Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I won't pretend to know the full story of what went on here, but if this story is an accurate representation of the way this situation is being portrayed, being that a group of protesters looking to do no worse than exercise their right to free speech, then I'm forced to wonder how long it is before people start defending themselves when the police show up in this manner.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Taejin
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Originally posted by: TechAZ
I don't see a problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...Disobedience_(Thoreau)

Really? We will see you bitches in November.

:roll: In a modern society the need for free speech has been reduced to the point that it's more a disruption than a bulk ward of freedom. Frankly, I'm happy to see it go.

I will laugh my ass off if these guys actually tazer some St. Paul police at the convention though.

Nebor you are an idiot. I hope someone murders you for speaking your mind. Maybe then while you're laying in a growing pool of shit and piss you'll think 'damn..shouldn't have given up my right to free speech'.
Well that wasn't a very nice thing to say :Q

This has been going on for a long time. Happens across the country, blue states and red states. Started with the Reagan "drug wars", made a standard under Clinton's watch. I don't see it changing for some time until people REALLY start getting pissed off.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
The protesting is fine. The blocking traffic isn't, but they shouldn't be arrested until they actually do it.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
If the police can't provide a proper search warrant before entering the premises then they should be treated like criminal intruders.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
The protesting is fine. The blocking traffic isn't, but they shouldn't be arrested until they actually do it.

so true

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Not in the current groupthink of the rightwing- it's all about pre-emption, at home and abroad...

The whole thing was really handled very well here in Denver- none of the described tactics, at all. Police presence was very strong, and those who insisted on being arrested were, with a minimum of beat-downs...

The law enforcement guys were mostly quite friendly and relaxed, even to my 15 year old son checking out the scene downtown for no reason other than to be there....

Coupla minor bomb scares, and some addled neo-nazi meth heads arrested out in Aurora for saying stupid shit, having stolen guns and dope... they're not being charged beyond the gun and drug violations...

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: SleepWalkerX
If the police can't provide a proper search warrant before entering the premises then they should be treated like criminal intruders.

It would probably be a lot easier to just let it go to trial and have all the evidence get zapped as invalid.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
The thread title is severely misleading, I don' think anyone would consider these people protesters.

Arsonists is better fitting...

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com

Riiiiight, exercise your right to legally defend yourself from corrupt cops. Maybe if they were doing it on their own, but in these types of situations where the order is handed down. They will just kill you & never be held accountable.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Ough oh, thought crime. Hold'em in a free speech zone. Cant let 'em annoy the gatherings of the right and righteous.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
Ough oh, thought crime. Hold'em in a free speech zone. Cant let 'em annoy the gatherings of the right and righteous.

Where they can hold their bottles of piss, tasers, and paintball gear peacefully.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
http://www.startribune.com/loc...c:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

"On Saturday afternoon, he displayed a number of the confiscated items: a gun, throwing knives, a bow and arrows, flammable liquids, paint, slingshots, rocks and buckets of urine.

"We know these things were going to be used as weapons," Fletcher said, a charge protesters and their advocates vigorously disputed.

Fletcher however, stressed that he and other agencies had informants planted inside this and other groups for "a long period of time."

I don't see a problem

I see a problem, Agents and Informants giving training, materials, and leadership to these groups to justify their apprehension. The old sixties SOP all over again, if you cannot uncover a criminal create one.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007

"On Saturday afternoon, he displayed a number of the confiscated items: a gun, throwing knives, a bow and arrows, flammable liquids, paint, slingshots, rocks and buckets of urine.

"We know these things were going to be used as weapons," Fletcher said, a charge protesters and their advocates vigorously disputed.

Fletcher however, stressed that he and other agencies had informants planted inside this and other groups for "a long period of time."

I don't see a problem

I see a problem, Agents and Informants giving training, materials, and leadership to these groups to justify their apprehension. The old sixties SOP all over again, if you cannot uncover a criminal create one.

Oh, so the informants that were planted are the ones who turned this peace loving protest group into a publicly known anarchist group who posts videos on youtube and are very open about their intent and tactics. I see.

Let me guess, you hate cops?

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: nonameo

It would probably be a lot easier to just let it go to trial and have all the evidence get zapped as invalid.

