martial arts:which one is the most useful? karate vs judo vs tae kwon.......(UPDATE NEED MORE OPINIONS FROM YOU GUYS)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Jeet Kune Do

Lee's whole philosophy with JKD was to turn it into a pure fighting style. Many of the martial arts focus on forms or certain traditions that have little to do with fighting. He started with Wing Chun, removed the elements that he found unnecessary, and added things he liked from other arts. Today there are many different styles of JKD because they've all evolved in different directions depending on who your teacher is. My teacher studied under Ted Wong, who was a student of Lee's. If you studied with someone in a different lineage, the style would be somewhat different. But they all teach the same basics and those are what you want for a strong foundation.

lawaris

Banned
Jun 26, 2001
no-one has talked about the power of "belief".
While I was young I had many nasty scapes and have the scars to show them.

I never learned any of these tech. though I wanted to ......it was just the instinct for survival which got me through !
It was always a question of me or them !!

BTW : If it is just about protecting yourself ......try to lower your ego and practise running.

If it is some loved one you might have to protect .....try not to take risks in life too much ! Like walking for a romantic walk in a bad-attitude neighbourhood.

With a lot less practise you can avoid most troubles and lead a happy life ..........

All this came from my experience ........ it is not bad to learn something .....but not with the attitude you have.
You have to go a long way b'for you are ready to learn even ....... what goes in your mind is often more imp. than physical strenght ot tech (s).

sigh ......... people have so much to learn

Novgrod

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2001
I will again vote for boxing and greco-roman wrestling, but the purpose of this post is to remind everyone that

a) you should never plan to take on more than one opponent at a time; it's a fantastically unlikely proposition. Two people are more effective than one by an order of magnitude. If you do have to do this, your best bet is to kick the crap out of one the two as soon as you possibly can, and the most effective way to do this is with boxing.

b) you will never effectively be able to disarm someone. In the one in 1 000 000 chance that someone has a gun to your head, that the person will kill you, that you know the person will kill you, and that he or she has enunciated his/her desire to kill you before actually pulling the trigger, some basic training would be helpful. I remain convinced that, in a conflict with somebody with a knife, run. with a gun, give him your wallet or do whatever the hell he(/she implied) tells you to do. As I mentioned earlier, even people who are fantastically qualified, i.e. green berets, screw up and die because of it.

Otherwise, while punches are from the hips/legs, the shoulder isn't unimportant :)

I agree with tscenter emphatically, other than that I think sparring, even in the rules-oriented boxing ring, is immensely helpful. You can probably find somebody to spar with fewer rules (make sure it's not the big guy who wants to beat somebody up good :)) but IMHO sparring with rules trumps not sparring at all.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001

<< << Tae Kwon Do, or TKD as it is commonly referred to by karate communities, is a Korean art thought to be based upon Japanese karate brought to Korea during the Japanese occupation of Korea during 1910-1945. >>

tkd based upon japanese karate? BULL SH!T.
>>

Totally agree. TKD evolved from tae kyon. Calling Tae Kwon Do "Korean Karate" is like saying, "Hi, I'm a yellow caucasian." Uhh...NO.

First off, I've been training in TKD for a year now and I think it's great. I've been in a lot of fights before (most of them consisted of me and the guy throwing a punch, then walk away cussing at each other). The number of fights I've been involved in after TKD is at a grand total of 0 because it taught me the self-control and wits to not get into a fight in the first place.

Usually people of grappling arts are quick to dismiss TKD because it won't be effective when you're on the ground, which is true. But most fights start from standing up; if a guy is rushing at me, I'd use a very quick front kick to their solar plex and that will definitely knock them down and they'll be grasping for breath. Or a powerful sidekick to their knees which is also very effective.

But because of TKD's popularity, it's easy to find instructors that are there just for the money. Mine's genuine because he only teaches part time since he's an engineer full time so he has no reason to quickly promote people to get their money; although he's only a part-time instructor, he has 30+ years of TKD training under his belt.

