Matt Damon as Lance Armstrong?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
From cyclingnews.com

Lance the movie

According to a Sky News report, actor Matt Damon could be picked to play Lance Armstrong in an upcoming movie, scheduled for release in 2006. Damon is in negotiations with producer Frank Marshall for the project.

I'm a fan and all, but my Spidey-sense tells me this is going to suck. :confused:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
If Matt Damon is suppose to be play a professional cyclist, then I'm qualified to play a sumo wrestler.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Why can't Lance play Lance?

I'm sure that would suck worse.

How could that suck worse? He doesn't have to learn how to play a role to be like Lance, he IS Lance.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Fausto
From cyclingnews.com

Lance the movie

According to a Sky News report, actor Matt Damon could be picked to play Lance Armstrong in an upcoming movie, scheduled for release in 2006. Damon is in negotiations with producer Frank Marshall for the project.

I'm a fan and all, but my Spidey-sense tells me this is going to suck. :confused:

I'm sorry this is going to drag him away from whatever-gay-serial-killers-who-ride-horses-and-like-to-play-golf-touchy-feely-picture
he's supposed to be doing this week. :p

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Encryptic
From cyclingnews.com

Lance the movie

I'm sorry this is going to drag him away from whatever-gay-serial-killers-who-ride-horses-and-like-to-play-golf-touchy-feely-picture

Jeez, give the guy a break! He IS Jason Bourne you know. :)

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Damon is way too big with way too wrong proportions to be playing Lance.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: DougK62

Thats what I was saying. Even if Damon starved himself, he'd just look like a sickly big guy. His frame type is just wrong.

Like me with the sumo wrestler. I have a tiny frame, I am physically incapable of becoming that fat even if I tried.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
From cyclingnews.com

Lance the movie

I take it you didn't see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, otherwise the reference wouldn't have gone in one ear and out the other. :p

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

And Elijah Wood was too big to play a hobbit. ;)

So basically they're just going to make a really huge bicycle and put Matt Damon on it to make him look smaller.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
From cyclingnews.com

Lance the movie

I take it you didn't see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, otherwise the reference wouldn't have gone in one ear and out the other. :p

Actually I did see it, but it was JASBSB that went in one ear and out the other. :)

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Damon did lose 20+ lbs for his role in courage under fire. It'd still put him a little over Lance's size, but not so much as to be horribly noticeable.

Regardless, I don't see a compelling reason to make this film, other than to cash in. I'd rather just see a documentary.

Rob

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Stolen from rec.bicycles.racing. :D

Other actors considered...
Some other thoughts:
Jan Ullrich = Willem Dafoe or maybe Rick Schroeder
Johan Bruyneel = Denzel Washington
Sheryl Crow = Catherine Mannheim
Kristin Armstrong = Ashley Judd
Jean-Marie Leblanc = Robert Deniro
Robin Williams = Ben Affleck

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike

And Elijah Wood was too big to play a hobbit. ;)

So basically they're just going to make a really huge bicycle and put Matt Damon on it to make him look smaller.

Could be!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Entity
Damon did lose 20+ lbs for his role in courage under fire. It'd still put him a little over Lance's size, but not so much as to be horribly noticeable.
Lance is actually pretty tall (about 5'11" IIRC) so Damon should look fine as long as they starve him. The real laugh will be watching him ride a bike. Someone who really doesn't spend much time in the saddle looks really awkward compared to a pro who basically lives there.

Of course, on the roadie dorks such as myself will notice this. :p

Regardless, I don't see a compelling reason to make this film, other than to cash in. I'd rather just see a documentary.
My sentiments exactly.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
What an awful movie idea.

Lance was in Dodgeball, I'm sure he could star in his own life story. :)