May I present our lovely post-racial American society

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
All of this over proposed changes to how trash is collected.

St. Paul Minnesota police are investigating who may have sent threatening and racist messages to Mayor Melvin Carter in the days leading up to a contentious vote on organized trash collection.

In a voice mail left Monday at Carter’s office, an anonymous caller using racial slurs warned that if taxes increase, Carter will have to “pay for it” and be forced to put “bulletproof windows” in his house, said police spokesman Sgt. Mike Ernster.

Hate letters mailed to City Hall earlier this month contained newspaper clippings about the upcoming trash referendum with handwritten notes in black Sharpie.

One addressed to Carter, the city’s first African-American mayor, said: “This is what we get for voting a (racial epithet) boy.” Another envelope sent in June read, “This is B.S. you (expletive) (racial slur).”

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Another good one.

Diamond Reynolds, who livestreamed the aftermath of her boyfriend Philando Castile’s fatal officer-involved shooting in 2016, is suing the mayor of Elysian, Minn. for his 2017 tweet saying she would spend her settlement money on “crack cocaine.”

Reynolds was in the passenger seat and her 4-year-old daughter was in the back seat when Castile, who was driving, was fatally shot in 2016 by then-St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez during a traffic stop. Yanez was tried and acquitted in June 2017 of manslaughter in Castile’s death.

Reynolds received a $800,000 settlement in November 2017 from the city of St. Anthony, the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust and the city of Roseville in connection with the shooting, which garnered worldwide attention.

McBroom tweeted a few days after news of the settlement was made public.

“She needs to come off County and State Aid now that she has some cash,” McBroom tweeted in 2017. “It’ll be gone in 6 months on crack cocaine.”

The Elysian city website lists McBroom as mayor. He was a City Council member when he sent the tweet. A call to the city and an e-mail sent to McBroom’s mayoral e-mail account were not immediately returned.

McBroom’s tweet drew criticism on social media, with one tweeter saying in 2017: “Lot of false assumptions on your part.”

Another tweeter questioned why McBroom would draw such a conclusion. “I’m guessing stereotypes. #uneducated.”

“History,” McBroom tweeted in reply.

In an interview with City Pages in 2017, McBroom said people misunderstood his comments and said he was referring to the temptation to spend rather than save large settlements.

“I’ve seen them come to court. They’ve lost their children, but they come to court dressed to the nines with Michael Kors purses,” McBroom told City Pages. “To be frank with you … I see it time and time again and I just shake my head and say why wasn’t there anyone to help that person?”

McBroom told City Pages that his comment had nothing to do with Reynolds’ race (she is black). “I have friends of mine in the Minneapolis Police Department. And you know, that’s an epidemic up there, crack cocaine and opioids.”

• Wow
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Welp! Looks like trump found his Stephen miller replacement!

I’m sure his comments were only in response to democrat policies. /eyeroll

Reactions: Meghan54