Some things TKD taught me includes good punching techniques and awesome an array of powerful kicks (for example, a spinning wheel kick gathers incredible momentum with its spin and people untrained in martial arts do not recognize its initial technique so they have no idea what you're going to do and how to block it), faster reflexes, endurance, and where/how to hit. Most people would aim for the face but when your adrenaline's pumping, you won't feel a thing. However, if you get punched in the solar plex you'll be out of breath and on the ground. That idiot who said you'll never use kicks is just full of it. Like others have said, kicks have the range and the power over fists and punches and if you know some kicks, you will definitely want to employ them in a fight.

Grappling arts are definitely good but it's quite difficult to take down some guy towering over you but it's easy to break his knee with a kick.

I'd recommend a standing art like TKD or a hybrid of standing and grappling like hapkido.

If you're going to go with TKD, be sure to find a school that focuses on individual techniques. Most modernized TKD (the "sport-ized" school) schools only teach you a bit of technique and have you go out and spar - the students there usually only flail their legs.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Everybody is going to defend their favorite thing.
It really depends on exactly what your intentions are.
If you just want to feel that you need an edge over what you have now (nothing), then
most any art will give you that.
If you want to be able to handle 9 out of 10 real world street fights, then you need to go long and hard in any discipline; or,
find a blackhat artist who will show you real world techniques. This Must include grapling, b/c once someone who knows what they're
doing gets AHOLD of you, you're screwed. It's one thing if you can always keep someone to your outside, but once they're on your inside,
it changes to grapling, and that changes everything--striking is basically over.

littlegohan

Oct 10, 2001

<< I studied SHlTO-Ryu (had to use an "L" because the freakin AT thinks im cussing) Karate under a Sensei who I swear had gotten off the plane from japan that MORNING. Anyway, did that for 9 years, got my shodan, and then went to wrestling/grappling. Learned some value lessons:

a) You can get lucky and dodge a punch of block a kick, but no one ever gets lucky and blocks a good wrestling takedown
b) Combination of Wrestling/grappling + "striking" martial art is probably the most effective
c) if you can only fight on your feet, you better pray to god you never fight anyone who has experience in wrestling or grappling. When the fight reaches the ground, you're screwed.
d) cant expect to be a ninja in 6 weeks (i.e. ignorant belief of the Marine Corps martial arts program)
e) if a move isn't absolutely ingrained until it is pure instinct, you'll forget about it when you get out there and the adreanaline starts pumping

case in point: The UFC and other such organizations originally started by pitting one martial art against another to determine which is "the best martial art." What they learned was that after a while, everyone started learning the same thing to be the most effective. And that same thing was a combination of wrestling and a striking art. Look at the top UFC fighters now. All of them have dual experience. Even bruce lee, as good as he was, would get his a$$ creamed in the upper levels of the UFC.
>>

dude, bruce lee wont get creamed
his jeet kwon do has no definite form, he can pretty much counter anything
besides
i dont think anyone can take a punch from him and still stand

littlegohan

Oct 10, 2001

<<

and you seem pretty intrested in bruce lee's technique "jeet kune do" ) ...i don't think it's taught because it really isn't a style. (btw why do you keep calling it jie kwan doa??) however if you would like to learn the style that was the basis for bruce lee's style, look into wing chun, its a form of close-range kung fu.
>>

sorry, i didnt know the exact name of it. i only know the name in chinese
thx for telling me though

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< and you seem pretty intrested in bruce lee's technique "jeet kune do" ) ...i don't think it's taught because it really isn't a style. (btw why do you keep calling it jie kwan doa??) however if you would like to learn the style that was the basis for bruce lee's style, look into wing chun, its a form of close-range kung fu. >>

You don't know what you're talking about. I studied JKD for a couple years. It most definitely is taught, and it is absolutely a style. Not in the traditional sense, but most traditional martial arts won't help you fight until you're a master.

http://www.jkd.com

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Hey Daniel :) It wouldn't be a good Martial Arts thread without a couple posts from you brudda. Did you ever pick up that copy of Go Rin No Sho I suggested to you?
littlegohan Almost all Martial Arts have what some call "Pearls" to offer. Pearls are techniques that are fundamentaly sound and effective in nature. What is most important is that before you pick some place to train you evaluate the facilities and systems firsthand. The best way is to ask to participate in or observe a workout or two. Then choose one where you find you have a healthy respect for the instuctors and/or system and believe that you would enjoy learning that system, and would also enjoy learning from those who offer instruction in it. Finally, It's important to understand that there are no great Martial Arts(although some are far more glaringly deficient than others) only great Martial Artist.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Dragonball Z style. Learn to throw fireballs, fly, "blink" out of sight, and withtand damage equivalent to nuclear bombs.

