Maximal: A New Open-Source License

Discussion in '*nix Software' started by Jodell88, May 2, 2012.

1. Jodell88

Jodell88 Diamond Member

Short, sweet, and to the point. :thumbsup:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5NTQ

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Maximal Open Source Forum Date
    Why would a text editor have trouble opening a file? It's just text! *nix Software Apr 23, 2017
    "open" dialog keeps acting like I'm dragging *nix Software Jun 10, 2016
    Can't maximize windows unless one is already open *nix Software May 18, 2016
    Open LDAP GUI *nix Software Apr 21, 2016
    How to force every single program and every single dialog to open on the right screen *nix Software Feb 25, 2016

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I wonder what was wrong with the GPL?

Edit:
    Actually, it seems closer to BSD, but with a non-proprietary release clause. I find it hard to believe there wasn't already a suitable license that could be used. I don't have a problem with his terms, but I don't think more licenses is the way to go.

#2 lxskllr, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Jodell88

Jodell88 Diamond Member

There's too much IMO. D:
    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

5. zokudu

zokudu Diamond Member

I've actually heard theres a huge push away from the GPL in favor of something like the BSD license mainly because corporations don't touch GPL with a 10 ft pole but BSD allows it to be open source and corporations are comfortable contributing and using BSD based code allowing for better widespread usage.

6. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I think the "huge push" is exaggerated. With any push though, it means users should be pushing back. The GPL enforces freedom for users, and I fully endorse that. Corporations want the benefit of free code, but don't want to extend that benefit to others. That's despicable behavior, and counter to free computing which in these times is equivalent to free speech, free association, and freedom from unreasonable search/seizure.