Question mb for 12900k

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdb

Banned
Jun 8, 2022
hey guys

I wanna build a new pc for rendering based on 12900k.
my question is do i have to buy an expensive mb or something like asus z690_A or msi pro z690_A will do job. btw, im not gonna overclocking it .

another question is do i really have to buy a 360 aio cooler for 12900k or 240 aio cooler or noctua nh d15 chromax is enough for this cpu?

again im not gonna overclock it

tnx

Just go away. This is your 4th account.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
It all depends on the sum of all components.

What GPU are you thinking about using? ---- this makes a big difference in temps due to the excess heat they put off when engaged.

I run a 12700K w/ air cooling using a $50 6-pipe cooler but, I'm not using it as a work station nor did I put a GPU into it since it's a headless Linux box I use for a variety of things from a router to a media server.

AIO's are intriguing but, not necessary in all cases if you have good air flow and proper IHS contact with the cooler whether paste or graphite pads or LM.

Comparing the 12900 / 12700 though it's not worth the inflated price for the 900..

Here's a list of what I'm using https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKYwGq

My CPU temps usually sit around room temp ~27C and might go up to ~50C under load.

As to the MOBO's I'm leery on Asus / Gigabyte right now with their issues / recalls. MSI I've used in the past but have found more value / options with ASRock on my last couple of builds in the past couple of years.

The next debate will probably whether or not to pay the DDR5 tax. Right now it's not worth it but, RAM prices did come down. There's no real benefits to using them though as the parity between DDR5 & 4 is at the same level. Now, when 13th gen CPU's come out something might change because around the same time AMD is releasing a new platform as well opening the door to DDR5 / PCI5 like ADL did last fall.

Reactions: bdb

bdb

Banned
Jun 8, 2022
It all depends on the sum of all components.

What GPU are you thinking about using? ---- this makes a big difference in temps due to the excess heat they put off when engaged.

I run a 12700K w/ air cooling using a $50 6-pipe cooler but, I'm not using it as a work station nor did I put a GPU into it since it's a headless Linux box I use for a variety of things from a router to a media server.

AIO's are intriguing but, not necessary in all cases if you have good air flow and proper IHS contact with the cooler whether paste or graphite pads or LM.

Comparing the 12900 / 12700 though it's not worth the inflated price for the 900..

Here's a list of what I'm using https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKYwGq

My CPU temps usually sit around room temp ~27C and might go up to ~50C under load.

As to the MOBO's I'm leery on Asus / Gigabyte right now with their issues / recalls. MSI I've used in the past but have found more value / options with ASRock on my last couple of builds in the past couple of years.

The next debate will probably whether or not to pay the DDR5 tax. Right now it's not worth it but, RAM prices did come down. There's no real benefits to using them though as the parity between DDR5 & 4 is at the same level. Now, when 13th gen CPU's come out something might change because around the same time AMD is releasing a new platform as well opening the door to DDR5 / PCI5 like ADL did last fall.

tnx man.

these are the component that im gonna buy.
case : lian li dynamic evo or lian li lancool2
ram : 32g ddr5 5200 mhz
gpu : 1660ti ( right now, i have this on my current system which im gonna use it for the new system but maybe in the future i switch to 3070 )
cpu: 12900k
mb : im more into asus or msi. so one of these two : asus z690_A or msi pro z690_A ( as i said before im not gonna overclock it. ) but cause 12900k will draw more power under heavy tasks like rendering, i wanna know if these 2 board are fine or i have to buy a better board for this cpu.

12900 has more core than 12700, so i can render much faster than 12700.

so base on these specs, which cooler should i get? an 360/240 aio or an air cooler like noctua nh d15 chromax ?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Personally I would focus on updating the GPU for rendering and pull back on the CPU/RAM and the cooler is a waste of money since you get more rendering power out of the GPU.

It's your money though. There's no reason to pay the DDR5 tax on the MOBO / RAM which does add another ~$200 to the price not to mention the 12900 tax. If you insist though then I would go with MSI over Asus.

As to the cooler I can run my CPU full bore and it only hits ~50C w/ proper cooling / fans. Don't be fooled into spending more than is necessary. I too was looking AIO's before coming to my senses and just sticking with a tower instead.

Jul 27, 2020
Personally I would focus on updating the GPU for rendering and pull back on the CPU/RAM and the cooler is a waste of money since you get more rendering power out of the GPU.
^^^^ This. You really need to understand what your rendering software of choice uses more effectively, the CPU or GPU? Otherwise, you will end up wasting money and worse, waiting on your rendering jobs for hours instead of minutes if you make the wrong hardware choice.

bdb

Banned
Jun 8, 2022
tnx guys

actualy my system is too old. its a sandy bridge system ( i7 2600k). and my render engines are vray and arnold ( they both support gpu/cpu), adobe premier and photoshop .

so, whats your suggestion? what hardware should i buy ?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
tnx guys

actualy my system is too old. its a sandy bridge system ( i7 2600k). and my render engines are vray and arnold ( they both support gpu/cpu), adobe premier and photoshop .

so, whats your suggestion? what hardware should i buy ?
I rant about everyone always saying to wait, but here I am saying it. Wait, if you can, a little longer. New CPUs and GPUs are almost here. If nothing else maybe they will cause further price drops on current stuff.

If you can't wait, the 12900K is a great pick for Photo shop and premiere. Vray and Autodesk Maya and Arnold support nvidia RTX features. Seems like a great build for your workflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.