Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Text
Protesters here in Minneapolis have been targeted by a series of highly intimidating, sweeping police raids across the city, involving teams of 25-30 officers in riot gear, with semi-automatic weapons drawn, entering homes of those suspected of planning protests, handcuffing and forcing them to lay on the floor, while law enforcement officers searched the homes, seizing computers, journals, and political pamphlets. Last night, members of the St. Paul police department and the Ramsey County sheriff's department handcuffed, photographed and detained dozens of people meeting at a public venue to plan a demonstration, charging them with no crime other than "fire code violations," and early this morning, the Sheriff's department sent teams of officers into at least four Minneapolis area homes where suspected protesters were staying.

So they raided malnourished groups of hippies who were conspiring to commit peaceful acts of free speech? What were they so afraid of? I know for a fact that I could kill 10 or 12 hippies before the smell overwhelmed me.

Added for context:
Link to website of one of the "RNC Welcoming Committee", one of the raided groups
On the penultimate day of the pReNC, a national planning consulta a year in advance of the Republican National Convention, over a hundred anti-authoritarians from around the country gathered to distill a formal strategy for disrupting the convention. Smaller working groups focused on nationwide communications, food/medical/legal infrastructure, media, coalition building, and action planning. Pouring over maps, timetables, and photographs of the city, the action working group hammered out this plan.

On the first day of the convention, participants will employ a three-tiered direct action strategy to disrupt the RNC. The tiers are organized in order of priority according to the number of participants; if a small number of participants show up, only the first tier will be carried out, but if the numbers are on hand, all three tiers will be in effect.

Tier One: Establish 15-20 blockades, utilizing a diversity of tactics, creating an inner and outer ring around St. Paul?s Excel Center, where the RNC is to take place.

Tier Two: Immobilize the delegates? transportation infrastructure, including the busses that are to convey them.

Tier Three: Block the five western bridges connecting the Twin Cities.

Anarchists fuckin suck at formatting. Go figure.

Another article about the "RNC Welcoming Committee"
They were 1 of about 6 houses raided.

Also, check out this sweet botched police raid map.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Added for context:
Link to website of one of the "RNC Welcoming Committee", one of the raided groups
THE STRATEGY On the penultimate day of the ?pReNC,? a national planning consulta a year in advance of the Republican National Convention, over a hundred anti-authoritarians from around the country gathered to distill a formal strategy for disrupting the convention. Smaller working groups focused on nationwide communications, food/medical/legal infrastructure, media, coalition building, and action planning. Pouring over maps, timetables, and photographs of the city, the action working group hammered out this plan.On the first day of the convention, participants will employ a three-tiered direct action strategy to disrupt the RNC. The tiers are organized in order of priority according to the number of participants; if a small number of participants show up, only the first tier will be carried out, but if the numbers are on hand, all three tiers will be in effect. Tier One: Establish 15-20 blockades, utilizing a diversity of tactics, creating an inner and outer ring around St. Paul?s Excel Center, where the RNC is to take place. Tier Two: Immobilize the delegates? transportation infrastructure, including the busses that are to convey them. Tier Three: Block the five western bridges connecting the Twin Cities.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
http://www.startribune.com/loc...c:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

"On Saturday afternoon, he displayed a number of the confiscated items: a gun, throwing knives, a bow and arrows, flammable liquids, paint, slingshots, rocks and buckets of urine.

"We know these things were going to be used as weapons," Fletcher said, a charge protesters and their advocates vigorously disputed.

Fletcher however, stressed that he and other agencies had informants planted inside this and other groups for "a long period of time."

I don't see a problem

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Text
Protesters here in Minneapolis have been targeted by a series of highly intimidating, sweeping police raids across the city, involving teams of 25-30 officers in riot gear, with semi-automatic weapons drawn, entering homes of those suspected of planning protests, handcuffing and forcing them to lay on the floor, while law enforcement officers searched the homes, seizing computers, journals, and political pamphlets. Last night, members of the St. Paul police department and the Ramsey County sheriff's department handcuffed, photographed and detained dozens of people meeting at a public venue to plan a demonstration, charging them with no crime other than "fire code violations," and early this morning, the Sheriff's department sent teams of officers into at least four Minneapolis area homes where suspected protesters were staying.

So they raided malnourished groups of hippies who were conspiring to commit peaceful acts of free speech? What were they so afraid of? I know for a fact that I could kill 10 or 12 hippies before the smell overwhelmed me.

