Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames. (nVidia)

RyanGreener

Nov 9, 2009
Hi everyone. I've been looking at the nVidia control panel and I'm wondering what type of settings I should use for this. If it helps, I am playing on a laptop and this situation is specifically for SC2. Should I make this setting lower or higher than 3? I have capped the game to 30 FPS and I am not using Vsync/Triple Buffering. Should I raise it higher because I am playing at a lower FPS, or lower it to reduce the load on the CPU? (although I do not know if lowering it will reduce the CPU load at all)

AoS810

Aug 19, 2008
This doesn't address your concern.. but I'm just curious/wondering why you would cap your fps at 30? What.. benefits does that provide? Thanks!

RyanGreener

Nov 9, 2009
This doesn't address your concern.. but I'm just curious/wondering why you would cap your fps at 30? What.. benefits does that provide? Thanks!

I capped it to 30 FPS because my laptop hardware isn't strong enough to consistently stay at 60 FPS. To me, I'd rather play at a constant 30 FPS then have an FPS that shifts from 40-60 up and down. It's not that bad, and its nice that it seemingly reduces the stress on the CPU/GPU.

I've done more research on raising it and lowering it, and basically if your CPU isn't that strong it seems a lower setting (or the standard 3) is better. More powerful CPUs can use higher settings though, from what it seems

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You want pre rendered frames as low as possible, to minimize input lag. Unless you like input lag :)

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
You want pre rendered frames as low as possible, to minimize input lag. Unless you like input lag :)
Why doesn't the setting make any difference in Aero (desktop)? I have it changed from 3 to 0 or 1 and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference at the desktop, but for the D3D games I've played it makes some difference, although not as much as turning vsync off with the same number of max prerendered frames.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why doesn't the setting make any difference in Aero (desktop)? I have it changed from 3 to 0 or 1 and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference at the desktop, but for the D3D games I've played it makes some difference, although not as much as turning vsync off with the same number of max prerendered frames.

good question, i would imagine it may have something to do with areo not using Nvidia's control panel settings to render, Perhaps its not considered a 3d application by the Nvidia drivers and doesnt apply settings. Hopefully some super smart AT member will know the answer.