Maryland "red flag" law claims a victim.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah I don't know what to think about this...

1) What's the standard of proof to argue a case to have someone's property removed from them (guns or not).

2) How does this pass constitutional muster? Can I go before a judge and show that someone is saying inciteful things so they should lose their right to speech (I understand these things are not perfectly correlates, but run with me here).

3) There has to be a better way to execute the law than confronting an armed man in his home. That's going to cause problems.

This is what bugs me about it, someone can go argue that someone else should not have their constitutional right and then that's done? Quite the anti-2A Salem witch trial way of doing things. This is wrong and the cops should not have done this. Just another example of what the left thinks is a "sensible" gun law and as I've said before, is largely to blame for making the NRA the monster it is today. They think Trump writing an EO is treason, but someone telling a judge a citizen shouldn't have a constitutional right is sensible.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
So what is the process to get your guns back?
Or is this going to turn into another civil forfeiture situation?
Get a case number, get a badge number, make a call in the AM and let due process work its way through.
All you have to ask yourself is this: is there any item in your house right now that if cops peacefully tried to confiscate temporarily you would physically wrestle with them?

Yeah I don't know what to think about this...

1) What's the standard of proof to argue a case to have someone's property removed from them (guns or not).

2) How does this pass constitutional muster? Can I go before a judge and show that someone is saying inciteful things so they should lose their right to speech (I understand these things are not perfectly correlates, but run with me here).

3) There has to be a better way to execute the law than confronting an armed man in his home. That's going to cause problems.
The standard of proof is whatever the judge says it is. Its probably the same standard of proof to allow a search, or get a restraining order and so on.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Gun laws work about as good as drug laws.

Yet with all these gun threads we've had that have shown you and everyone else in those threads evidence of states that have stronger gun laws have lower gun deaths, you still deny it because it doesn't fit your narrative.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I personally think if they had a judge sign off on this there is some validity to the red flag claim. No matter, this was a good shoot as the man pulled the weapon and it was fired.
He should have as has been stated before, given up his weapon and fight about it in court.

Reactions: nickqt