Mass Shooting at Dark Knight Rises Premier in Aurora Colorado (12 Dead, 59 Injured)

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I thought the AR15 was a semi-automatic? He had to have been doing some aiming for the death count to have been as high as it was in the relative short span of the incident.
Yeah the AR is semi-auto, why do you ask? and pardon the comparison but when you're shooting fish in a barrel, especially a barrel packed full of fish side by side almost, aiming isn't exactly required
So am I. A few people interviewed mused that it might have been because he'd only been able to get a job at a McDonalds. Possible but doubtful. That's be a whole lot of overkill <pun unintended> for the chaos and death caused. It was a factor but based on what we've seen, plus his appearance in court; there's more going on underneath his bright red hair.
I don't put any stock in it being his job prospects either, not that his actions are rational in any way but I just can't believe that...

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
The photo below is of a Ruger Mini-14. Like an AR-15, it is a semi-automatic that shoots .223, same as the AR-15. You can buy extended magazines as well, and other accessories. Why you are singling out the AR-15?

Also, as soon as I heard the shooter in Aurora had a 100 round magazine, I was shocked it did not jam. Well, apparently it did jam. Those 100 round mags for the "tacticool" crowd, not serious shooters as they are jam queens. There is a reason the military does not use them, favoring the reliable 10, 15, and 20 round mags.

So many are erroneously calling the AR-15 an assault rifle. If you think the AR-15 is indeed an assault rifle, wouldn't the Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle pictured below also be one? Or not, because it has a wood stock and is not all black? :rolleyes:

ruger-mini-14.jpg

So there is a loophole/contradiction in the law.

So what? the law is meant as a mild measure that both bans military-style weapons and preserves the privileges of gun owners.

It would be far simpler to eliminate the "loopholes" you so gleefully cite: ban the manufacture and sale of semi-automatic weapons. Each bullet has to be reloaded by hand.

Feb 10, 2000
glock 22 or 23, al li can find is 40cal, the 20 is 10mm which almost no one uses because its stupid

You're right - I was confusing the 20 and 22. Personally I don't see the point of .40 either when .45 is readily available, but to each his own . . .

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006

So what? the law is meant as a mild measure that both bans military-style weapons and preserves the privileges of gun owners.

It would be far simpler to eliminate the "loopholes" you so gleefully cite: ban the manufacture and sale of semi-automatic weapons. Each bullet has to be reloaded by hand.
It was neither a "loophole" nor "contradiction" in the law...the law was a morons attempt at feel good legislation aimed at slowly eroding our rights as guaranteed by the constitution for absolutely no reason at all...if you want to ban guns then by all means go for it, all it takes is a little tiny change to our constitution, just a couple of sentences actually...go for it tough guy;)
You're right - I was confusing the 20 and 22. Personally I don't see the point of .40 either when .45 is readily available, but to each his own . . .
Most people feel the same, hence the 10mm is not very popular...but some new calibers are making headway like the FN 5.7, and I'm hoping to get my hands on a .22 TCM if I can find one anywhere

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Yeah the AR is semi-auto, why do you ask? and pardon the comparison but when you're shooting fish in a barrel, especially a barrel packed full of fish side by side almost, aiming isn't exactly required

I don't put any stock in it being his job prospects either, not that his actions are rational in any way but I just can't believe that...

He had thrown a smoke bomb; I figured it would be hard for him to see as well as the movie audience.

I asked about semi-auto because if he were "spraying" in the smoke there may have been less carnage. A lot of the audience got down on the floor within seconds of the first shots; granted he was going for greatest number killed but he would still have to aim somewhat to make sure he was hitting the mark.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
He had thrown a smoke bomb; I figured it would be hard for him to see as well as the movie audience.

I asked about semi-auto because if he were "spraying" in the smoke there may have been less carnage. A lot of the audience got down on the floor within seconds of the first shots; granted he was going for greatest number killed but he would still have to aim somewhat to make sure he was hitting the mark.
More people ran than ducked...so aiming for the exits in general is all he needed to do, somehow I don't think marksmanship was anything he ever even attempted, which would be why he brought such an idiotic magazine with him...this asshole is going to suck soo much money in his prosecution, wish someone had just shot his ass right then and there

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Ice-T understands the futile nature of the media's focus on guns and the stupidity of believing that gun bans and restrictions would keep you or anyone else safe from crazy people. Wish there were more level headed folks opining this view on tv with just as much honesty as Ice-T.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/24/rapper-defends-gun-rights-after-colo-shooting

Rapper defends gun rights after Colo. shooting

While many pundits have been quick to advocate for gun control in the aftermath of the Aurora, Colo., theater rampage that killed 12 and wounded 58, rapper Ice-T took to the airwaves to defend gun rights.

