an option?

I'm not into the whole overclocking area and don't want to plan on getting into it. I spend enough money on comp parts and I don't want to have to worry about blowing my stuff up or buying extra gadgets to keep my system cool because of overclocking :p

ASUS it is.

On NF4 SLI boards, you have the option to use either a single, or dual PCI-E cards.

Regarding the chipset fan noise, AFAIK, so far only the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and the newest ABIT SLI mobo use the heatpipe method of cooling the chipset, making the chipset noise a non issue on those boards.