Obviously your life is the most important thing to protect here so one should judge his actions accordingly before having their guns go a blazing. But if I heard that a cop was killed in one of these illegal raids I would not shed a tear. They know fully aware of the actions they are participating in.

Originally posted by: KlokWyze
Riiiiight, exercise your right to legally defend yourself from corrupt cops. Maybe if they were doing it on their own, but in these types of situations where the order is handed down. They will just kill you & never be held accountable.

It is our job to protect our rights and lives. And the police's actions will be held accountable, by running the risk of their lives for participating in criminal activities. Ultimately, its best to not have to resort to violence, but who do you turn to when you can't turn to the police to protect you?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Protest as in "peacefully assemble and show disapproval", I would support 100%, but anyone planning on "disruption" or other violence or intimidation should be arrested. Just because you don't like some political party does not give you the right to interfere with their peaceful convention. Don't like it? That's what the vote is for. Oh, and yes, I think the exact same thing of anyone who would want to disrupt the DNC. Idiots.

Funny how they are willing to destroy someone else's right to free speech to demonstrate the need to maintain free speech....
:thumbsup:

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

I don't see a problem

Oh, so the informants that were planted are the ones who turned this peace loving protest group into a publicly known anarchist group who posts videos on youtube and are very open about their intent and tactics. I see.

Let me guess, you hate cops?

*Cackles* Not that someone of your "caliber" will care, but that kind of shit has happened SO many times before, it's unbelievable.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Do I understand this situation correctly? We basically have individuals who may have had malicious intent but had not committed a crime. Riot gear police raid their homes and arrest them and find knives, guns & piss. None of that which was mentioned carried any charge. So now do we have a pre-emption police? Since when can they raid/imprison you before a crime had been committed? :confused:

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Ah, the liberal mind. They tout their bullshit "freedoms" then work as hard as they can to stifle any dissention to their ideas of freedom. Freedom of speech? You bet, long as you arent speaking against them!

I hope to hear of some hippies that got the rubber bullets.

How DARE they protest against liars representing our nation as a nation of murderers! :eek:

Let's shoot them with "less than deadly force" rubber bullets and get a hard-on from it!

Isn't there a despot you could be giving head to, right now? Quit posting while you're behind.

Speaking of giving head, it's amazing you stopped fellating Obama long enough to post.

So you think it's ok for these hippies to be able to take violent actions in their protest?

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Another article about the "RNC Welcoming Committee"
They were 1 of about 6 houses raided.

In a statement Saturday morning, Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher said the St. Paul raid targeted the RNC Welcoming Committee, a group he described as "a criminal enterprise made up of 35 self-described anarchists...intent on committing criminal acts before and during the Republican National Convention."
=============================================
Gotta love the shit they make up.

Everyone is a "criminal".

Gotta love the shit you come up with in that no one is capable of doing wrong unless there is an R next to their name.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Ah, the liberal mind. They tout their bullshit "freedoms" then work as hard as they can to stifle any dissention to their ideas of freedom. Freedom of speech? You bet, long as you arent speaking against them!

I hope to hear of some hippies that got the rubber bullets.

How DARE they protest against liars representing our nation as a nation of murderers! :eek:

Let's shoot them with "less than deadly force" rubber bullets and get a hard-on from it!

Isn't there a despot you could be giving head to, right now? Quit posting while you're behind.

Speaking of giving head, it's amazing you stopped fellating Obama long enough to post.

So you think it's ok for these hippies to be able to take violent actions in their protest?

I think it's more along the lines (much like foreign policy to them) of "wait until something happens no matter how bad it will be, then take action".

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: child of wonder
I won't pretend to know the full story of what went on here, but if this story is an accurate representation of the way this situation is being portrayed, being that a group of protesters looking to do no worse than exercise their right to free speech, then I'm forced to wonder how long it is before people start defending themselves when the police show up in this manner.

Ha a news story actually portraying the truth???
They aren't looking to exercise their right to freedom of speech. Freedom of Speech allows you to Peaceably Assemble. Not plan to disrupt and act out violently against law abiding persons.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its early in the game. So we have a few nuts committing violence, the bulk of the protesters are marching peacefully.

It becomes a big story when the cops quit acting responsibly or the bulk of the protesters start really baiting the police.