Mass Effect 1: Clunkier Than I remember

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
when i started getting monster gpu's and scaling them, i think i hit a line which i cant go back namely the GFX area.

I know a lot of epic games with epic stories, but when u compare them to modern engines, the story alone just doesnt cut it.

So OP i can sort of feel your sense..
You know the story is great... but when you look at the engine, your like ugh...
You want that near life like quality, or the game just doesn't look right.

Can't really agree with this...some stories hold up the games no matter what the gfx looks like. ME1 wasn't one of them...story was good...but the actual gameplay, as others have pointed out, was very clunky. For me the graphics are just eye candy, won't make or break the game. The story and the voice acting, however, are vital. Just like with movies...doesn't matter how good or cool it looks, if the story sux, the movies sux.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Replayed ME1 and 2 back to back and I really liked both. Because I was simply setting up a ME3 character, I played through both games on the most casual combat difficulty setting which probably had something to do with my liking both games (where combat was largely removed from the equation).

I could not agree more regarding the global cooldowns in ME2, although with enough leveling you could avoid having to rely on your teammates to do a lift/throw or lift/warp etc combo. I still remember my original playthough on ME1 was with a heavy soldier, and my second playthrough as an Adept was like a completely different game.

This time I went through as a Vanguard and holy crap does their special power in ME2 suck donkey nuts. In a cover based shooter, why would I WANT to leave cover and charge into enemy lines so I can temporarily stumble one badguy? What were they thinking?

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
No you want to get a harsh dose of reality go back and play KotoR. Got it on Steam for really cheap and yikes I forgot how clunky a game it is. Better left to the memories for me.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Gunship 2000 for the Amiga.
Had fond memories about that heli sims.
Fired it up in WinUAE...I shut it off after ~13 secs.

Mental note: don't trust your memory about games.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
ME1's story was terrible. It takes itself way too seriously also.

ME2 was more interesting because you're working for cerberus. Also, the opening is truly one of the best of all time.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
The only time I used the cover system in ME1 was just to test it out ... I never needed it after that, since I could just charge in with that rifle skill that stops overheating and would steamroll through everything.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
The only time I used the cover system in ME1 was just to test it out ... I never needed it after that, since I could just charge in with that rifle skill that stops overheating and would steamroll through everything.

Yup pretty much. I chose solider just to start off and that skill was the end all skill lol.

ME1 was fine during the first play though but after playing ME2, ME1 was clunky.

It was the same with ME3 though. ME2 feels clunky after playing ME3.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
This thread (and ME3's ending...) got me to reinstall the first game so I could stop being mad at Bioware for a minute. It's my favorite game of the trilogy by far.

I personally never got over the introduction of ammo in the 2nd and 3rd (I also recall the first book mentioning something to the effect that an assault rifle had thousands of rounds, not 45...). It definitely didn't help the immersion factor. "While our current line of firearms doesn't require ammo clips, thanks to technological advancements (... and Call of Duty), now you do!"

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
I like the first ME1 because I didn't have to deal with clips and I created a bad arse soldier who exclusively used pistols. It was great fun. Adept run was great too. My only issue was the inventory in ME1. I had so much extra crap by the end of the game that is was a pain to go through the upgrades for all of my equipment.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I like the first ME1 because I didn't have to deal with clips and I created a bad arse soldier who exclusively used pistols. It was great fun. Adept run was great too. My only issue was the inventory in ME1. I had so much extra crap by the end of the game that is was a pain to go through the upgrades for all of my equipment.

Biotic powers were so much more fun in ME1 as each had its own cooldown, so you string together awesome combos quite quickly.

I must be the only person who didn't have inventory issues in ME1. I kept the stuff I actively used, everything else became medi-gel.