Masters Of Orion II: Battle At Antares

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I was having fun playing a +2 spying telepathic warlord +50 attack feudal repulsive (everyones hates me from spying anyway) race. The game keeps going black though (Windows XP sp2) : ( At first it happened at random after about 100 turns (quiting/loading fixed it for only a few turns after that). I disabled directdraw to try to fix it. Now, it doesn't do it at random (atleast not as much), but whenever I mouse over or sell a building it does it. Some of the buttons stay visible, but most of the screen is black. I already set compatibility mode. Anyone know how to fix this?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
I was having fun playing a +2 spying telepathic warlord +50 attack feudal repulsive (everyones hates me from spying anyway) race. The game keeps going black though (Windows XP sp2) : ( At first it happened at random after about 100 turns (quiting/loading fixed it for only a few turns after that). I disabled directdraw to try to fix it. Now, it doesn't do it at random (atleast not as much), but whenever I mouse over or sell a building it does it. Some of the buttons stay visible, but most of the screen is black. I already set compatibility mode. Anyone know how to fix this?

Yes, use Dosbox. All versions of MOO2 come with a dos mode which was far better programmed, so even emulating it in dosbox should work better (including internet play) than the Win95 version, which never worked all that well even under win95.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Fox5
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu

Yes, use Dosbox. All versions of MOO2 come with a dos mode which was far better programmed, so even emulating it in dosbox should work better (including internet play) than the Win95 version, which never worked all that well even under win95.

When I first went to play it I tried dosbox and still had the problem : ( I fixed it though. Set the compatibility to win NT and have been playing without a problem now.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Have you applied the patches for the game? If it's happening in dos mode through dosbox (latest version anyhow), it's likely a flaw within the game then. There's a 1.31 official patch, and then I think a 1.4 unofficial community patch.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Funny you should mention MOO 2. I just placed an order for it from Amazon for ~ $15. That along with MOO 1 and a slew of other games.

Moo1 is free on abandonia :confused:

I've been playing it off and on for months now :D

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Funny you should mention MOO 2. I just placed an order for it from Amazon for ~ $15. That along with MOO 1 and a slew of other games.

Moo1 is free on abandonia :confused:

I've been playing it off and on for months now :D

Moo1 and 2 are similar, but Moo2 had multiplayer (rarely used except by the most hardcore, it takes a specially designed race not to have turns of nothing early in the game, and turns start taking way too long later) and was packed full of more stuff. MOO2, once you tech all the way, essentially makes you all powerful, assuming you have the resources to back it.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens
I dont know why people keep getting hard-ons for DosBox.
I have the Win95 install of the game working just fine under XP Pro without Compatibility Mode enabled.
It works great. I only had occasional issues with crashing and that was after going dual-core.
Disabling one CPU for that game fixed the issue.

You must be the PC messiah or something, I got (literally) nothing but crashes every five minutes on the 95 version, but the DOS version "only" crashed once in what I would estimate to be about twelve to thirteen hours of play time this weekend. And, obviously, I like Moo2 better than Moo1 in almost every way.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Slightly off topic but Master of Orion 3 runs fine in Vista x64(playing it at the moment in case anybody is wondering).