Max Payne officially to be made into movie

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
There were a bunch of older threads on this, but I wasn't able to bump them.
gamespot
Fox turning Remedy and Rockstar's gritty shooter into a proper film noir--no cast or director is yet attached.

This week, it was Max Payne's turn. The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that 20th Century Fox is bankrolling a film version of the gritty third-person shooter from Rockstar Games and Finnish developer Remedy. The studio has inked a deal with the production companies Collision Entertainment and Firm Films to produce the Payne adaptation, which had been previously linked to Dimension Films. Scott Faye (the upcoming The Reaper) and Julie Yorn (Formula 51) will produce the project, which currently has no cast, director, or release date.

Easily one of the most cinematic games of the last few years, Max Payne profiles the titular antihero, a modern-day New York undercover cop whose wife and baby daughter are brutally murdered. If that wasn't bad enough, Payne is also framed for his a fellow cop's murder and becomes the subject of a massive manhunt by the police, the Mob, and a shadowy criminal organization. Besides sporting John Woo-style action and Matrix-esque bullet-time effects, the game also borrowed heavily from graphic novels, even using comic-book-style storyboards in lieu of cutscenes.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Yes! it was only matter of time, when I played the first game I was like WTF this would definitley make a great movie

Afrotech

Aug 3, 2004
i guess it could be cool if they do it right... i did enjoy the story of both games... *wonders about who will direct*

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
i still think half-life and half-life 2 would make an amazing movie. maybe make a movie for each.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Afrotech
i guess it could be cool if they do it right... i did enjoy the story of both games... *wonders about who will direct*

Come on, we need to stop kidding ourselves. How many good adaptions have there actually been in recent history besides RE?

733SHiFTY

Banned
Jun 22, 2005
Originally posted by: jndietz
i still think half-life and half-life 2 would make an amazing movie. maybe make a movie for each.

Yes, definetly. but then again, i would be soooo depressed if they made a sh!tty movie out of HL, not so much for max payne.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: 733SHiFTY

Yes, definetly. but then again, i would be soooo depressed if they made a sh!tty movie out of HL, not so much for max payne.

it'd be a total disappointment, given HL2's craptacular ending:|

LandRover

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
When I first played Max Payne, I was convinced that it had to be Michael T. Weiss doing the voice acting for Max. Weiss also looks a lot like Max (especially from the first game). Check these out (from The Pretender)... Jarod 1, Jarod 2.

I thought he was great in The Pretender, and I personally think he'd be a very convincing Max Payne.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: 733SHiFTY

it'd be a total disappointment, given HL2's craptacular ending:|

Seriously, that ending pissed me off to no end. Here I spend 18 hours in 2 days playing this game and I get to the end feeling like basically I was playing the intro to another game.

Feb 17, 2005
johnny knoxville would be a bad idea. because after watching all the things he's done on jackass and wildboys, it wouldnt be/feel right.