If dont have the will to do that, then Carrying a Smith and Wesson, flash grenades and wearing body armor comes a close 2nd. :)

Flat

Banned
Jan 18, 2001
Footwork is key

In all martial arts this is the fundemental aspect.

For example a fencer can usually jump right into boxing and do very well because they have the finest footwork of any martial art imo.

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< Hey Daniel :) It wouldn't be a good Martial Arts thread without a couple posts from you brudda. Did you ever pick up that copy of Go Rin No Sho I suggested to you?
>>

Ahh I'm honored :) As for the book in all honesty its on my list of things to get, but with a new job where I have more to read than I could describe and smack in the middle of a cisco class that takes about another 1000 pages/month out of me most personal reading has to be put on the back burner for a bit until I get settled in here.

<< Footwork is key

In all martial arts this is the fundemental aspect.
>>

It might be in all martial arts but it isn't done well in all of them. I teach modern arnis pretty often and I emphasize the footwork very much which usually isn't pushed much in that style and some people tend to think i'm anal about it, but like Flat said above, it is critical. I always say you can 1,000 really cool techniques but if you can't get out of the way of the strike it won't do you one bit of good.

DJFuji

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
>>I studied SHlTO-Ryu (had to use an "L" because the freakin AT thinks im cussing) Karate under a Sensei who I swear had gotten off the plane from japan that MORNING. Anyway, did that for 9 years, got my shodan, and then went to wrestling/grappling. Learned some value lessons:

a) You can get lucky and dodge a punch of block a kick, but no one ever gets lucky and blocks a good wrestling takedown
b) Combination of Wrestling/grappling + "striking" martial art is probably the most effective
c) if you can only fight on your feet, you better pray to god you never fight anyone who has experience in wrestling or grappling. When the fight reaches the ground, you're screwed.
d) cant expect to be a ninja in 6 weeks (i.e. ignorant belief of the Marine Corps martial arts program)
e) if a move isn't absolutely ingrained until it is pure instinct, you'll forget about it when you get out there and the adreanaline starts pumping

case in point: The UFC and other such organizations originally started by pitting one martial art against another to determine which is "the best martial art." What they learned was that after a while, everyone started learning the same thing to be the most effective. And that same thing was a combination of wrestling and a striking art. Look at the top UFC fighters now. All of them have dual experience. Even bruce lee, as good as he was, would get his a$$ creamed in the upper levels of the UFC.

>>dude, bruce lee wont get creamed
his jeet kwon do has no definite form, he can pretty much counter anything
besides
i dont think anyone can take a punch from him and still stand

Ok buddy, first off because you're the creater of this entire thread, i know you're no master in any of the fighting arts. That being said, why are you speaking like you are? If you were such an 'expert' on jeet kune do (not jeet kwon do or whatever you keep calling it) and what it can do, then you wouldn't be posting here asking for advice.

I trained for 9 years in the striking arts, and another 5 years in the grappling arts. (freestyle and folkstyle wrestling and some judo) I know that there are advantages to both, but that in a "no-holds-barred" fight like the UFC, someone who only knows a striking art is going to get his butt kicked. And that would include Bruce Lee. Don't let inflated stories of his legend cloud your thinking.

And to the the people here who think that because you're big, people can't take you down...well then obviously you are not well versed in the grappling arts. Go to your local college or JC and try to avoid being taken down by the wrestling coach or one of their top wrestlers. I've seen guys 5'4" take down other guys a foot and a half taller than them who have no experience. It's all about training.