Massive Challice kickstarter

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Kind of hoped they would release the first game to see if they can do a good job.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
While I watched the video, the ticker went up by almost $10k.

Then I put my $20 in. I suspect they should be working on their stretch goals doc, if it's not already done :p

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
They made MILLIONS more from their last Kickstarter than they claimed to have needed. And what do we have... a minute-long trailer and a picture of a hipster lumberjack. Now they need MORE money? How about using some of the leftovers from the last one?

Absolutely ridiculous. This is the reason why I will never donate to a Kickstarter project, ever.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I need to see some game play before pledging. The only game I felt comfortable pledging to without even a thought was Project Eternity.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
They made MILLIONS more from their last Kickstarter than they claimed to have needed. And what do we have... a minute-long trailer and a picture of a hipster lumberjack. Now they need MORE money? How about using some of the leftovers from the last one?

Absolutely ridiculous. This is the reason why I will never donate to a Kickstarter project, ever.

Patronage is not about getting a specific work of art done, it is about keeping the artist(s) working on art instead of looking for where their next meal is coming from.

I need to see some game play before pledging. The only game I felt comfortable pledging to without even a thought was Project Eternity.

But, I agree with this too. We need to see some of the finished work if they wish to keep our patronage. We need proof they can handle making one really good game before we entrust them with 2 or 3 concurrent games.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Actually, using money donated for one game for a different one would be a violation of the trust of the donors, if not the rules.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Actually, using money donated for one game for a different one would be a violation of the trust of the donors, if not the rules.

So you really think they're going to make sure that Broken Age costs exactly $3.3 million to make, no more no less?

They're a company, they have operating costs. It's not like they just shovel money into a machine until a game pops out. They made an assload of money from their last Kickstarter, 8x more than they claimed they needed. You can bet that'll go into all sorts of things not directly related to their first game.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So you really think they're going to make sure that Broken Age costs exactly $3.3 million to make, no more no less?

They're a company, they have operating costs. It's not like they just shovel money into a machine until a game pops out. They made an assload of money from their last Kickstarter, 8x more than they claimed they needed. You can bet that'll go into all sorts of things not directly related to their first game.

That's how business generally works, but the kickstarter model raises more issues around their using the money for whatever they want.

It's not black and white, because the people who donate are getting whatever the benefit offers in exchange, so it seems like a gray area.

I'm not sure what the kickstarter rules say.

It's also a gray area with things like stretch goals - when you see 'for another $100,000 we'll add a fifth playable race' - where it seems that won't cost them nearly $100,000.

But it does sort of tie the donations to the game development budget.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The game sounds interesting. Take Crusader Kings. Add a Game of Thrones style storyline and world. Then add turn based combat. Sounds good. I may drop $20 on it. I'll watch it for a while first though.

Deathray2K

Jun 14, 2005

Actually it's sort of the other way around. Sure they made more than they asked for, but that just meant they could broaden the scope of the design, which they did. Now they're actually estimating they're over budget on their design and working on reducing the scope (again) on Broken Age, plus funnelling money from their other sources into it (Like profits from Brutal Legend PC). So no, they don't have extra money to throw behind another game. Games are expensive to make, surprise surprise.

I backed Broken Age, and it's already been more than worth it for all the fascinating behind the scenes making-of content, let alone the game itself.
I've been thinking about backing Massive Chalice, I can't say that HD versions of publicly released videos (Or the rest of the $50 tier) are worth $30 more than the game alone. I would've liked to see a price point between $20 and $50 really.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

You should watch their video on the OP's link to the kickstarter page. It opens with DF making fun of DF for the very thing you are complaining about.