Master of Orion II gets a patch after 20 years.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
But only for the Steam version:

Our unofficial, 2016-20 years MOO2 fan patch for the English DOS version.

This patch contains numerous bugfixes and improvements. It introduces a config file which allows you to customize the game in many ways. You can customize map generation, choose mods and change game rules, including parameters of buildings, weapons, technologies, and more. You don't need to write your own config to start playing, this patch comes with ORION2.CFG which already enables our preferred settings by default.

Highlights:
Fixes most known crashes, stalls and network synchronization errors. Fixes dozens of lesser bugs.

Config for easy game tweaking and enhanced modding. Supports multiple 1.50-based mods in one directory. In network games the host automatically broadcasts settings to clients, so differences in configs do not cause errors.

Three mapmods Goodmap3+, Orange+, ICE, and mapgen switches are built into the executable. No need to run an external map editor or use several executables to set custom map parameters.

Reduce micromanagement by uploading your custom build list in the Build Queue! In the file BUILD.CFG you can create a custom build order. Buildable buildings from that list will be uploaded in the Build Queue by pressing 'Q'.

Multiple interface improvements like usable map edge scroll in combat, additional interface shortcuts, custom behavior for the Clear button in Ship Design, improved tech review, etc.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
There is a new one you know? It is early access and == orion 1 .. I am enjoying it very much.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Nothing like going back to read code written 20 years ago, woohoo!

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Still one of the most fun games I have ever played. Thank you Dad for getting me into MoO, Civ, FM etc, beats going outside...

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Never mind the code.. The platform! That must be written i turbo c or turbo pascal .. on what? dos3.0 ?

Ah the memories!

One of the first games I wrote was a blackjack game in Turbo Pascal back in the day... ASCII FTW!

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The new one comes out on the 25th, I really hope they did a great job with it!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Steam version runs the DOS version of the game. But its the same install that came with the disc version, so includes a Win95 executable.
For a long time the Win95 version worked flawlessly, all the way up to Win7. Then I got a major update for something, (I forget what) and the Win95 version got all crazy.

Now I use the DOS version with DOSbox. It isnt perfect, but it functions.

The new Master of Orion just got a huge update and it will be finished soon. And it is fun.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
The DOS version is actually slightly better than Win95. The Win version would sometimes cut off music early or have a longer pause before it looped.

If the Steam version includes DOS, I'll be buying it PDQ! :p