Maybe Pritzker ain't so bad

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

You definitely wouldn't get this with a Republican governor.

I'm curious as to how this might help reduce crime rates and improve law enforcement. After all, if you can easily score some weed at a store, you might be more tempted to stay inside than get into a violent dust-up. And police will not only have more time to spend on genuinely serious crimes, but more money in general.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I have no doubt Republicans will find a way to stop this.
Just checked and seems that IL is Democrat controlled now, so maybe it'll pass.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Sounds good, but it's been legal now in California for some time, a move which I supported but have yet not had enough interest to follow through on to go buy any. Meh. I used to have a greenhouse full of a hundred or so species of cactus including the one Native Americans use, but I never could bring myself to eat my beautiful babies. I used to grow them from seed too.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

In DC the voters passed cannabis laws. Republican Andy Harris, not of DC, has been trying to further strip DC voters of their rights as Americans by nullifying their vote.

Always sticking their noses where they don't belong, trying to enforce their fake morals on everyone else. Drugs, abortion, religion, Yemen, Keep your fucking white power religious bullshit off my lawn jack. No wonder they get kicked out of everywere they go. Facebook, Twitter, restaurants, even Starbucks pisses in your coffee. Take the hint.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I know a lot of people who voted for Pritzker just for this, I'm hoping it passes as it's long overdue. I feel like this is one of the few issues that people agree on, I know plenty of conservatives that support legalization.

Reactions: dank69

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Don't like Pritzker, didn't vote for him in the primary, but, in the general, he was very much the lesser of 2 evils. (Daniel Bliss would have been a better choice IMO.)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Supermajorities in both houses. This is happening.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Don't like Pritzker, didn't vote for him in the primary, but, in the general, he was very much the lesser of 2 evils. (Daniel Bliss would have been a better choice IMO.)

Rauner, besides being a republican, was simply horrible at the job. No political feel whatsoever.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
While I have no issue with legalization for recreational use I believe this will not solve Illinois's long standing debt crisis. It is just a band aid that will not stop the bleeding. Pension reform is what is truly needed to really get Illinois back on track but that would require a State Constitutional amendment.
Mike Madigan helped sign that amendment back in 1970 and it is unlikely that he will lead the way in amending it even though the party he leads has a supermajority.

This will just be one more tax for residents that already pay some of the highest taxes in the country.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
While I have no issue with legalization for recreational use I believe this will not solve Illinois's long standing debt crisis. It is just a band aid that will not stop the bleeding. Pension reform is what is truly needed to really get Illinois back on track but that would require a State Constitutional amendment.
Mike Madigan helped sign that amendment back in 1970 and it is unlikely that he will lead the way in amending it even though the party he leads has a supermajority.

This will just be one more tax for residents that already pay some of the highest taxes in the country.

On the plus side, people will stop being arrested for carrying around small quantities of a harmless plant.
It should free up our court system from people being prosecuted due to some bizarre fixation with persecuting people who carry around a harmless plant.
Maybe it'll stop police from wasting peoples time with unnecessary searches of their vehicles when they pull people over for no reason.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Didn't I just read somewhere that Illinois passed a "No double dipping" law?

That would be a start at least. Long way to go.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's a start in the right direction, although I doubt the Constitutionality of different possession limits for residents & non residents...