Massive Explosion in Beirut Lebanon

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Q2sOKOG.mp4

Looks real. My guess industrial accident at the port.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...s-lebanon-capital-beirut-200804153400078.html
Edit: CNN says fireworks warehouse.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
That shock wave!
Seriously.

Looks like the fire was burning for awhile before it exploded. I hope they evacuated because anyone near that explosion was just done.

Makes me wonder whether some regulations weren’t followed or enforced to allow an explosion that large.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It may have started as an industrial fire, but I think somebodies weapon stock pile went up with it. Or an awful lot of fertilizer happened to be there. Looks like the grain elevators are still standing for the most part.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
One more. This was was closer. It looks like you can see firecrackers going off in the fire.
ybf4DZE.mp4

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
It may have started as an industrial fire, but I think somebodies weapon stock pile went up with it. Or an awful lot of fertilizer happened to be there. Looks like the grain elevators are still standing for the most part.
Chemist on Twitter speculated it was an ammonium nitrate explosion, based on the color (and behavior much like earlier fertilizer incidents, like West, Texas or Galveston)

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Chemist on Twitter speculated it was an ammonium nitrate explosion, based on the color (and behavior much like earlier fertilizer incidents, like West, Texas or Galveston)
Yup. 2300 tons of ammonium nitrate blew on a ship in Galveston harbor. There’s an anchor thrown over mile that’s now a monument to the accident.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yea, the color of the smoke tells you everything That nitrate brown/orange tint is tell tale.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Yea, the color of the smoke tells you everything That nitrate brown/orange tint is tell tale.

Saw some unsubstantiated reporting from a Lebanese army source that the original fire was caused by fireworks which then engulfed a nearby industrial warehouse storing.... nitrate

Dec 10, 2005
Saw some unsubstantiated reporting from a Lebanese army source that the original fire was caused by fireworks which then engulfed a nearby industrial warehouse storing.... nitrate
When are we going to learn to stop storing large amounts of nitrates a) next to other flammable items, and b) adjacent to where a lot of people live? I know it's a port, but that kind of stuff shouldn't be kept there long term.

Jan 25, 2011
When are we going to learn to stop storing large amounts of nitrates a) next to other flammable items, and b) adjacent to where a lot of people live? I know it's a port, but that kind of stuff shouldn't be kept there long term.
Apparently this was nitrate and other chemicals that were seized years ago. Just sitting there. May not have even been originally designed for this kind of material storage.

Dec 10, 2005
Apparently this was nitrate and other chemicals that were seized years ago. Just sitting there. May not have even been originally designed for this kind of material storage.
Yeah, I understand that it was seized. But it still should be properly dealt with. It's not like humanity doesn't understand the risks involved in storing nitrates improperly.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
:( The people of Lebanon and Beirut have really suffered enough, with 15 years of civil war and then ongoing strife and corruption. Very saddening to see this happen today.

I'd say I hope everybody's OK, but it's clear from what little I've read and seen in the news of this that lots of people are not. Very very saddening!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
anyone know approximately how powerful the blast was in reference to TNT?

OMG! ... looked like something out of a movie. Horrible tragedy.

It looked like something out from a Call of Duty campaign, especially with the location.

Really terrifying when you realize its real life.