Mayor Palin Left Town Saddled With Huge Debt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Has KOS always been this stupid?? Or are they out to win some award for stupidest political website?

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Waiting for a denial here davepeyton
Thanks for the bump!

Got to keep this near the top.

Dave, just go ahead & admit it, there are too many similarities...

I believe mod call outs are against the rules? Hes not the one that had to be reinstated from a ban now is he?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: cliftonite

Hes not the one that had to be reinstated from a ban now is he?

?

I'll let it go, and we shall see. It wasn't my intent to call out a mod. If they see fit to ban/vacation me I'll live.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Has KOS always been this stupid?? Or are they out to win some award for stupidest political website?

I think dailyPOS is very credible :laugh:

Originally posted by: TechAZ
Jpeyton, keep us up to date on your RSS feeds from Digg.com, Salon.com, Democraticunderground.com, DailyKOS.com, Huffingtonpost.com, and Olbermann's show. This is some good stuff!

roflmfao!

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Actually, it was brilliant on her part, the state of Texas took an adverserial stance, and it ended up in a standoff, ugly stuff.

Sometimes it's best to keep your enemies close.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks for the bump!

Good for you! Just keep reminding the sociopaths that their Gods have feet of clay.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Small towns have bonds for projects like the ice hockey arena or roads... projects that need to be done for the community and such that they can't afford but will pay for itself over time.

Most people, and probably you, did not know about the "under God" quote on the money and who was responsible for it until you read that in one of your left wing blogs. You're really digging with that one. I love your partial news clip.

Attacking her for wanting to open ANWR will not be a good political move for you guys, about 50% of the country is for it. Also, I don't think it's going to be healthy to attack McCain for not picking someone that agrees with him 100% on every issue, considering how many issue Obama and Biden clash on.

jpeyton - shutup, you're annoying as hell.

Opening ANWR would be the dumbest thing we could do. There isn't enough oil there to make a substantial difference in our prices and we'd be destroying another American national treasure. I'm no tree-hugger, but I also recognize that we're slowing destroying some of the most beautiful parts of this country and ANWR would be a crime against future generations of Americans.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Thanks for the bump!

I believe mod call outs are against the rules? Hes not the one that had to be reinstated from a ban now is he?

How is that a mod call out? You're the first one to mention that he's a mod, are you looking for a ban?

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: JD50
Thanks for the bump!

How is that a mod call out? You're the first one to mention that he's a mod, are you looking for a ban?

Why would I. Accusing a moderator of having duplicate accounts without a shred of proof seemed like a call out to me.

Drop the *Mod stuff* please.

Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered, but WILL take the opportunity to remind you and others that unless Mods are posting in their official capacity (as noted by a special *Mod Signature*) they are posting as regular members.

I.e., you had no basis for dragging the *Mod Stuff* into this thread.

Fern
AnandTech P&N Moderator

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
Small towns have bonds for projects like the ice hockey arena or roads... projects that need to be done for the community and such that they can't afford but will pay for itself over time.

Most people, and probably you, did not know about the "under God" quote on the money and who was responsible for it until you read that in one of your left wing blogs. You're really digging with that one. I love your partial news clip.

Attacking her for wanting to open ANWR will not be a good political move for you guys, about 50% of the country is for it. Also, I don't think it's going to be healthy to attack McCain for not picking someone that agrees with him 100% on every issue, considering how many issue Obama and Biden clash on.

Opening ANWR would be the dumbest thing we could do. There isn't enough oil there to make a substantial difference in our prices and we'd be destroying another American national treasure. I'm no tree-hugger, but I also recognize that we're slowing destroying some of the most beautiful parts of this country and ANWR would be a crime against future generations of Americans.

:confused:

http://www.anwr.org/flash.htm

And who says there isn't enough oil there to make a difference? Democrats? Environmental Lobbyists? A handful of "experts"?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

And who says there isn't enough oil there to make a difference? Democrats? Environmental Lobbyists? A handful of "experts"?

Estimates peg it at less than 1.5 % of consumption in 2030, when it would come online. That wouldn't impact prices much and, like I said, I'd rather leave ANWR untouched and pay 15 cents more per gallon of gas.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007

Estimates peg it at less than 1.5 % of consumption in 2030, when it would come online. That wouldn't impact prices much and, like I said, I'd rather leave ANWR untouched and pay 15 cents more per gallon of gas.

I would too, but I'm not going to just sit there and take left winger/environmentalist estimates at face value. And the part about it's beauty there is far far from the truth. That's what the environmentalists portrayed, mountains, trees, polar bears. It's tundra, not some vacation or wildlife watching area.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

"The Federal Government"?

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Links to the Fed Gov't please. I would actually like to give it a read over.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: eskimospy

More specific - the Department of Energy - lol

Try Google, TechAZ ... it really, really works :)

The question for me regarding if it's worth it is how much would ANWR, increased offshore drilling, increased onshore drilling all combined would make.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
We use 25% of the world's oil, and have less than 3% of the world's oil reserves.

You don't need a two dollar calculator to figure that one out.

:laugh:

BTW, the Bristol Palin pregnant at 17 news is going to bring the abortion debate front and center, along with her social conservative facade.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

I would too, but I'm not going to just sit there and take left winger/environmentalist estimates at face value. And the part about it's beauty there is far far from the truth. That's what the environmentalists portrayed, mountains, trees, polar bears. It's tundra, not some vacation or wildlife watching area.

Who cares if it's tundra? I still don't like the idea of covering the Sonora Desert with condos even though it's just a pile of sand.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007

Who cares if it's tundra? I still don't like the idea of covering the Sonora Desert with condos even though it's just a pile of sand.

The Sonora Desert is beautiful and people actually flock here to live in it and vacation.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Topic: Mayor Palin Left Town Saddled With Huge Debt

Back to point ...

The multi-use sports complex of the City of Wasilla has around $17.2 million in total liabilities and debt service. The annual operating cost (no debt service or capital expense) is around $220,000 a year.

The facility generates around $65,000 a year in revenues ... :p

It looks like around $1.9 million a year from sales tax revenue is transferred to pay overall operating and capital expenses.

Wasilla is the 'big city' in the borough (or county) of Mat-Su. Total borough population is around 65k with a land area the size of the state of West Virginia. The claim to fame for Wasilla is Walmart (the biggest store in Alaska?) and something called Fred Myer Stores. The area seems to be one big gravel pit after another.

Best I can tell, Wasilla is the retail hub of Mat-Su Borough. The City cut property tax rates and then raised sales taxes - primarily to pay for the 'multi-use sports complex'.

It seems one of their most notable former citizens is April Flowers (W A R N I N G : p0rn notice)

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
The annual operating cost (no debt service or capital expense) is around $220,000 a year.

The facility generates around $65,000 a year in revenues ... :p
'Nuff said. The hockey-mom wanted to immortalize herself with a poorly planned, poorly funded, poorly thought-out facility. Then she skipped town, leaving the residents with tens of millions of dollars in debt.