Maryland is trying to outdue all other states for crazy

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Student suspended for shaping Pop-Tart into gun

Baltimore, MD (KTNV) -- A student in Baltimore was suspended over breakfast.

7-year-old Josh Welch was eating a Pop-Tart at school. A teacher saw the pastry and said she thought it looked like it was being shaped into a gun.

The teacher also said she heard Welch say, "Bang Bang" while he was holding it.

That was enough to get him suspended.

Welch said his teacher got it completely wrong, "It was already a rectangle and I just kept on biting it and tore off the top, and it kind of looked like a gun but it wasn't."

Welch said he was trying to shape the Pop-Tart into a mountain.

The school sent out a letter late in the day to parents explaining what happened and why they thought it was a threat saying, "A student used food to make an inappropriate gesture."

Welch was suspended for two days.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/watercooler/194673111.html

The fear of guns is such a phobia in this state that sanity is out the window. Maybe they will add pop-tarts to the Assault Weapons ban.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Sadly, I imagine someone (a crazy parent) would've probably made a stink about it if the teacher/administration didn't. This is probably a CYA moment on their part as much as anything.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Sadly, I imagine someone (a crazy parent) would've probably made a stink about it if the teacher/administration didn't. This is probably a CYA moment on their part as much as anything.

Anti gun mentality- the modern "Reefer Madness"

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The post you are about to readbmay startle you . It would not have been possible otherwise, to sufficiently emphasize the frightful toll of the new pop tart gun menace which is destroying the youth of America in alarmingly increasing numbers. Pop Tarts as weapons -- a violent device-- an unspeakable scourge -- The Real Public Enemy Number One ! Its first effect is sudden violent, uncontrollable hunger, then come dangerous "bang" sounds-- space expands -- time slows down, almost stands still.... fixed ideas come next, conjuring up monstrous extravagances -- followed by emotional disturbances, the total inability to direct thoughts, the loss of all power to resist physical emotions leading finally to acts of shocking violence ... ending often in incurable insanity. In picturing its soul- destroying effects no attempt was made to equivocate. The these facts are based upon actual research into the results of Pop Tart addiction. If its stark reality will make you think, will make you aware that something must be done to wipe out this ghastly menace, then the post will not have failed in its purpose. Because the dread Pop Tart may be reaching forth next for your son or daughter ...or yours ... or YOURS

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They're "educating" the children that guns are bad. I said the "G" word in front of my friend's 4 year old a few months ago, I don't even remember what we were talking about, normal conversation, it wasn't political or angry or anything. The kid perks up and says, "You said a bad word, gun is a bad word." I gave his parents a weird look, knowing them I don't think they taught him that. But somebody sure did.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I saw that on the news this morning. Am not surprised. Schools are paranoid these days.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
So now a pop-tart with frosting on it is going to be labeled an assault weapon. And no more of those high capacity packages. You know, those ones that come 2 per package? Those are just too dangerous.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You have got to be fucking kidding me, i dont want to live in this world anymore......

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
And the truly sad thing is, his parents don't even lock up their Pop-tarts at home! They just leave them sitting out in the open, right there in the kitchen, where the children can get to them! Such negligence!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
And the truly sad thing is, his parents don't even lock up their Pop-tarts at home! They just leave them sitting out in the open, right there in the kitchen, where the children can get to them! Such negligence!

You think thats bad? There are several places nearby that don't do background checks when I buy them! Any crazy person can just go buy a bunch in bulk!

I feel scared :( Why isn't a politician telling me what freedom I need to give up to feel safe again?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As usual for here the topic is not accurate according to the actual report.

He wasn't suspended for the shape of the pop tart. He was suspended for pretending to shoot it.

That still might not be warranted but its not at all the same thing to make a shape out of a pop tart, compared to making a threat; which is what pretending to shoot a gun could be interpreted as.

Last edited:

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
When you centralize power this type of response is guaranteed. Inefficiencies and stupidity and worse, politics, take the place of discretion and appropriate responses to this kind of event. Nobody at the school had the desire or ability to stop the stupid measure of action to suspend the child.

Of course if this child's parents were part of the ruling class or very wealthy then the response would have been appropriate, "Johnny don't play with your food" and that would have been the end of it as he won't on to learn math and spelling at a level of instruction far superior to what the rest of the masses have been deemed worthy for.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

He wasn't suspended for the shape of the pop tart. He was suspended for pretending to shoot it.

That still might not be warranted but its not at all the same thing to make a shape out of a pop tart, compared to making a threat; which is what pretending to shoot a gun could be interpreted as.

Like I said above, the demonization of guns is the real problem, not the "threatening gesture". Kids are being brainwashed into fearing guns, plain and simple.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

He was suspended for pretending to shoot a pop tart he nibbled into a vaguely gun like shape....

And you think that could be construed as a threat?

Well I suppose he might get jam on someone... :rolleyes:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Like I said above, the demonization of guns is the real problem, not the "threatening gesture". Kids are being brainwashed into fearing guns, plain and simple.

Someone needs to sit them in front of episodes of Looney Tunes.

Last edited: