Massive records collection on Dem congressman, staff, and families by Trump DOJ

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Not only were their phone records, and email records collected, Apple and CNN were under gag orders up until recently not to tell about this.

Adam Schiff calls for investigation after report of his phone records being seized by Trump DOJ - POLITICO

Rep. Adam Schiff, chair of the House Intelligence Committee, called for an inspector general investigation of the Trump Justice Department on Thursday after a report said that his phone records, along with those of aides and another member of the committee, had been seized — what he condemned as a “terrible abuse of power.”

Reactions: Leeea

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Not only were their phone records, and email records collected, Apple and CNN were under gag orders up until recently not to tell about this.

Adam Schiff calls for investigation after report of his phone records being seized by Trump DOJ - POLITICO

Rep. Adam Schiff, chair of the House Intelligence Committee, called for an inspector general investigation of the Trump Justice Department on Thursday after a report said that his phone records, along with those of aides and another member of the committee, had been seized — what he condemned as a “terrible abuse of power.”
I'm old enough to remember when conservatives were outraged by the thought of the DOJ investigating their political opposition, even when that investigation was obviously highly warranted.

I can only assume conservatives will express similar outrage here. Does anyone have a link?

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I will say that I wouldn't expect Apple & CNN to comply with these subpoenas or shut up about it without a court order, so it must be stated that there was some cause to obtain them. That said, I don't believe for a second that the intent in this pursuit was anything other than abuse of power for political purpose.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Remember all that stuff about how the Obama administration was supposedly wiretapping Trump Tower and all that crap?

That was just Trump and the right projecting again. All along they were doing what they were falsely claiming others were doing to them.

Of course.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
You see, this was justified because they were saying mean things about Trump. Which, if you think about it, is pretty much the same thing as treason. Unlike inciting people to storm the Capitol to stop the Constitutionally mandated certification of the electoral ballots, which is just free speech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Remember all that stuff about how the Obama administration was supposedly wiretapping Trump Tower and all that crap?

That was just Trump and the right projecting again. All along they were doing what they were falsely claiming others were doing to them.

Of course.
Another interesting part of this is that it started in 2017. It's not like the Trump administration spent a few years doing other things and then came across something it felt the need to investigate - they started almost immediately.

Feb 4, 2009
Fuck it, bring it on.
Time for the Presidents justice department to see what is going on with Moscow Mitch, Teddy Cruze and of course we need to see what Matty Pedo Geatz & Ms Greene are up to.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I will say that I wouldn't expect Apple & CNN to comply with these subpoenas or shut up about it without a court order, so it must be stated that there was some cause to obtain them. That said, I don't believe for a second that the intent in this pursuit was anything other than abuse of power for political purpose.

Guess you don’t know the DOJ has the power to issue administrative subpoenas, without a court being involved at all. And while this type of subpoena doesn’t require judicial approval, they are very much judicially enforceable.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm so surprised. Barr claiming not to know anything.

Barr distances himself from subpoenas of Democratic lawmakers - POLITICO

Barr also said that while he was attorney general, he was “not aware of any congressman’s records being sought in a leak case.” He also said Trump never encouraged him to target the Democratic lawmakers in this case.

“He was not aware of who we were looking at in any of the cases,” he said. “I never discussed the leak cases with Trump. He didn’t really ask me any of the specifics.”

Don't ask, don't tell?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Barr also said that while he was attorney general, he was “not aware of any congressman’s records being sought in a leak case.” He also said Trump never encouraged him to target the Democratic lawmakers in this case.

“He was not aware of who we were looking at in any of the cases,” he said. “I never discussed the leak cases with Trump. He didn’t really ask me any of the specifics.”

Don't ask, don't tell?
I can believe that Trump never personally asked Barr to investigate anyone it’s not like he had to - he was speaking loudly to the entire country on a regular basis that these people should be investigated. They knew what he wanted!

That being said if Barr didn’t know that the DOJ was investigating high ranking members of Congress he is stunningly incompetent. Of course he knew.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Don't ask, don't tell?

I think the reporting I saw claimed Jeff Sessions gave the initial approvals but he was already gone by the time the subpoenas were actually enforced. Of course Barr knew about it.

Reactions: Pohemi

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You see, this was justified because they were saying mean things about Trump. Which, if you think about it, is pretty much the same thing as treason. Unlike inciting people to storm the Capitol to stop the Constitutionally mandated certification of the electoral ballots, which is just free speech.
I think this is exactly how Republicans see it, I believe and as follows: Almost inevitably children, in order to make sure they become well integrated into society, are subjected to intense pressure to conform to whatever the characteristics of a successfully integrated person are imagined to look like in their family and thus generally the local culture of which their parents are a part. In this way a successful Spartan would look quite different than a Tibetan monk.

In a degenerate Christian society where religion itself uses these same techniques either to profit the local Prophet, or to spread the diseased faith to increase it, all also in the name of the good, the fear of going to hell was introduced. By this means the fear of deviation from the rules of success become deeply repressive allowing people to be extremely bent. This results in Stockholm transformations, debauched rejection, or extreme antipathy to religious mind control. etc, none of which is very healthy for society.

Owing to the ingrained deep fear of deviance, the need for control become extreme leading to an authoritarian need to enforce the rules that provide the Stockholm victim with status and a personal sense of safety. Such people are governed by unconscious deeply repressed fear but imagine their actions all to be there and to be needed for the good. They are the fanatically certain, as those who in terror rejected that form of authoritarianism for their own fear of it and become the authoritarian left. This is my opinion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I would guess that 'some cause' could be 'the leaks' which would be easy to point to simply by Trump leaking himself.

Reactions: Pohemi

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Something else to think about--remember all those calls for Schiff's head that were coming from the Trump camp during both impeachment trials?? I do...

Well now we know they didn't have jack shit on Schiff otherwise they would've leaked like a marathon runner with a full colon. Schiff comes across like a pencil-neck boyscout because that's exactly who he is. Unimpeachable!

• Haha
Reactions: Leeea and esquared
Feb 4, 2009
If (when) conservatives pretend this isn't a big deal that means it's open season for the DOJ to seize every GOP politician's communications records.

Exactly and I hate to emulate these deplorable’s but that is how it MUST be played. Without pain they’ll simply do it again the second they get another deplorable President in office.
I say use it against them, hammer the shit out of them, their friends, family and neighbors. Do it so much that they return to the table to craft a sensible limit.