Mass Anti-Japanese Protests and Rioting in China, etc, over Daioyu Islands

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
if Japan had a credible nuclear deterent, Red China wouldnt be acting nearly as belligerent as it is now towards it. Of course Red China can be as bellicose as it pleases. As long as they have a nuclear arsonal and Japan doesnt, thats a significant difference. Japan must go nuclear as soon as possible. Please Japan, reverse your constitution!!!

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
ytTFv.jpg

P7oeZ.jpg

take that mitsubishi!

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
Is it wrong for me as a HK chinese to be completely ashamed of what idiot mainland chinese are? I personally won;t mind glassing those protester. They already have cause fatality amount chinese people. In a way they are worse than Muslim extremist who storm the embassy.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
if Japan had a credible nuclear deterent, Red China wouldnt be acting nearly as belligerent as it is now towards it. Of course Red China can be as bellicose as it pleases. As long as they have a nuclear arsonal and Japan doesnt, thats a significant difference. Japan must go nuclear as soon as possible. Please Japan, reverse your constitution!!!

Somehow I just don't believe that a nation like China will use nukes over a dispute like this. Usually I don't think "world opinion" means shit to nations but when your entire economy relies on exporting to nations that would be insanely pissed at them nuking Japan, I just don't see it.

Another angle is it would absolutely force us into the conflict and they sure as hell don't want a conflict with the US with nukes already on the table. I don't care who is in the White House, we aren't going to sit back and let China nuke the shit out of Japan without declaring war. Hell, can they even significantly nuke Japan without taking out one of our bases?

At absolute worst they might use tactical nukes against their navy but even that is a huge stretch because again, it puts nukes on the table and we have a fuckload of them (probably a bunch sitting off their coast right now).

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
This could be huge. Japan is under our nuclear-umbrella. I think we need to abandon our treaties with Taiwan and Japan. Not a single American should die over a regional land dispute in Asia.

And FYI China will not use Nukes. They stole our designs, but they have not figured out how to make them as accurate as the United States', just as every other Nuclear Power.

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
This could be huge. Japan is under our nuclear-umbrella. I think we need to abandon our treaties with Taiwan and Japan. Not a single American should die over a regional land dispute in Asia.

And FYI China will not use Nukes. They stole our designs, but they have not figured out how to make them as accurate as the United States', just as every other Nuclear Power.

Can be abandon Israel too?

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Abandoning Japan, Korea and the Phillipines to China is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.

If it ever turns into a shooting war it will turn into a very large war very quickly, and China wouldn't stand a chance. Russia and Eastern Europe doesn't want to see an expanding China any more than the Phillipines or Japan do, China's only potential ally would be North Korea.

It's nuclear facilities would be seized, the country split into seperate states and it's government dissolved.

That is assuming it wouldn't start WWIII.

That is why China hasn't invaded any neighbors recently. It would be suicide, but only as long as they KNOW that our policy isn't based on stupid talk like you demonstrated.

Last edited:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Is this the Pussy Doctrine? What about Israel?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Can we get back to the bottomline? Who actually own those island?

Japan owns them. And unless the Chinese are ready, willing and able to retake them, they are Japanese territory. Laws do not really matter between nations.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
I was reading history, it seem that back in 1400 china once claim the island but in the late 1800 japan somehow claim it. And in 1970 US give the island in question to japan and some japanese family own the island while China is claiming that they own the island.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Is this the Pussy Doctrine? What about Israel?

No, it is the "Let's not go to war with a nuclear power over some shitty islands that we have nothing to do with" doctrine.

There are plenty of hills to die on, this is not one of them.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
I was reading history, it seem that back in 1400 china once claim the island but in the late 1800 japan somehow claim it. And in 1970 US give the island in question to japan and some japanese family own the island while China is claiming that they own the island.

Exactly what I read... via wikipedia. It stated that during the first Japanese-Sino war Japan claimed the island, but after the war they signed the "San Francisco Treaty" which gave back all territories seized by Japan... thus making the island China's again... until the 1970's when the US claimed it was Japan's... If this is accurate it seems we made a blunder and the island is China's, in which case we should be apologizing.

This is however based on what I read on wikipedia, which we know may or may not be accurate. If someone ACTUALLY knows please chime in...

Edit: Seems my summary above was a little pedestrian and vague... here's an article that sums things up a little better. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90883/7953170.html

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Exactly what I read... via wikipedia. It stated that during the first Japanese-Sino war Japan claimed the island, but after the war they signed the "San Francisco Treaty" which gave back all territories seized by Japan... thus making the island China's again... until the 1970's when the US claimed it was Japan's... If this is accurate it seems we made a blunder and the island is China's, in which case we should be apologizing.

This is however based on what I read on wikipedia, which we know may or may not be accurate. If someone ACTUALLY knows please chime in...

Edit: Seems my summary above was a little pedestrian and vague... here's an article that sums things up a little better. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90883/7953170.html

Come on dude. You cited People Daily (the mouthpiece of the CCP - China Communist Party) as your source?

Speaking of little islands. Funny how China/Chinese are all upset about Japan yet not a word about how China invaded and took Paracel Islands from Vietnam in 1974 and part of Spratly Islands from Vietnam in 1988 and is harrashing Philippines at Scarborough Shoal. I don't remember Japan ever attacked those islands and took them from China (NOT talking about what Japan did at the main land in WWII - totally separate issue).

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I really didnt know the chinese were allowed to assemble publicly.

A cynical mind would see orchestration and manipulation of these protests by the Chinese government. Reminds me a lot of Iran after the fall of the Shah when supposedly student rioters invaded and took over the US Embassy and then the Iranian government moved and confined all the captured Americans elsewhere to so-called safe locations.

I laugh at those talking about nuclear war, this won't even escalate to a shooting war. The plan is China will just keep pushing and pushing until Japan relents and gives up these islands.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
Then again, US IS at fraud IF they give the island to Japan if it is rightfully owned by China, correct? However, I am unable to find some accurate source of info.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
in the past they were sometimes considered part of the ryukyu kingdom/islands.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Read an article that this might be sprung by the Chinese government to cover for their unsustainable economy. Rumors are China is a lot worse off than we know.