maui, HAWAII pictures from past 2 weeks. 56k warning.

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
WARNING: this thread is 8 posts long because of the lame 10 picture limit. lame.

day 1:
- was about to board the plane when Jim Gaffigan comes from the side through "elite access" with his family to board. he was there with his wife, some other lady, and his kids... holding a backpack and HUGE thing of chik fil a.
- very nice plane and service. interactive monitors on headrests and a lot of decent food. nice job Continental. had upset stomach. that sucked.
- got flatbread pizza in Paia, then drove to Hana. it was dark. no pictures.
- went to bed.
http://forums.anandtech.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=14
day 2:
- went to "Venus Pool". jumped off of ~30 foot cliff into pool of salt+fresh water mix. was fucking awesome. swam around. jumped off a few more times. have pictures but waiting to get them (not on my camera). will update.
- went to Hamoa Beach. did some body surfing. got crushed by the waves. tweaked my shoulder but still had a lot of fun.

day 3:
- hitchhiked to Waianapanapa State Park
dscn1099copy.jpg
dscn1100copy.jpg

- walked along the fresh water caves down there, then went on the King's Trail. it was BEAUTIFUL. wish i had more pictures. awesome hike along the coast
dscn1116copy.jpg
dscn1126copy.jpg
dscn1138copy.jpg

- popped out at Hana Airport which was a cute little airport. cool that you could go right on runway like this
dscn1141copy.jpg

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
day 4:
- went to Red Sand Beach. it was a slightly difficult hike down to it, but not bad and well worth it. (first pic walking to it, then at it)
dscn1153copy.jpg
xdscn1150copy.jpg
dscn1148copy.jpg
dscn1147copy.jpg
dscn1151copy.jpg

- went to our first Banyan Tree of the trip. it was by this church by the Hana Maui Hotel
dscn1155copy.jpg

- went and got BBQ from local place, then went back to the beach and then went home

day 5:
- worked on the farm thing. dug holes and cleared an area to transplant banana trees
- nothing interesting/pictures

day 6:
- transplanted banana trees from one spot to another. was cool because you could literally push down the banana trees and then cut them. "Banana Blood" stained arms/clothing. fun stuff to be honest.
- went back to Hamoa Beach. it rained. went home.
- some pictures if you guys are interested, but they are boring

day 7:
- MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
- went to the Hana Ranch Restaurant and got a delicious burger
- went to Oheo Gulch. it was getting late so we didn't go up too far. saw 200ft waterfall.
dscn1167copy.jpg

- went to the pool at top of that waterfall and then swam up the river. swam through a few more pools and came across a secluded waterfall. swam around. this was AMAZING. there's no way to get to it without swimming so no pictures. awesome awesome.
- saw 2nd Banyan Tree
xdscn1171copy.jpg

- went down to the Sacred Pools. kinda cool area, pools overrated.
dscn1177copy.jpg
dscn1182copy.jpg

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
day 8:
- "trash day". helped bring old washers/dryers/fridges/appliances to junk yard.
- bonfire because someone was leaving. was fun. no pictures.

day 9:
- drove to some random Bamboo Forest, but stopped at a very random spot on the road and went hiking. saw these trees that were covered in REALLY thick moss. it was along the old Hana Hwy.
dscn1211copy.jpg

- beautiful. I dont know where we stopped but it was SO worth it
dscn1214copy.jpg

dscn1216copy.jpg

- eventually came to really secluded waterfall. you could swim up to and sit behind this waterfall. it was awesome. i had no pictures but friend with waterproof camera does. she will send them soon. will update with.
- hiked again to bamboo forest.
dscn1259copy.jpg
dscn1229copy.jpg

- got Shave Ice from Halfway to Hana. was delicious. get ice cream underneath.

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
day 10:
- went back to Oheo Gulch to go to 500ft waterfall
dscn1263copy.jpg
dscn1271copy.jpg
dscn1275copy.jpg

- left Oheo Gulch. drove to SECRET BEACH on the way back. apparently this beach is really secluded and not in any tour guides such as Maui Revealed. its not even on maps of the coast. you have to climb down like a 100ft cliff to get to it (rope there for help). its all black sand. the sand grains are just big enough to not get stuck to you but feel amazing on your feet. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
dscn1289copy.jpg
dscn1298copy.jpg
dscn1301copy.jpg
dscn0001copy.jpg

- I forgot to mention. to get to the cliff, you need to walk through a private cow field. EVERY single cow stares you down and follows you as you walk by. the cows will charge you. the bulls will charge you. you can't run anwyhere because you are on a cliff. scary shit.
dscn1326copy.jpg

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
day 11:
- drove to airport. picked up friend's brother.
- drove to Iao Valley. went to the normal tourist viewing area. hopped the tourist fence and went on really secluded trail. hiked up the trail to the top of the valley thing. very very cool view. not as high as I felt we hiked, though.
dscn1331copy.jpg
dscn1335copy.jpg
dscn1338copy.jpg
dscn1354copy.jpg

- drove to Lahaina. saw 3rd Banyan Tree
dscn1357copy.jpg
dscn1357copy.jpg
dscn1359copy.jpg

- walked around Lahaina. Went to pretty fancy steak and fish restaurant ($30 filet). was delicious.
dscn1360copy.jpg

- stopped at the side of the road and set up our tents. looked at stars. slept there.
dscn1378copy.jpg
dscn1379copy.jpg

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
day 12:
- rented Snorkle Gear. went to snorkle, but it was wavy and rough.
- went to Big Beach instead. nice drive. Big Beach was a nice change. it was a very typical beach. the sand was magnificient. lifegaurd stand. the waves were ROUGH. they were like 12-15 feet apparently. I was getting TOSSED. fun as hell though and nice to have a "beach day"
dscn1380copy.jpg
dscn1382copy.jpg