:laugh: All while taking their video cameras and taping them getting their asses beat and putting it on youtube

May 16, 2000
No problem...as soon as they break in the wrong door and 3 or 4 get themselves killed doing this crap, it'll stop. You can only push the people so far before they push back; and there's more of us and we do it because we believe in it, not because it's how we collect our meager paychecks.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
No problem...as soon as they break in the wrong door and 3 or 4 get themselves killed doing this crap, it'll stop. You can only push the people so far before they push back; and there's more of us and we do it because we believe in it, not because it's how we collect our meager paychecks.

Who's this "we" keyboard commando? That group is goading police into an incident for publicity, not the other way around. If you are part of an anarchist group set to disrupt a convention and get caught with jugs of piss and paintballs while publicly preparing for it.....expect to get a visit.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

This one's rough. The gun nuts and the pot smoker should unite on this one.

January 18, 2008?VA

Det. Jarrod Shivers, 34, was shot and killed serving a drug warrant on the home of Ryan Frederick, 28, who was suspected of growing marijuana. Frederick claims he did not know the police were raiding his home and shot before the police identified themselves. Frederick?s home had been burglarized within the previous week.

Frederick has been charged with first-degree murder and use of a firearm in commission of a felony. There was a small amount of marijuana and a water-pipe seized by the police, but there was no evidence that Frederick was growing anything but perfectly legal plants.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Originally posted by: TechAZ
I don't see a problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...Disobedience_(Thoreau)

Really? We will see you bitches in November.

:roll: In a modern society the need for free speech has been reduced to the point that it's more a disruption than a bulk ward of freedom. Frankly, I'm happy to see it go.

I will laugh my ass off if these guys actually tazer some St. Paul police at the convention though.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor
I don't see a problem

:roll: In a modern society the need for free speech has been reduced to the point that it's more a disruption than a bulk ward of freedom. Frankly, I'm happy to see it go.

I will laugh my ass off if these guys actually tazer some St. Paul police at the convention though.

Bulk ward, huh? Is that like an alternator-sized amount of ward?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I don't see a problem

Bulk ward, huh? Is that like an alternator-sized amount of ward?

It is in fact. :laugh:

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, they got some real pigs over there.

Don't worry though, the real protest is safe and still coming. :D

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Ah, the liberal mind. They tout their bullshit "freedoms" then work as hard as they can to stifle any dissention to their ideas of freedom. Freedom of speech? You bet, long as you arent speaking against them!

I hope to hear of some hippies that got the rubber bullets.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Ah, the liberal mind. They tout their bullshit "freedoms" then work as hard as they can to stifle any dissention to their ideas of freedom. Freedom of speech? You bet, long as you arent speaking against them!

I hope to hear of some hippies that got the rubber bullets.

How DARE they protest against liars representing our nation as a nation of murderers! :eek:

Let's shoot them with "less than deadly force" rubber bullets and get a hard-on from it!

Isn't there a despot you could be giving head to, right now? Quit posting while you're behind.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
http://www.startribune.com/loc...c:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

"On Saturday afternoon, he displayed a number of the confiscated items: a gun, throwing knives, a bow and arrows, flammable liquids, paint, slingshots, rocks and buckets of urine.

"We know these things were going to be used as weapons," Fletcher said, a charge protesters and their advocates vigorously disputed.

Fletcher however, stressed that he and other agencies had informants planted inside this and other groups for "a long period of time."

I don't see a problem

heh I hope they didn't infiltrate my grandmothers knitting club :laugh:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Another article about the "RNC Welcoming Committee"
They were 1 of about 6 houses raided.

In a statement Saturday morning, Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher said the St. Paul raid targeted the RNC Welcoming Committee, a group he described as "a criminal enterprise made up of 35 self-described anarchists...intent on committing criminal acts before and during the Republican National Convention."
=============================================
Gotta love the shit they make up.

Everyone is a "criminal".

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Protest as in "peacefully assemble and show disapproval", I would support 100%, but anyone planning on "disruption" or other violence or intimidation should be arrested. Just because you don't like some political party does not give you the right to interfere with their peaceful convention. Don't like it? That's what the vote is for. Oh, and yes, I think the exact same thing of anyone who would want to disrupt the DNC. Idiots.

Funny how they are willing to destroy someone else's right to free speech to demonstrate the need to maintain free speech....

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
I don't see a problem

Nebor you are an idiot. I hope someone murders you for speaking your mind. Maybe then while you're laying in a growing pool of shit and piss you'll think 'damn..shouldn't have given up my right to free speech'.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Taejin
I don't see a problem

Nebor you are an idiot. I hope someone murders you for speaking your mind. Maybe then while you're laying in a growing pool of shit and piss you'll think 'damn..shouldn't have given up my right to free speech'.

But I don't speak my mind. I just parrot party approved talking points.