math help

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
I did Calc A last year, and I'm in BC right now. I forgot a lot of stuff.

Here is the problem:

Lim (1) / ((x+4)^2)
x-> -4 from the left

I can't just plug it in, because the damn denominator becomes a zero. I don't think I'm allowed to use a Calculator. I can't find a way to algebraically simplify that, either.

What am I supposed to do? :(

Thanks in advance

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
How can you find out? Without a calculator, that is.

Informally, "1/0" goes to infinity. The only thing left is to find out if it's positive or negative infinity. Since it's a square on the bottom, it's always positive, so it's positive infinity.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
just think of it this way. what is 1/(0.0000000000001)? it's some huge number. Now make the denominator even smaller. The name is even bigger. So as you get close to zero in the denominator, you approach infinity.

It's known that 1/0 = infinity. You don't need to show work for that.

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: invidia
just think of it this way. what is 1/(0.0000000000001)? it's some huge number. Now make the denominator even smaller. The name is even bigger. So as you get close to zero in the denominator, you approach infinity.

1/0 is undefined....isn't it?

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007

I guess that makes sense. Thanks

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Stiganator

Yup, but the function 1/(x+4)^2 is defined everywhere except at the point x=-4, so you can find the value of the function at an infinitesimally small distance from x=-4. The smaller you make that infinitesimally small number, the bigger the function gets, so it can be said to "approach infinity".

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005

Not in calculus. ;)

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006

not in the quantum scale where all laws of classical physics and logic make no sense

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: frostedflakes

Not in calculus. ;)

Actually, in calculus, it IS undefined. You cannot divide by zero. Period. That 0 in the denominator is not actually zero. It *approaches* zero. It's never actually zero. If you were to graph the function in the OP, 0 is not in the domain.

OP: Another easy way to figure out the limit would be to sketch the graph of that function. Unfortunately, though, the two kinda go hand in hand. I spend weeks in pre-calculus teaching students how to sketch rational functions. (Graphing calculators pretty much forbidden during those two weeks.)