massive temp jump after 6 mos of use..

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I have just started to get temp warnings from my system after about 6 mos. I applied new thermal paste, with no change. I also added a case fan, with a 1 degree improvement in cpu temp. (my alarm was set to 60, just started getting warnings today). I stopped my o/c, and am currently running at default speed. system specs in sig... (This is my p4 system w/ the problem..)

MBM5 temps
ITE8712F------------->77C
MAX1617-9---------->63C

Thoughts????
I was advised to ensure my hsf is securely connected, which it is.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Did you clean out the fins on the heatsink and the power supply? Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
As another brainstorm... ok, the heatsink is securely latched into the frame, but is the frame still firmly fastened to the motherboard? If one of the frame's fasteners broke, maybe the heatsink would no longer make firm, square contact with the CPU heatspreader due to the frame being able to pull away from the motherboard.

I know that probably isn't the answer, but I'm trying to think of reasons why the temperature would make a sharp jump in a short span of time. The other idea that comes to mind is that maybe the heatspreader has somehow lost contact with the CPU core underneath it all of a sudden.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Whats your room temp now? Has that changed drastically?

There is a direct correlation between room temp and CPU temp. If one goes up 10C then the other goes up 10C.

Are you using the stock heatsink? If so did you remove the TIM (metal pad with black thermal compound on both sides) from it before using thermal compound? Is your computer sitting in the sun? What is your case temp?

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
no significant change in room temp.

I am using the stock heatsink. I was originally using as it came. When my temps took the "mega- jump" up, I first checked that the fan was still running properly, then I checked to make sure all was properly secured. Then I commenced to removing the TIM and applying thermal paste directly to the CPU. I still am suffering from elevated temps. My system hasn't moved since I built it, and it is nicely protected from all outside elements in my desk.

I have no clue as to what has happened, and no releif in sight.

That and I do not have the funds to cross over to the P4P800/ P4C/ Dual channel that I want to jump to next.

:( :( :( :(