Mass Effect [1]

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
Beginner questions...

I am still in the early parts of the game and was wondering if the story changes depending on who you have in your party at a given time. Also, can you switch team members out on the fly in the future? Right now, it appears that I can only switch team members out when I acquire a new one.

Any squad member that I should always keep in my group?

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Beginner questions...

I am still in the early parts of the game and was wondering if the story changes depending on who you have in your party at a given time. Also, can you switch team members out on the fly in the future? Right now, it appears that I can only switch team members out when I acquire a new one.

The story shouldn't change much depending on the active party's composition. It's usually just a side comment here and there by the extra members, nothing that heavily influences plot. There is a point later in the game where your choice makes a major impact, but it's pretty well-telegraphed and you'll see it coming.

You'll generally be able to switch squad members any time you land on a planet or otherwise disembark your ship.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
The story shouldn't change much depending on the active party's composition. It's usually just a side comment here and there by the extra members, nothing that heavily influences plot. There is a point later in the game where your choice makes a major impact, but it's pretty well-telegraphed and you'll see it coming.

You'll generally be able to switch squad members any time you land on a planet or otherwise disembark your ship.

ty for the response. Now. Is it better to have a balanced crew? (with combat, biotec, and tech) or does it really rely more on you than the party members?

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
The AI is none too good so it really does end up on you most of the time. That being said, if you're a soldier or a biotic you might want to bring along a tech with high electronics skill to get goodies from hard difficulty crates. You CAN make your squadmates extremely useful in combat as well if you take the time to micromanage them, but most don't.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Beginner questions...

I also find these questions helpful, and would like to readdress the bolded.

It seems like the only time to choose party is while in the ship, right?
Joshguru suggested bringing a techy along to open crates, so I assume this is the case. :(

I ask, b/c I'm currently way out on the buggy, with a shitload of crates that I can't open.

...so do I have to backtrack, hoping a cut scene won't lock out my current position, change party, then go back to open the crates?

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
I also find these questions helpful, and would like to readdress the bolded.

It seems like the only time to choose party is while in the ship, right?
Joshguru suggested bringing a techy along to open crates, so I assume this is the case. :(

I ask, b/c I'm currently way out on the buggy, with a shitload of crates that I can't open.

...so do I have to backtrack, hoping a cut scene won't lock out my current position, change party, then go back to open the crates?

Usually if you're out on a planet in the Mako tank, you can open the map and return to the Normandy, then disembark again and choose a different party. As far as I know, you can't do it while you're actually on the ground except at certain story points that automatically prompt you.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Don't worry about the crates: there's more than enough loot to go around.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
As the second part of this Trilogy is released today.......

Is it a good idea to get one???

Game one (ME 1) generated ZERO interest for me 2 years ago. Either I missed it or was totally checked out.
I am seeing KOTOR or Dragon Age when I see trailers for 2 and am thinking:
WOW a FPS with a little party management and role play/Character development thrown in.
Please advise as soon as you can....
One of them is calling to me....... In a bad way.

Last edited:

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
As the second part of this Trilogy is released today.......

Is it a good idea to get one???

Game one (ME 1) generated ZERO interest for me 2 years ago. Either I missed it or was totally checked out.
I am seeing KOTOR or Dragon Age when I see trailers for 2 and am thinking:
WOW a FPS with a little party management and role play/Character development thrown in.
Please advise as soon as you can....
One of them is calling to me....... In a bad way.

You HAAAAAAVE TO get 1. Have to. I hate RPG's and I loved Mass Effect. It had one of the best stories of any game I've ever played, if not the best.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
OK, going to start with one. However:

Aughhhhhhh

So many Best Buy gift certificates.... No BB by me has it in stock...........