Mass Anti-Japanese Protests and Rioting in China, etc, over Daioyu Islands

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
Image gallery of Protests in China:
http://imgur.com/a/Y7oIp

Protests in China:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...econd-day-of-violent-anti-Japan-protests.html

Chinese Americans in Houston:
http://www.firstpost.com/fwire/china-japan-island-row-chinese-protest-in-us-cities-457661.html

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta on trip to the region:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19617201

Speaking in Tokyo, Leon Panetta said: "I am concerned that when these countries engage in provocations of one kind or another over these various islands, that it raises the possibility that a misjudgement on one side or the other could result in violence, and could result in conflict.

Provocations could result in war when populations are itching for a fight? Understatement of the year. Is anyone concerned about a conflict developing in Asia while the world is distracted by the Middle East and the US elections? Could the US be drawn in due to treaty obligations to Japan?

Chinese marine/fisheries surveillance ships enter Japanese waters over island dispute:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...nter-Japanese-waters-over-island-dispute.html

People are asking what would Japan do if China simply air dropped marines on the disputed islands at night. Probably nothing and it would set a major precedent for the region.

In related news, photos have appeared on the internet of a new Chinese prototype stealth fighter, roughly a week before Panetta arrived in China for his first visit. In January of 2011, photos appeared of a larger stealth fighter roughly a week before Secretary Robert Gates visited China for the first time.

September 2012:
http://i.imgur.com/KZ1vx.jpg

January 2011:
http://www.chinatoday.com/arm/airppane/j20_a.jpg
http://www.defenceaviation.com/wp-content/gallery/j-20-maiden-flight/megaplex-j-20-2.jpg

Japan and South Korea have stealth fighter designs in development, still very much on the drawing board.

Last edited:

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Red China has started its journey into becoming the 4th Reich. A lot of people hype up Chinas war machine. Japan actually has a very formidable navy with a lot of Aegis equipped ships. I dont give damn about Japan being under Americas nuclear umbrella. They are living next to an ever increasing bellicose nuclear neighbor. Japan needs to immediately reverse its constitution and develop a credible nuclear deterent. A land and sea based nuclear combo would be even better.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Obama is going to have to hurry up and cut ties with Japan. When is his next trip to China so he can apologize for our Constitution or our history or something. He can also say :“I believe it is peace for our time . . . peace with honor.”

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Considering that both China and Japan have joint plans to establish a Asian economic zone free of any links to the US dollar this might eventually simmer down or boil over and disrupt those plans altogether. Currently it seems like to top Chinese officials are trying to quell theses nationalist protests over this island which I might add is suspected to be rich in natural gas resources. Furthermore the island itself was actually privately owned by a Japanese citizen up until he sold it to the Japanese government.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Japan is going to have to whip out the old Bushido culture again if China gets too uppity. China is however going to whip out a robot-girlfriend and completely pacify Japan with it.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
If China can bully Japan (one of the strongest Navy in Asia) then all hope are gone for peace in Asia/Pacific Ocean. China will just roll over smaller neighbors such as Vietnam and Philippines at Spratly Islands and Scarborough Shoal.

Last edited:

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
I'm sooo ANGRY, let me smash a hundreds of Japanese cars!!!

Humans are so stupid sometimes.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I'm sooo ANGRY, let me smash a hundreds of Japanese cars!!!

Humans are so stupid sometimes.

Yeah this is just as dumb as the psychotic ragers from that muhammed video but at least in this case nobody gets killed.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
........ Furthermore the island itself was actually privately owned by a Japanese citizen up until he sold it to the Japanese government.

Looking at the map, it would seem odd that Japanese territory would reach so far as to touch Taiwan/China's 'front lawn'. If you look just a little furthur back before it was owned by a Japanese citizen you'd find that it was annexed by Japan during a period of being militarily aggressive until WWII.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Obama is going to have to hurry up and cut ties with Japan. When is his next trip to China so he can apologize for our Constitution or our history or something. He can also say :“I believe it is peace for our time . . . peace with honor.”

Hereally just needs to apologize for Americans like you, that would cover just about all of it.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

Provocations could result in war when populations are itching for a fight? Understatement of the year. Is anyone concerned about a conflict developing in Asia while the world is distracted by the Middle East and the US elections? Could the US be drawn in due to treaty obligations to Japan?