Speaking with Channel 4 London&#8217;s Krishnan Guru-Murthy, the rapper and &#8220;Law & Order: SVU&#8221; actor said: &#8220;The right to bear arms is because that&#8217;s the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt. It&#8217;s to protect yourself from the police.&#8221;

Guru-Murthy pushed back against the rapper who penned &#8220;Cop Killer&#8221; by asking if a link between the Second Amendment and the tragedy in Colorado exists.

&#8220;No, not really. You know what I&#8217;m sayin,&#8217; if somebody wants to kill people they don&#8217;t need a gun to do it,&#8221; the rapper responded.

Ice-T&#8217;s comments stand in stark contrast to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg&#8217;s remarks immediately following the theater massacre.

&#8220;You know, soothing words are nice, but maybe it&#8217;s time that the two people who want to be President of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country,&#8221; said Bloomberg, an advocate of gun control laws, during a radio interview.

Youtube link of interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ssXPEC0r7w&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Right, because if we didnt have laws restricting the sale of, I dont know, m249s and real grenades this wouldnt been a worse tragedy?

Pure nonsense.

As mentioned earlier in thread, keep scope in mind, not just an actual event happening.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Right, because if we didnt have laws restricting the sale of, I dont know, m249s and real grenades this wouldnt been a worse tragedy?

Pure nonsense.

As mentioned earlier in thread, keep scope in mind, not just an actual event happening.

There are approximately 250,000-300,000 MG's registered with the ATF and slightly more then half of those are privately owned by individuals and the rest are owned by law-enforcement agencies or officers.

Now enjoy the semi-annual Knob Creek, Kentucky gun shot.

What it looks like in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-EKWxvKUg&feature=related

What it looks like at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxnYNJoQJ98

From another shoot at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJb_gVcxXY

Here's what an heated mini-gun barrel looks like at night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFEafMjrlOw&feature=related

Last edited:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

Ammo capacity, shooter comfort, and ballistics tend to favor the .40 over the venerable .45. Of course debating these two cartridges will often cause a shitstorm, which certainly does not belong in this thread.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Pure nonsense.

There are a number of m249s in civilian hands, and grenades are even less restricted than machine guns. See the above posters knob creek video for a demo of how many civilian owned machine guns are out there.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
There are a number of m249s in civilian hands, and grenades are even less restricted than machine guns. See the above posters knob creek video for a demo of how many civilian owned machine guns are out there.

This isnt making me feel any better!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

No, it's not a "loophole", it's complete and utter ignorance.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
This isnt making me feel any better!

Why because the reality is that civilians do in fact have access to machine guns, and yet they are practically never used in crimes? Yea, it sure throws a wrench in the ignorant progressive rivers of blood narrative.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I thought the AR15 was a semi-automatic? He had to have been doing some aiming for the death count to have been as high as it was in the relative short span of the incident.

So am I. A few people interviewed mused that it might have been because he'd only been able to get a job at a McDonalds. Possible but doubtful. That's be a whole lot of overkill <pun unintended> for the chaos and death caused. It was a factor but based on what we've seen, plus his appearance in court; there's more going on underneath his bright red hair.

I think this was the thread where I posted a brief juxtaposition of Holmes and Rush Limbaugh.

Now I find that Holmes graduated from my "alma mater" -- my school, my UC campus.

From all the descriptions, comments and other information published, I was trying to figure out what he was thinking or how he was thinking.

It seems that he may have been "gifted and talented," probably indulged because of it. His parents probably indulged him; his grade-school, high-school -- even college teachers -- probably indulged him. What I get from the news descriptions is a picture of someone who didn't have to work very hard for his grades. At the same time, he apparently didn't have a balanced life -- particularly, much of a social life.

At UC Riverside, he was an hour drive from home. He may have gone home weekly, at any rate, as often as he wanted. It may be that the "umbilical" of parental support was always there for him.

Then, he gets into this prestigious graduate program at Colorado State. Where he probably had few friends in Riverside, he had no friends at Aurora.

