Maternal death rate isn't as bad if you don't count Black women, GOP senator says

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
He doesn’t know or doesn’t care? Either way the outcome is the same, his state’s residents suffer.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Read the article. His statements appear to be factual, and apparently the issue is nation wide. I had no idea that disparity existed.

• Wow
Reactions: pmv

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Read the article. His statements appear to be factual, and apparently the issue is nation wide. I had no idea that disparity existed.
No, if you read the article you would see they are not. While it is true that black women suffer a worse maternal death rate, even accounting for that Louisiana is still a third worse than the country average.

Although anyone who has been to Louisiana would not find this surprising. It’s basically a third world country.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
No, if you read the article you would see they are not. While it is true that black women suffer a worse maternal death rate, even accounting for that Louisiana is still a third worse than the country average.

Although anyone who has been to Louisiana would not find this surprising. It’s basically a third world country.
Article claimed four to one ratio in Louisiana, three to one national. That's all I'm going by.
I'm not sure why the senator stating that information is racist. His phrasing was borderline crass, and if accurate it needs to be looked at to determine why the disparity exists.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The redder the state, the lower the quality of maternal healthcare and it's magnified by race and income.

It's a feature not a bug. Education, housing, healthcare, voting rights/access, the list goes on quite a bit. Like women, those black folks need to know their place if they're in good ol boy country. They're already turning away women having miscarriages at Alabama hospitals.

Last edited:

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I mentioned this in the Roe vs. Wade thread. The US not only has the highest rate of maternal death of all the industrialized nations in the world, but we're also 2 to 3 times higher than nations like Canda and most of Europe. While the rates in all those other nations has been trending downward over the last 30 years, it recently started going up in the US. NPR had a show on this exact subject the other week and this massive disparity for black women. And it's not an economics/education problem either. A black woman with an advanced degree is still 2-3 times more likely to die during or just after pregnancy than a white woman with no high school diploma.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Article claimed four to one ratio in Louisiana, three to one national. That's all I'm going by.
I'm not sure why the senator stating that information is racist. His phrasing was borderline crass, and if accurate it needs to be looked at to determine why the disparity exists.
Why the fuck do you think it exists?!?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You're right on the cusp of discovering something you should have known for about half a century, I'm genuinely happy for that.

Mar 11, 2004
Why the fuck do you think it exists?!?

He knows, he's just ok with why. Plus, he doesn't actually care about the legitimate answers to any of the questions he puts forth, because he literally never takes any time to learn anything, he just injects whatever right wing moronic point he's given. But since its greenman, he can't go without proving just how stupid he is, like how he fails at pretty basic math. Apparently with conservatives you need to just start fabricating insane numbers (like the number of "babies murdered by abortion"). To him, 4 vs 3 isn't a big deal. Who cares, that's just one extra. Nevermind that's the ratio and shows that even if you did what the asshole Republican said and "normalize" for how much black women skew the numbers, it still doesn't explain why Louisiana sucks so bad.

All greenman cares about is that someone speaking his language is called racist and so he's got to stand up and defend the poor persecuted white men that keep saying/doing racist shit then wondering why people call them racist.

Reactions: iRONic and Meghan54

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
A black woman with an advanced degree is still 2-3 times more likely to die during or just after pregnancy than a white woman with no high school diploma.

That part is especially shocking to me. I was wondering what proportion of it is explained purely by income levels.

Also, to what extent does the Senator have it entirely back-to-front? That is, to what degree is it the case that the higher rate for black women is itself a function of geography, i.e. the state of health-care in the states, and areas, in which black people tend to reside?

If you control for income and geography, then whatever disparity remains is, presumably, explained by racism of a very direct form?

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

It's just completely and utterly tone-deaf, which keep in mind... politicians should generally be good at politicking. (Albeit, with the rise of Trump, there seems to be less to do with being crafty and more to do with being brash and boorish.) The problem is that you can't simply state that it isn't a problem ("isn't as bad") if you ignore the amount provided by black women. To tell a group that has been systematically marginalized throughout history that "our problem isn't so bad if we ignore you" is -- to be crass -- pretty fucked up.

Reactions: dank69 and ivwshane

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That part is especially shocking to me. I was wondering what proportion of it is explained purely by income levels.

Also, to what extent does the Senator have it entirely back-to-front? That is, to what degree is it the case that the higher rate for black women is itself a function of geography, i.e. the state of health-care in the states, and areas, in which black people tend to reside?

If you control for income and geography, then whatever disparity remains is, presumably, explained by racism of a very direct form?
There have been studies show that doctors take concerns and expressions of pain from persons of color less seriously than they do from white patients.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's just completely and utterly tone-deaf, which keep in mind... politicians should generally be good at politicking. (Albeit, with the rise of Trump, there seems to be less to do with being crafty and more to do with being brash and boorish.) The problem is that you can't simply state that it isn't a problem ("isn't as bad") if you ignore the amount provided by black women. To tell a group that has been systematically marginalized throughout history that "our problem isn't so bad if we ignore you" is -- to be crass -- pretty fucked up.
It read it as a qualifier rather than a race statement.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69
Mar 11, 2004
There have been studies show that doctors take concerns and expressions of pain from persons of color less seriously than they do from white patients.

You don't even need to go to that level. Just look at how Republicans still demonize black women as "welfare queens" among other blatant evidence showing their "what, how is it racist?!?" idiocy is just them trying to pretend to be too stupid to understand how this all explicitly points back to racism.

And then you'll have idiots like greenman going "its just facts" like facts showing racism is true somehow to him makes it either not true or not racist because facts "can't be racist" because his brain is so thoroughly fucked that it is incapable of understanding how facts can show racism, is not whatever moronic "bias" that in his mind gets turned into "facts are racist" because he doesn't understand basically any aspect of any of that. We know he doesn't understand what facts are as he regularly regurgitates the same nonsensical lies that he's even at times admitted aren't true but keeps trotting them back out because his brain learned something as information so to him that makes it an inmutable fact from that point on and he can't unlearn it or change (because again, to him facts can't "change" because his brain learned how to learn information in a fundamentally broken way).

It does help explain why he chooses to be stupid and why he has no interest in learning the actual answers to questions that he's clearly already made up his mind about.

Last edited:

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
It's just completely and utterly tone-deaf, which keep in mind... politicians should generally be good at politicking. (Albeit, with the rise of Trump, there seems to be less to do with being crafty and more to do with being brash and boorish.)

What makes you think it isn't intentional dog-whistling of his racism to whites?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What makes you think it isn't intentional dog-whistling of his racism to whites?

Because to people like greenman, you HAVE to give whites people the benefit of the doubt, especially to politicians who represent states that have a deep rooted history of racism. Makes total sense for someone who is willfully ignorant.

Reactions: dank69

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Holy shit Greenman! Your true colors are showing and it ain't green.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009