Maximum length for a monitor cable..

milehigh

Nov 1, 1999
I'm playing with the idea of setting up a pctv system but I still want to have a monitor/kb/mouse setup across the room from the CPU. How long can I extend the ps2 and monitor cables without having an adverse effect on quality??

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
There is no real set length... best bet is to try what you need and see if it works. It would vary on how much interferance you had etc.. And how much youd notice any degrading of image quality.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Talking to our engineers here at work, they've purchased +100 foot VGA cables before. We're an architecture and engineering company and we've done a considerable amount of high tech work in the past and I'm fairly confident my guys know what they're talking about. They said that the cables do come at a premium because of the amount and quality of cable shielding required to run distances that far. The cable shielding is the main component that reduces "ghosting" associated with running VGA long distances or near sources of electrical interferance.

Your best bet is to buy the highest quality cable at the length you need. Anything over 25 feet, you're going to pay some serious $$$ for.

techfuzz

AhMun

Dec 30, 1999
Why don't you put the Computer near the TV and use wireless mouse/Keyboard?

milehigh

Nov 1, 1999
I do plan on putting the computer near the TV and using the TV out function of my video card but I also wanted to have a spot I can sit down and view my 15" LCD to do word processing or other thing I don't necessarily need a 51" screen for.

I've an IR keyboard for this but I still need to get the monitor signal across the room. Looks like the most cost effective is to try the 25' vga cable..

Thanks for the replies.

ahsumdude

Nov 12, 2000
I've been running a monitor hooked up to an AB switch with each computer connected to the switch. Total length of both cables is about 12 feet. I haven't experienced any problems.