mass, velocity and gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
probably a stupid question but dead in work so figured i'd ask :cool:

the amount of mass dictates an objects gravity no? if you compare something with the mass of a moon (like a moon i guess :whiste: ) with a grain of sand then the moon wins out but if the grain of sand kept going faster and faster then at some point would its mass increase to a point that it would have the same gravitational pull as the moon? (ignoring that if it was moving that fast it would be zipping by things too quickly to really affect them?) :confused:

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
probably a stupid question but dead in work so figured i'd ask :cool:

the amount of mass dictates an objects gravity no? if you compare something with the mass of a moon (like a moon i guess :whiste: ) with a grain of sand then the moon wins out but if the grain of sand kept going faster and faster then at some point would its mass increase to a point that it would have the same gravitational pull as the moon? (ignoring that if it was moving that fast it would be zipping by things too quickly to really affect them?) :confused:

Mass doesn't increase as speed does. A fast moving grain of sand has the same mass as a non-moving grain of sand. Go actually learn about special relativity and you'll understand more.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
As the grain of sand moves faster the force it would create upon hitting something and having a large negative acceleration would be larger but that force would not be gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.