Matthias Lanzinger's lower leg amputated after crash

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Link to video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=V28GKbLN3pE

Austrian skier Matthias Lanzinger's lower leg amputated after crash

17 hours ago

OSLO, Norway ? Austrian skier Matthias Lanzinger's lower left leg was amputated Tuesday because of complications from two broken bones in a crash at a World Cup race.

Lanzinger broke his shin and fibula Sunday during a super-G. The double fracture severely damaged blood vessels, hampering circulation in the 27-year-old skier's leg.

The Austrian ski federation said the surgery Monday night was only partly successful and left doctors no other option in an effort to avoid further risks.

"The circulation could not be stabilized," said doctor Thomas Hoelzenbein, who was flown in from Austria Monday to lead the operation.

Organizers of the race in Kvitfjell, Norway, were criticized because no medical helicopter was available. Lanzinger was flown to a hospital in Lillehammer in a tourist helicopter, and later was brought to Oslo.

"The lacking safety measures at these races are shocking," Austrian Chancellor Alfred Gusenbauer told the Austria Presse Agency on Tuesday. "I can't understand how a World Cup race could be organized at such a low safety level."

FIS general secretary Sarah Lewis said World Cup events are the responsibility of the hosting national federation.

"The race would not have gone ahead and started if it had not satisfied all the safety requirements in terms of netting, course setting and visibility," she said. "Medical supervision is the responsibility of the Norwegian organizing committee.

"Kvitfjell is a very reliable venue in terms of staging competitions ... it is close to a hospital and relatively close to the capital city."

Austrian ski federation president Peter Schroecksnadel said it was too early to apportion blame. Hans Pum, the federation's Alpine director, called for a discussion of safety at the World Cup circuit.

"We should clear this case soon and bring all relevant parties together to discuss speed, equipment and course preparation, as the safety and the health of the athletes come first," Pum said.

Lanzinger, who started 30th, crashed near the finish after hitting a gate. The race, won by teammate Georg Streitberger, was interrupted for more than 30 minutes.

Lanzinger's career best World Cup result was third at a super-G in Beaver Creek, Colo., in December 2005.

Link to article: http://canadianpress.google.co...n7he3tVYQUm4daNovnhTPw

Watching that video made me cringe like there was no tomorrow. It is extremely unfortunate that he had to lose part of his leg.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
There's another of a skier at one of those events who hit one of those gates with his crotch :(

This is sad news though...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yikes, on the first watch it didn't look to horrible. Then I watched the slow mo and saw his leg flopping at horrible angles.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
I didn't cringe as much as I did when I saw the kickboxer video. :(

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
hmm... he could probablystill compete in the paraolympics right?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Wow that was horrible. Even moreso that they couldn't get him to a hospital quicker.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
Yikes, on the first watch it didn't look to horrible. Then I watched the slow mo and saw his leg flopping at horrible angles.

yeah, i thought it looks like a fake body... which makes it even worse knowing it is real and your body is bending unnaturally.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mo0o
hmm... he could probablystill compete in the paraolympics right?

Let's hope he can compete in the regular Olympics. All the best to him during his recovery.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: KLin
Wow that was horrible. Even moreso that they couldn't get him to a hospital quicker.

Yeah, it sucks.

Thing is, it probably wouldn't have mattered. They should have had a heliopter though

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Originally posted by: KLin

Yeah, it sucks.

Thing is, it probably wouldn't have mattered. They should have had a heliopter though

The fact that there were no helicopters provided in case of such accidents is very surprising. Given the speeds these skiiers reach, one tiny slip and they go down in a heap. Hopefully they will learn from this mistake of theirs for future events.