Massive Explosion in Beirut Lebanon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Ground zero after and before the explosion. Its quite clear from the crater which depot contained the ammonium nitrate.

Amazing amount of damage.
zu21F0z.jpg

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
zu21F0z.jpg

WOW: it's a lot worse than i imagined it would be.

If what was being said is true and that area has a lot of residents, than it will be a miracle if the death toll doesn't end up crossing 1K.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
WOW: it's a lot worse than i imagined it would be.

If what was being said is true and that area has a lot of residents, than it will be a miracle if the death toll doesn't end up crossing 1K.
You know seeing this angle it occurs to me in that stack of videos I linked to on the first page, there’s one from the flat top building attached to the silos across the street. :oops:

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
You know seeing this angle it occurs to me in that stack of videos I linked to on the first page, there’s one from the flat top building attached to the silos across the street. :oops:

About that:

Screenshot from 2020-08-05 14-11-24.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-05 14-14-39.png

Dunno if it's because of my location (Portugal) but i can't see them. Any chance of a repost?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate stored for 6 years is the culprit. By my calculation that’s around 1.2 kilotons. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Explosive yields are given in tons of TNT, meaning you can't translate tons of ammonium nitrate directly into an explosive yield without applying an equivalence modifier. According to this, 2750 tons of a-n is equivalent to 1800 tons of TNT, or 1.8 kilotons. Still quite a large yield.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Just another mouth hemorrhage from Herr DumpsterFire.

Remember when presidents used to choose their words carefully? Because they were important and carried diplomatic weight? I miss those days.

Israel has got to be pissed at him for talking out his ass. It could literally start a war.

Jan 25, 2011
Explosive yields are given in tons of TNT, meaning you can't translate tons of ammonium nitrate directly into an explosive yield without applying an equivalence modifier. According to this, 2750 tons of a-n is equivalent to 1800 tons of TNT, or 1.8 kilotons. Still quite a large yield.
Explosive yields are relative to how many kg of TNT would be required. With ammonium nitrate there is an RE Factor of 0.42. so 2.38 kg per 1 kg of TNT required. There was approx 2.5 million kgs of ammonium nitrate in that building by reports. that would translate to `1 kiloton. just slightly above. Not sure what the 1800 is based off of unless there's another relative effectiveness number out there. I'm using the US Army RE factor.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Explosive yields are relative to how many kg of TNT would be required. With ammonium nitrate there is an RE Factor of 0.42. so 2.38 kg per 1 kg of TNT required. There was approx 2.5 million kgs of ammonium nitrate in that building by reports. that would translate to `1 kiloton. just slightly above. Not sure what the 1800 is based off of unless there's another relative effectiveness number out there. I'm using the US Army RE factor.

Yeah, googled it and that checks out. I too am not sure where the higher ratio comes from in that article I posted.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
The entire building which housed the ammonium nitrate is gone entirely, and all of the ground the building stood on is also gone.

Jeeessshhh.... I've never seen anything quite like this before I think.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The entire building which housed the ammonium nitrate is gone entirely, and all of the ground the building stood on is also gone.

Jeeessshhh.... I've never seen anything quite like this before I think.

I checked the 2015 China explosions for comparison, because those were pretty damn awful. It was two explosions and the larger of the two was 800 tons of ammonium nitrate. So this one is a lot worse as a matter of explosive yield than those two combined. However, casualty estimates between the two are pretty similar.

So far the death toll in Beirut is 135 but still mounting.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Remember when presidents used to choose their words carefully? Because they were important and carried diplomatic weight? I miss those days.

Israel has got to be pissed at him for talking out his ass. It could literally start a war.
But we have deplorable Trump dick suckers here who constantly tell us it doesn't matter what Trump says

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
This is a movie of a wedding as the explosion happened. SCARY! Be ready for the noise.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

The only reason Trump hasn't started a war just by running his mouth is because everyone already knows to expect whatever he says is a bunch of bullshit.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

It's amazing how he manages to get things so consistently wrong, even when there's no political benefit in it for him, or obvious reason for bias. Presumably, owing to his being somewhat old and confused, he got the wrong end of the stick in whatever briefing he got from those 'generals' and was too full of his own importance to ask for clarification of any of it before sounding off.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
How on earth did they managed to put out this video? @ that distance ... DAMN ...
Yeah, how could they not get pulverized by the shockwave at almost point-blank range?

Or, hell, even survive at all. I've looked at the aftermath pics, it seems like the building that person stood on collapsed completely. They could have fallen to their death in the collapse or been crushed by rubble. It's amazing.

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, how could they not get pulverized by the shockwave at almost point-blank range?

Or, hell, even survive at all. I've looked at the aftermath pics, it seems like the building that person stood on collapsed completely. They could have fallen to their death in the collapse or been crushed by rubble. It's amazing.
I think that was one of the earlier smaller explosions at the fireworks factory. It looks like it was before things really got cooking. I’m guessing they got the fudge out of there before the big one went off.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
I’m guessing they got the fudge out of there before the big one went off.
Ah, right. Yeah, that makes sense! I've not seen any specifically labelled video material of the alleged initial smaller explosion(s). Maybe because nobody else with a camera was close enough? :)