Max Payne 3 Trailer [TechReport]

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
im looking forward to it but wont get it at release unless it has godlike reviews

Pretty much this.

Max payne 1 was amazing... i still remember some of the little TV shows you could listen to if you didnt shoot the TVs by accident "mirrors are more fun than television" xD. Max payne 2 was cool but not as good as 1 IMO.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Not looking forward to playing a fat, bald and out of place Max Payne. These are video games ffs, why age the main character when you don't have to?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Not looking forward to playing a fat, bald and out of place Max Payne. These are video games ffs, why age the main character when you don't have to?

He's in another part of the world. Their story doesn't take him suddenly to another location so he must be older by the time the game begins.

Personally, I don't like the idea of playing a Max Payne game where I'm not a young cop with a full head of hair and a leather jacket pounding the streets of a major metropolis.

This feels like another FarCry2-like fiasco coming on.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That looks fucking stupid.
Thanks Rockstar for ruining another franchise!!

I guess they had to go all latin on us to appeal to modern demographics, and Denzel already did Man on Fire in Mexico, so next choice was Brazil.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I never thought this would be any good because it wasn't being done by Remedy.

I had always found it interesting how MP1 and 2 were just two years apart and that MP2 was shown for the first time less than 4 months before it hit store shelves. The best part of each game were the final boss (Nicole Horne in 1 and the Russian guy in 2).

floogy

Jun 28, 2001
It looked pretty good to me. Just because it's a sequel doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same. If it sucks I won't buy it. If it turns out to be a great game then I don't care if it's not set in New York. Besides, maybe they want to appeal to fat, balding gamers who happen to like warmer climates. :)

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
because that one minute teaser showed that it obviously couldnt be o_O

But seriously though, shouldn't a trailer try to put the game's best foot forward? Like everyone else, I'm not seeing the same dark, gritty, film-noir style Max Payne that I remember. TBH it doesn't look right set in a tropical location with all that sun. Maybe I'm just being cynical. But it all looks very wrong to me.

It also doesn't help that the trailer is generic as shit. Without Max Payne attached to it, I would've assumed it was for the new "Call of Juarez: The Cartel" or whatever it's called. Hell, it looks much closer to Kane & Lynch than Max Payne.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
because that one minute teaser showed that it obviously couldnt be o_O

Given how film noir is typically associated with stylized, darker visuals... that doesn't seem to match the very bright and vibrant scenes that we saw in the teaser. It did state that the visuals were actual in-game footage. Kind of like what someone else mentioned, it looks a bit like FarCry in an urban setting more so than Max Payne 1 or 2.

That isn't to say that the game won't be fun to play or have a good story, but usually when such a drastic change is made to a game's formula, the outcome isn't that good. :\

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Looks like Man on Fire staring Max Payne.

Made by the team that made Red Dead Redemption.

Probably getting it on release.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I saw this and it did not look like Max Payne. I was really looking foward to this too as I really enjoyed the first and second ones. I loved the story telling and the cutscenes but this...this does not look right at all.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
At least 1 and 2 were great, two of the all time greats for me. If they wanted to change the entire film noir perspective, they probably should not have gone with calling it Max Payne 3.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I thought it looked like the typical movie trilogy where the 3rd film..well just is "there" but really doesn't have much to do with any of the other films. It also looked like they are trying to make him look like and act like McClain from the Die Hard movies....granted..I loved Die Hard with a Vengence...but it wasn't actually a Die Hard movie, it was something else that they slapped into the Die Hard world...then again maybe this won't be so bad after all...

Redshirt 24

Jan 30, 2006
I didn't like the trailer, James McCaffrey's voice notwithstanding, but I'm holding out hope on the assumption that the usual rule holds for trailer quality being inversely proportionate to game quality.

And that they at least have some bitchin' monologues in it.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
to sum up what everyone said: just watch the trailer and listen to how out-of-place when the Max Payne theme music is cued at the end. Definitely not a film-noir style, definitely not Max Payne. It even reminds me of Modern Warfare 2 when they were in Brazil.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Given how film noir is typically associated with stylized, darker visuals... that doesn't seem to match the very bright and vibrant scenes that we saw in the teaser. It did state that the visuals were actual in-game footage. Kind of like what someone else mentioned, it looks a bit like FarCry in an urban setting more so than Max Payne 1 or 2.

That isn't to say that the game won't be fun to play or have a good story, but usually when such a drastic change is made to a game's formula, the outcome isn't that good. :\

well it is in sao paolo

teh story and emotion can still be very dark and hopefully they bring back the graphic novel style 'cut scenes'

but you guys are playing the typical nerd gamer role of OMFG the 20 second of sootage wasnt exactly what I envisioned so its obviously crap

Looks like Man on Fire staring Max Payne.

yup. maybe this is the redemtion of max, or the end of him

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
but you guys are playing the typical nerd gamer role of OMFG the 20 second of sootage wasnt exactly what I envisioned so its obviously crap

You sound like the "nerdrage" is completely unfounded. How often do sequels or products get completely re-envisioned and actually end up being good? Could the game be good? Sure, I don't doubt it, but it's certainly not the Max Payne that I played quite a few years back.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, but with a bit more scrutiny than normal.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I agree with Aikouka. Might be a good game, but has lost the "film noir" atmosphere that made the first two unique. Too bad.

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
This is not good. Really bad storyline of him going to Brazil Max payne would never do that, and it should have been him in New York, with a newstoryline.