Which provocation are you referring to?
The one that Japan caused in 2012 when it purchased the islands from a Japanese citizen?
Or that China/Taiwan is irritated that Japan owns something that is right off their coast?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
DisputedIslandsJapan.photoblog600.jpg

SouthChinaSeaDisputes.photoblog600.jpg

"Vast oil reserves, trillion-dollar trade routes, fervent nationalist sentiments, competing territorial claims and bitter histories – the waters off the east coast of China are a sea of money and a sea of trouble.

Tensions have been rising for several years and recently hit new heights with activists landing on disputed islands, angry diplomatic exchanges and even a threat to deploy troops, prompting fears of an armed conflict that could potentially involve the United States, China, Japan and other nations.

The South China Sea has a myriad of competing claims of ownership: China staked out most of it in 1947 but its neighbors have never accepted it. The Spratly Islands alone are claimed by a total of five countries: China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines and Vietnam.

All are eyeing oil and gas reserves thought to be so rich that the area has become dubbed "The Second Persian Gulf." Also, an estimated $5 trillion worth of trade is shipped through its waters."

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...-as-tensions-rise-in-troubled-china-seas?lite

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11341139

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Many countries have islands scattered across an ocean from previous conquests/expansion when no one claimed the island.

Once economics come into play; then people will get upset at the status quo.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
China's government is usually very quick to squash protests. I don't think it is a surprise to see this one go on for so long and be so volatile. The government has got to be loving the fervent nationalism.

There is obviously still some underlying rage built up in the Chinese towards Japan. It will be interesting to see how this plays out..

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The US is pushing the envelope by selling missile defense shield to japan.

http://rt.com/news/china-japan-war-panetta-290/

China threatens to set japan back 2 decades.

We're selling them another AN/TPY-2 radar set. The idea is to free up the Kongo class destroyers (basically Arleigh Burke class complete with Aegis systems) from early warning duty on the Japanese coasts. They can also tie in with satellite based early warning for enhanced tracking.

Japan does not have the THAAD missile batteries to do interception with these radar sets.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
China's government is usually very quick to squash protests. I don't think it is a surprise to see this one go on for so long and be so volatile. The government has got to be loving the fervent nationalism.

There is obviously still some underlying rage built up in the Chinese towards Japan. It will be interesting to see how this plays out..

On the contrary, out of control demonstrations like these are not good for the government. China learned this the last time anti-japanese demonstrations happened (last year?).

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
On the contrary, out of control demonstrations like these are not good for the government. China learned this the last time anti-japanese demonstrations happened (last year?).

The last one that was really bad that scared them was in 2005. Anyway, it's interesting to see the Chinese destroying their own communities. No different from the wild muslim protests...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
We're selling them another AN/TPY-2 radar set. The idea is to free up the Kongo class destroyers (basically Arleigh Burke class complete with Aegis systems) from early warning duty on the Japanese coasts. They can also tie in with satellite based early warning for enhanced tracking.

Japan does not have the THAAD missile batteries to do interception with these radar sets.

How do you know they do not have it or are not licensed to make it?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
How do you know they do not have it or are not licensed to make it?

They would have to purchase from Lockheed (pending government approval) and wait in line behind the US Army who has ordered their systems first. Since the US Army bankrolled the development the government would also have say in any licensing.

Conceivably the US Army could move existing systems over there in relatively short order and connect them to the Japanese radars if a major crisis brewed up.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
They would have to purchase from Lockheed (pending government approval) and wait in line behind the US Army who has ordered their systems first. Since the US Army bankrolled the development the government would also have say in any licensing.

Conceivably the US Army could move existing systems over there in relatively short order and connect them to the Japanese radars if a major crisis brewed up.

I see. So this battery is not even in operation?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I see. So this battery is not even in operation?

Only the US Army has it right now, two operational batteries that are both domestically based. The Army recently issued a contract for three more I think.

The Japanese just want the radar right now, most likely to give their existing Patriot PAC-3 batteries more time to respond to short range/medium threats since the range is far greater than the Patriot system's radar coverage. To be a real threat to China's ICBM forces we would have to supply Japan with the entire THAAD system or the questionably effective GMD system (like we have in Alaska).