ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Sunnyvale driver plows car into pedestrians he believed were Muslim

Oy vey!

Maybe we should just ban religion all together. There has been more killing and grief caused by belief in the one true god and protecting him than by almost all others.
A couple decades ago I worked with a Turkish immigrant who one day kind of out of the blue said that religion was just a big problem all in all. We didn't have a discussion, but there was something in him and what he said that made his pronouncement just plain weighty and I've never forgotten it. Osama Bin Laden was famously a religious zealot. People use a religious mask in an attempt to justify murderous and other vile impulses since time immemorial.

Reactions: hal2kilo

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
What people need to do is keep their personal religious beliefs locked up, just like their guns should be.
And as with guns, keep their beliefs away from the kids as well.
Let the kid decide about religion, if they even care to, later in life and on their own.
Same with the guns.

Religion per se is not the issue, it is the damn fanatics that are hell bent on shoving their beliefs down the throats of others.
And, to take it on themselves to judge others who might not share in their beliefs.
True, it is screwed up as hell and has lead to millions of deaths and injuries throughout history.
Not to mention the torment of society itself.
Take abortion clinics for example.
The protestors that lurk outside to harass those women inside in the name of religion.
And just look at the face of those protestors.
They are so screwed up as individuals. The protestors look bat shet crazed in the eyes. Always the case.

What the women going into the clinics need to tell those protestors.......
"sure, I will have my baby and not abort if..... you Mr protestor will sign this document then go with me to have it notarized stating that you personally agree to pay for all of my medical and living expenses while I am carrying this unborn baby. You agree to pay everything I will need for me and my unborn child. Then, after the birth you must also agree in writing, notarized, to house and feed my child until the age of 18. Or as option two, you will first agree to pay all my expenses before birth, then agree to adopt my newborn baby immediately after birth and raise my child as your own child. Within your home. Providing everything the child will need up to the age of 18. Plus, agree to have a financial plan set aside to allow your adopted child to attend college if they so desire.
Just sign here on the dotted line and walk with me to the nearest notary.
Then, I will agree not to follow through with this abortion."

Now, just wait and see how many of those so caring protestors are willing to put their money and their personal obligation where their mouth is. Exactly what they are demanding that expectant mother do. Ignoring the fact this expectant mother may be single, poor, alone, possibly homeless, and have no source of help from anyone or from anywhere.
Everyone knows Mr and Mrs republican tax payer aren't about to help those mothers. Nor will republican controlled local governments. They are busy cutting and denying assistance, they never increase it. And after voting to cut assistance, they go straight to the abortion clinics to protest and demanding those mothers have their baby.
They call it their religious beliefs. Poor single mothers call it hell on earth.

A little off subject, but not really.
We're talking about people that believe they have it all figured out, then insist you also believe in what they believe.
Religion and matters associated with religion are perfect examples.
Abortion, sexuality, race, you name it.
The other option? Keep your damn opinions to yourself.
People are whats wrong with religion, not religion itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lezunto

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Yeah lets find a senator to propose an change to the first amendment. You go first-

It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
religion is just another excuse to hate on people. Banning it wouldn't prevent things like this.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
As someone who was born into a Christian family and then came to hate the religion, religion is not the problem. I hated Christianity for a long time. Then the simple truth hit me... religion isn't the problem - people are the problem. If it wasn't religion, people would find some other reason to hate and kill each other. I still find the parable of why atheists exist to be quite telling. The whole why they do nice things because they genuinely want to versus wonder about a higher power judging you .... but that's just me.

Edit: Make no mistake though, it would be something else.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
As someone who was born into a Christian family and then came to hate the religion, religion is not the problem. I hated Christianity for a long time. Then the simple truth hit me... religion isn't the problem - people are the problem. If it wasn't religion, people would find some other reason to hate and kill each other. I still find the parable of why atheists exist to be quite telling. The whole why they do nice things because they genuinely want to versus wonder about a higher power judging you .... but that's just me.

Edit: Make no mistake though, it would be something else.

This is my take as well. I feel that way for all the 'emotional' things people get wrapped up in and somehow think they'll stop by banning things and actions. It never stops people and they just find other reasons and methods. It sounds like a bit of a downer to say it, but if you just quit worrying about everyone else and live your life you'll be much happier. Some people are nice, some are not. Some people need a reason to be good, others do not.

Reactions: PJFrylar

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Religion the greatest con invented by man. It's only purpose is to control the weak-minded.

I guess that means 84% of the worlds population are weak-minded. Good luck with that.