What I know -- from personal experience -- about graduate programs, PhD programs etc.: The exams -- qualifying exams and field exams -- are a "formality." The students never know this, and students are challenged. They can make you take those exams three times before giving a pass. But most programs are based on the idea that the selection is made at the beginning -- you either "get in" or you don't. After that, the academic department may think that failing you reflects on their poor judgment, and the student -- if persistent -- will get through the program after going through the gauntlet of rigors and challenges -- eventually. But I've also known PhD candidates who were held up for 12 years in a program that should've been completed after three or four years.

There is also a phenomenon of professors who give grades and criticism as departure from "fair market-value" from objective achievement. So, a professor decides so-and-so has a lot of "potential," but needs an "attitude-change." The student gets a lower-than-deserved mark as a "spur" to work harder. I never agreed with this approach, and do not regard it as a professor's responsibility or right to mess with someone's mind. The classroom can function as a market: objective achievement gets paid in grades.

So this guy goes up to Aurora -- had never been challenged before. Had pretty much glided through his academic life. Suddenly, he's "challenged;" fails one of the prelim exams ( but this is pretty much normal for all PhD candidates -- they always fail students and make them take the exam again).

Twenty-four years old; hadn't matured like others; never had to cope with setbacks or failure; probably even imagined he had "failed" when he was still in the ball-game. So we find out he'd sent this package to a professor at his school, the contents depicting what he had yet to do after sending the package. It was like saying "You did this! You caused this! You ruined my life! So I'm getting even with you and the whole world!"

I don't think unbalanced development or immaturity or anything like that would get someone off on an insanity defense. I'm just stunned at how . . . . screwed up Holmes must have been.

And there's a parallel with Ted Kascinski -- the Unabomber. A lot of similarities. I could guess about Holmes' upbringing and home life from what I know of the Unabomber.

As for the orange hair-dye, the loss of grooming you see comparing earlier pictures with those most recent . . . . Perhaps he should've gone through his rebellion phase at age 16. 24 seems a bit late.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

That's pretty much what I was getting at; the whole "being out of his element" scenario.

It wasn't just that he'd had to take a less than desirable job or the recent loss of his girlfriend. One or both of those were the proverbial straw that broke his back.

Considering his sleepy or even catatonic-like appearance in court Monday, I have to wonder if he even grasps the reality of what he did. I'm not giving him an "out" or an excuse; he could be faking his demeanor. But as tragic and horrific as his actions were, the events leading up to the massacre provide important insight into the workings of the mind and may give us markers to look for in the future.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
That's pretty much what I was getting at; the whole "being out of his element" scenario.

It wasn't just that he'd had to take a less than desirable job or the recent loss of his girlfriend. One or both of those were the proverbial straw that broke his back.

Considering his sleepy or even catatonic-like appearance in court Monday, I have to wonder if he even grasps the reality of what he did. I'm not giving him an "out" or an excuse; he could be faking his demeanor. But as tragic and horrific as his actions were, the events leading up to the massacre provide important insight into the workings of the mind and may give us markers to look for in the future.

I hadn't heard or read anything about a "girlfriend." Where did you hear or read it? Here -- I get the Riverside Press-Enterprise and the LA Times -- been scouring both daily on this news item as it developed. Don't remember anything about a girlfriend.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
He had been seeing a psychiatrist at the university for a year. The university gave this crazy guy $26,000 dollars of taxpayer money provided by the NIH, to buy all those guns.

He had applied to two private ranges, but wasn't accepted by either. So they could see he was crazy, but his psychiatrist, university, and the NIH couldn't.

Don't let the government give crazy people large sums of money to buy guns.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
He had been seeing a psychiatrist at the university for a year. The university gave this crazy guy $26,000 dollars of taxpayer money provided by the NIH, to buy all those guns.

He had applied to two private ranges, but wasn't accepted by either. So they could see he was crazy, but his psychiatrist, university, and the NIH couldn't.

Don't let the government give crazy people large sums of money to buy guns.

That's about standard for a prestigious graduate study grant. It was for living expenses and/or tuition. Interesting, because the amount hasn't changed much since the day I might have applied for similar in my own field -- I think they were offering about $20K. But SS recipients with $20K_worth of SS benefits have been caught making meatloaf of dogfood, so . . . .

I'm quite sure this guy had some parental support, though. He HAD also been working -- as a lab tech. But I've seen nothing about a "girlfriend." None of the interviews conducted here in Riverside or at Aurora turned up anything like that, or I missed reading something. The guy didn't have to be gay or anything, just a wallflower focused on neuroganglionic transmitters, dopamines and computer games. Geek on steroids without a life. Perhaps . . . . sechshually fluster-ated. Like Bill Maher once said about young Muslims -- "backed-up jism."