- chilled at a Marriott on their lawn chairs/got drinks
dscn1386copy.jpg
dscn1362copy.jpg

- drove up the Crater. Camped at about 7000 ft at a campground. No pictures unfortunately; was a nice place. bathrooms, grills, spicket. no showers/etc.

day 13:
- drove to the top of the Crater. was about 9000-10023 feet in the air. walked into/around the crater. was probably my favorite thing the entire trip. LOVED it. tiring hike, but worth it (7-10miles ish).
dscn1409copy.jpg
dscn1415copy.jpg
dscn1418copy.jpg
dscn1420copy.jpg

- saw some Silver Sword? plants. apparently they only grow at really high elevation. very cool/interesting

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
(continued)

dscn1427copy.jpg
dscn1436copy.jpg
dscn1446copy.jpg
dscn1450copy.jpg

- drove back down to the campground. made dinner. drove back to the summit to watch the sunset. VERY windy and VERY cold. we hid on this cliff wall thing and the wind was basically reduced to 0. great little spot. look for it. apparenly the building is some government military thing? star wars?
dscn1457copy.jpg
dscn1460copy.jpg
dscn1468copy.jpg
dscn1472copy.jpg
dscn1474copye.jpg

- watched stars come out. there's jupiter
dscn1485copy.jpg

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
day 14:
- drove around backside toward Lahaina, I think? BEAUTIFUL DRIVE. the road is really narrow at some points. stopping to let someone by is good though, take in the scenery.
dscn1525copy.jpg
dscn1531copy.jpg
dscn1533copy.jpg
dscn1538copy.jpg
dscn1549copy.jpg
dscn1550copy.jpg
dscn1551copy.jpg
dscn1553copy.jpg
dscn1555copy.jpg
dscn1557copy.jpg

- drove to Paia. got dinner/etc. and hung out there a bit.
- checked into a hostel. took MUCH needed shower. theres only so much the ocean can get off you.

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
day 15:
- woke up at the hostel. showered again. mmmmmmmmmm. got breakfast
- went to Paia's main beach.
dscn1566copy.jpg
dscn1570copy.jpg
dscn1571copy.jpg

- went to pretty much every single store in town
- went back to the beach
- chilled, got dinner
- took bus to airport.
- plane had 23 people on it. pretty big plane. got to lie down on the seats. slept.
dscn1577copy.jpg

day 16:
- 5 hours on the plane
- 8 hour layover, so we took cab to South Plaza Something Mall in California. very very big mall. kind of boring, but nice to see.
- cali weather sucked.
- 5 hours on another plane

day 1-10 is all in/around the Hana, Maui area
day 11-14 is in Lahaina/Kihei area and the crater (Haleakala)
day 15 was in Paia
day 16 was on airplanes/layovers/cali mall :(

MISC:
- here is what we lived in for 2 weeks (two of us):
dscn1230copy.jpg
. cheap borrowed tent. we forgot ours. worked very well.
- these guys hung around us a lot. very cool. didn't ever move really
dscn1329copy.jpg

NOTES:
- all of the pictures were scaled down to like 15% or something... if you want to see the full picture let me know
- taken with kinda crappy p&s camera. sorry. I REALLY would have liked to have my (d)SLR. or at least a camera that has shutter priority and other features. good quality, though.
- I took around 500 pictures. if you want to see more of any spot, I bet I have some more.
- we ate dinner out pretty much every night. I can recommend some spots if you want.
- Fred's breakfast was the best breakfast. really filling. the waitress didn't charge for coffee and gave us 2 for 1 coupons. bill should have been $60+ but was not even $30 for us all.
- we rented snorkel gear for 1 day. it was wavy. we talked to the snorkel people and they let us get another day free. that was nice.
- we drank at the campground no problems. that was awesome. buy beer.

AWESOME TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Scrolling through this, I was wondering when the amazing pics would end. Very nice, looks like you had fun!

MSCoder610

Aug 17, 2004
Very nice pics. An inflight magazine on a flight I was recently on had a big feature on Hawaii, looks like there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to do there.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Awesome trip, and very nice pics. Reminds me of when I was there back in the '90s.

I'd love to go back.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Good to see you had a great time. Nice photos. I can see right away it's very different from the Big Island. Next time we go to Hawaii we'll have to try one of the other islands. Though we had fantastic snorkeling on the Big Island.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
went to Big Beach instead. nice drive. Big Beach was a nice change. it was a very typical beach.

You forgot to mention your trip to Little Beach. I know you went there. I know.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm subscribing so I'll have a look at these with my LCD, I'm on my laptop now. Man, I recognize one of those shots that I'm almost sure is at Hana. When I lived on Maui (1970-73) I don't believe they had an airport in Hana. I dove there (that pic of black rocky shore) one time (snorkel) and caught some Menpachi (IIRC...Edit: I don't think they were Menapchi, which are red. They were silver, also primo eating, can't remember the name. Edit2: I think they were hole hole, pronounced "holy holy"). A rich girlfriend's dad had a house in Hana and I stayed a night. Most of the time there I lived in Paia (where I learned to dive for a living catching tako), a while in Makowao (a ways up the hill to Haleakala volcano, where I worked on the dairy). Great great times. Thanks for the pics and thread!

Last edited:

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
You were here for two weeks and you didn't say hi or buy me a beer? FAIL
ooo my bad :( you live in hana or just maui?

You forgot to mention your trip to Little Beach. I know you went there. I know.
we were actually going to go to little beach to watch some drummers or something but my the other person visiting (not my friend)'s wife didnt want him going to a nude beach or something. i didnt find out until later that little beach is like the gay capital or something

and ya muse some of those pictures are Hana. the airport seemed kinda new. it was really really small