Mass sexual assaults in Egypt?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: zoiks
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: JS80
Are you really shocked? It IS the middle east...
Contrary to what you may think, not everyone in the ME is an animal.

Of course not, solely the majority of them.

Of course, dumbasses are only a minority. You being one of them.

The Majority are Muslim, and based on the clerics view of Islam in the ME, they follow a barbaric religion (as defined by leadership of the Muslim community in the ME). So yes, the majority are barbaric animals.

Woman are just possessions of course there, so it is no surprise this happened.

Welp, you've been a wonderful strawman.

Instead of this being a thread about stupid people who sexually assault in Egypt, it has become a thread about stupid people who take a narrow view on a very diverse region of the world.

You've seriously got to be a shill looking to deflect attention from Egypt...because I don't see any other way...

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
I will never ever understand the mindset of middle eastern men.
There are very different types of ME men... it's not one big group.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
I will never ever understand the mindset of middle eastern men.
There are very different types of ME men... it's not one big group.

Exactly, like the writer of that Blog who is also a ME man, and many of his readers who are also Egyptian and are equally outraged. But to people that don't want to use their brainpower to figure out the differences between people, it's easier to just assign them to one big group and pass judgements.

I've always said that racism/stereotyping/prejudices are more about laziness than anything else. You can actually listen to the viewpoints of each person and judge one by one, or you can say "this fact seems to be true in quite a few cases, so i'll just assume it's true in every case and save myself some time." Then every time something agrees with your viewpoint you take it as more evidence, and every time something disagrees you dismiss it as an aberration.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
50% of Egypt is illiterate (If I remember correctly).

That explains a lot IMO.

Education reform in Egypt. No more F-16s! More Schools!

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

If naivety is equal to stupidity, you'd be in the same denomination as he.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Aimster

That explains a lot IMO.

I have a feeling that education reform won't do much, since they'll redefine what "education" is.

As far as I'm concerned, learning religion and having a degree in religion is not having an education. They are religious zealots over there.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Maybe if these women listened to Australia's most senior cleric this wouldn't have happened to them.;)

Women are a piece of Meat", saids this Muslim Cleric
"If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it ... whose fault is it, the cats or the uncovered meat?" the sheik reportedly said.

"If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab (Islamic headdress), no problem would have occurred."

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mzkhadir
it happens here too. Like the new york one that happened couple of months back
I've never seen a mob of people attacking random girls walking down the street in NY while the cops looked on. Link?

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
I've never seen a mob of people attacking random girls walking down the street in NY while the cops looked on. Link?

I searched google and I cannot find the link, but I know it happened.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

I'm not aware of a recent one, but maybe a decade ago there was something similar in Central Park.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

dopcombo

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2000
It's very sad that this happened. But we can't do anything about it while their people do not realise such atrocities are happening, or while their morally upright say nothing about it.

Just like Islamic terrorism, as long as the moderate Muslims do not express outrage against the acts committed by the terrorists, the rest of the world cannot help but think that they are complicit in the actions.

Can we seriously not assign blame to the Egyptian public who are NOT involved in this crime? After all, they just quietly do what they can to live life around it. Until that lady talked about it on the television, none of the TV stations or the media wanted to talk about it.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Aimster

That explains a lot IMO.

But the Zionists!!!!!! ohnoez killz t3h jews.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

He's just pulling a page out of CAIR's playbook - saying Middle Eastern people are the same as Western people. You know, it's all relative/point of view/[insert other liberal nonsense here].

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: dopcombo
It's very sad that this happened. But we can't do anything about it while their people do not realise such atrocities are happening, or while their morally upright say nothing about it.

Just like Islamic terrorism, as long as the moderate Muslims do not express outrage against the acts committed by the terrorists, the rest of the world cannot help but think that they are complicit in the actions.

Can we seriously not assign blame to the Egyptian public who are NOT involved in this crime? After all, they just quietly do what they can to live life around it. Until that lady talked about it on the television, none of the TV stations or the media wanted to talk about it.

Their people are well aware of what's happening. A moderate Muslim in Egypt does not express outrage because he somewhat agrees with the radicals and he thinks it's a shame the West finds out about it. A Liberal Secular Muslim will keep quiet so he doesn't get his head chopped off.

I blame the public.

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006

The Majority are Muslim, and based on the clerics view of Islam in the ME, they follow a barbaric religion (as defined by leadership of the Muslim community in the ME). So yes, the majority are barbaric animals.

Woman are just possessions of course there, so it is no surprise this happened.

Yeah, cause 70 million Muslims in Turkey, 180,000,000 in Indonesia and Malaysia are just as you describe :roll: