Marvel Cinematic Universe Death Watch

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Despite the box office mojo of Ultron the MCU is headed for a crash.

With many of the most popular characters already appearing in two or even three movies the backstories are getting more and more complicated and the characteristics of the heroes are getting too set in stone.

It won't be possible to keep telling good stories when the writers are already in such a box with the characters.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
It won't be possible to keep telling good stories when the writers are already in such a box with the characters.

I thought that too, then we got Guardians of the Galaxy (aka probably the best Marvel movie so far).

All I know is that I give things 4 times more chances if it is part of the MCU. No way I am still watching Agents of Shield without that tie.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, I'm kind of bored with the whole thing now. No real desire to go see Ultron and there is nothing on the horizon that really interests me.

KT

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Yeah, I'm kind of bored with the whole thing now. No real desire to go see Ultron and there is nothing on the horizon that really interests me.

KT

The new Mad Max movie seems to be getting "modern classic" reviews.....

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Meh, I'm still loving it. Age of Ultron was just a fun movie even without the MCU ties. My biggest complaint was that it felt like filler (albeit quality filler), and the forced romance between Banner and Black Widow was just weak. I'm looking forward to Ant-Man and the Black Panther movies. Two great characters that never get mainstream attention.

Reactions: brianmanahan

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
they'll find a way to reboot before they let the whole thing die

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The new Mad Max movie seems to be getting "modern classic" reviews.....

Seeing as how this is a thread about Marvel and the MCU, I'm not going out on a limb by inferring that when he says "there is nothing on the horizon that really interests me" he's talking about upcoming Marvel movies...i.e. Ant Man, etc, not about all upcoming movies in general. You'd have to be pretty dead inside not to be a little bit excited about any of all the other major titles coming in 2015...

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The Irish don't believe in spoiler alerts?

How is that a spoiler? All I told you is that it exists and I think it seems forced. Would it also be a spoiler if I told you the movie has a running joke about Thor's hammer?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
With many of the most popular characters already appearing in two or even three movies the backstories are getting more and more complicated and the characteristics of the heroes are getting too set in stone.

It's freaking comic books. The backstories are filled with holes long before a character gets into a movie. Nobody cares. The comic movie juggernaut is eventually going to crash, but it's not going to be because of the convoluted back stories. Hollywood will do what Hollywood always does: They stumbled into something that is working, so they'll kill the goose that laid the golden egg. They're keep churning out superhero movies with increasing frequency and decreasing quality until everyone is tired of them.

Mar 11, 2004
OP the thing is, while I think it is doomed to failure, fact is there's really nothing actually supporting that. Take Transformers, Call of Duty, etc, pretty widely panned and but they're still making tons of money even though there's very little to differentiate the sequels from each other (less than the Marvel movies by a wide margin). And I think Marvel/Disney is doing a much much much better job of trying to stay ahead of things than those are. They're actually trying to get unique directors that could bring interesting takes to some of these more minor movies. There's definitely tons of ways they can screw them up, and I'm waiting to see one of the huge budget ones flop which will probably get them to freak out, but until that happens it seems like they're only going to put more resources and talent towards them, which should help them to succeed.

Not only that but the public interest in the MCU is actually growing from what I've seen. And I actually think they're making better movies now than they were, although I still think they're pretty heavily overrated (Guardians of the Galaxy is the only one that I'd say was a really good movie above solid superhero movie, I'd probably put it higher than Spider-Man 2 - the Raimi one - but below Batman Begins and Dark Knight; the rest of the MCU movies I've seen have been 7s at best, that's not to say they aren't fun and enjoyable but they all have pretty substantial flaws in my opinion although the only one that I've seen so far that I think is just downright bad is Iron-Man 2).

My biggest issue is them making them longer and longer and shoehorning in more and more side stuff and other minor slow building stuff, but apparently it doesn't bother most people.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Guardians and Winter Soldier were drastically different from the other MCU movies. So far everything they've touched has been gold even the shitty ones.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
which is probably why they have a whole lot of movies coming out with new chars and new groups.

and looks like ender will be playing spiderman.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
i'll take "things that didn't happen" for 800$, alex
LOL, no kidding.

It seems like a lot of the time when someone is certain that some product or thing of popular culture is on it's "death watch" that they're just personally biased or are going on limited/incomplete information, and that it's not actually on death watch. I mean, c'mon, MCU? LOL, riiiiight. I'm not saying it could NEVER happen but it sure in the hell ain't now.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I remember I thought Nintendo Switch was gonna fail badly. Nope, I'll own that.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I thought this was a brand new thread basically asking: "Where does it go from here?"

that is a good question, i'm not sure where they're gonna take it from here.

i think there's another spiderman coming up, and a backstory movie for one of the main avengers

other than that IDK, but i don't really know much about marvel universe outside of the movies

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
i'll take "things that didn't happen" for 800$, alex

We'll have to see where they go from here with the next Big baddie who will get several post credit Scenes build up.

A common guess I have seen was Galactus.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Anyone know what happened to techs? I recall that he was pretty ill at one point...

Best guess...

Put in an asylum for screaming about a crusade against everyone who utters imaginary only in their head GoT spoilers to include just about anyone they had personal contact with... extremely awkward in a work environment.

_________

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Best guess...

Put in an asylum for screaming about a crusade against everyone who utters imaginary only in their head GoT spoilers to include just about anyone they had personal contact with... extremely awkward in a work environment.

_________

that, or maybe the cancer.