Math Question Redux!!!

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
alright, I have 2 VARIABLES A and B. A is a reward depending on much B is. B can be anywhere from 0.0 - 7.0. I have been given a few examples to use:

if B=0 then A=2.5
if B=1 then A=4
if B=2 then A=5

I was given those 3 examples, and I have to come up with the formula used to get the numbers in that example.

edited: FAHKin A I am out of it today........updated the table of values I was given

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Your wording says A is dependent on B, but the examples are the reverse. Which is it?

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
alright, I have 2 VARIABLES A and B. A is a reward depending on much B is. B can be anywhere from 0.0 - 7.0. I have been given a few examples to use:

if B=0 then A=2.5
if B=1 then A=4
if B=2 then A=5

I was given those 3 examples, and I have to come up with the formula used to get the numbers in that example.

edited: FAHKin A I am out of it today........updated the table of values I was given

Ummm... three systems of equations, two variables, A=f(B), second order polynomial FTW.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
And, my answer in the previous problem applies just as well here:

dependent variable = a*(independent variable)^2 + b*(independent variable) +c

plug in your dependent and independent variable into the equation for each point. You'll wind up with 3 equations and 3 unknowns a, b, and c. Solve for a, b, and c.

Sorry, you've gotta do some of the work :) (I assume this is a homework problem.)

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
ain't homework lol, if it was i wouldn't ask for help....I'd bash my head on the wall and shriek shrilly until i peed myself