Martian soil may contain life

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
http://drudgereport.com/flash.htm
Martian soil may contain life
Thu Aug 23 2007 11:30:10 ET

The soil on Mars may contain microbial life!

Joop Houtkooper of the University of Giessen, Germany, will declare on Friday the Viking spacecraft may have found signs of a weird life form based on hydrogen peroxide on the subfreezing, arid Martian surface.

His analysis of one of the experiments carried out by the Viking spacecraft suggests that 0.1 percent of the Martian soil could be of biological origin.

That is roughly comparable to biomass levels found in some Antarctic permafrost, home to a range of hardy bacteria and lichen.

Developing....

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: zinfamous
i wonder if this lichen has mastered interstellar travel?
don't they have to control the underworld first?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

Primitive life can, theoretically, survive space travel if it is encased asteroids or comets. Life can develop on a planet, then the planet can get hit by a big rock, ejecting life holding soil into space. Simple cells can stay in that soil for a long time.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
Time to declare war on Mars and stamp out this evil life form.

"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: jjones
Time to declare war on Mars and stamp out this evil life form.

"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"

With enemies, you know where they stand. With neutral people you don't know which side they are ..

A more detailed article can be found here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/s...l.life.reut/index.html

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I'm all for space exploration.
But for the millions of dollars being spent I could give them the same results for half the money, just look in my fridge :)

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Based on data from Viking? Don't expect much new groundbreaking proof to come out of 30+ year old data.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: preslove

Primitive life can, theoretically, survive space travel if it is encased asteroids or comets. Life can develop on a planet, then the planet can get hit by a big rock, ejecting life holding soil into space. Simple cells can stay in that soil for a long time.

Oh dear...someone has gone and taken me too seriously again.. :p

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: preslove

There's been a wrench thrown in the panspermia theory lately.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Wor.../07/1186252680988.html